• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Providing benefits to employees"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Various allowances for employees available for use.

Sight test & Glasses

Nursery Vouchers

Coffee, tea, Electricity etc

loads of rules on HMRC website.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Does that cover LCD VDUs?
    LCD VDU = VDU

Just get your optician to write a note on your prescription that you need them for VDU work.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Does that cover LCD VDUs?

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I think you can have some money towards your your optical device needed to comply with Healthy and Safety Regulations.

Ask your accountant.
    I believe you can claim for glasses if the optician will confirm that they are required solely for VDU use.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Hex View Post
    You can have the eye test tax free. Your company can pay. The other items would incur a BIK.
    I think you can have some money towards your your optical device needed to comply with Healthy and Safety Regulations.

Ask your accountant.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    BIK - treated as though you'd received it as salary and paid for the service yourself.

So, gym membership costs £1000 a year. Your company pays that. The company then must deduct the eenic and tax from that £1000 from your salary, and pay the ernic.

Leave a comment:

• Crossroads
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    BIK? I didn't come across that before.
    You mean you didn't declare it as a benefit you received...

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Benefit in Kind.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    Many big companies provide benefits to employees. A previous employer of mine paid for eye tests and would give you £X towards new glasses, and also had discounted rates on gyms etc. Or some companies actually have their own facilities like gyms and provide food for employees.

Is there any reason I can't do this in my company? And is there any benefit to doing it, regarding income tax/VAT? The obvious potential disadvantage would be if I ever hired employees but let's leave that out of the equation.
    You can have the eye test tax free. Your company can pay. The other items would incur a BIK.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    When a bigco pays for employee benefits, some of those will count as BIK. So tax and NI will be due. This is fine for employees, as they're only paying the tax on it. Totally pointless for company owners, as all you'll be doing is paying more tax than you need - employers NI. Better declare a dividend and pay your gym membership from that.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Providing benefits to employees

Providing benefits to employees

Many big companies provide benefits to employees. A previous employer of mine paid for eye tests and would give you £X towards new glasses, and also had discounted rates on gyms etc. Or some companies actually have their own facilities like gyms and provide food for employees.

Is there any reason I can't do this in my company? And is there any benefit to doing it, regarding income tax/VAT? The obvious potential disadvantage would be if I ever hired employees but let's leave that out of the equation.

Working...
X