• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Results of the Umbrella survey"

Collapse

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    c) Split Ltd ownership with low/nil earning partner and dividend allocation to both share owners?

Or otherwise please divulge and allow us to make use of the system too!

c)

+ Expenses [with reciepts]
    + VAT FRS

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    neither.
    c) Split Ltd ownership with low/nil earning partner and dividend allocation to both share owners?

Or otherwise please divulge and allow us to make use of the system too!

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    I guess you achieve that by using either:-

a) A Ltd employing taper relief over more than 2 years.
    b) An "umbrella" which (legally) uses exotic methods of payment and tax avoidance.

Unfortunately both are a dying breed and HMRC seem to be intent on reducing contractor post-tax earnings any way they can...

Still, I think 67% is about right.
    neither.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    Err, no, it's not right.

You cannot be fined for tax avoidance (yet!)
    But you can be fined for being negligent in preparing your tax returns, which is what is happening here.

So the answer to the original question is:
    Yes, you can be fined (it's called a tax penalty)
    No, it won't be for Tax avoidance.

HTH

tim

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    the example is "worst case"

i myself can take about 83%
    I guess you achieve that by using either:-

a) A Ltd employing taper relief over more than 2 years.
    b) An "umbrella" which (legally) uses exotic methods of payment and tax avoidance.

Unfortunately both are a dying breed and HMRC seem to be intent on reducing contractor post-tax earnings any way they can...

Still, I think 67% is about right.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian View Post
    I realise I'll be earning more. I know it depends how you pay yourself - It's just that I was expecting to see a higher percentage of gross earnings. Not a drop of 10%.
    the example is "worst case"

i myself can take about 83%

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    Err, no, it's not right.

You could be fined for fraud I guess.
    RS

They just fine you for not having or failing to keep records.

It doesn't have a name like "avoidance" or "fraud" - unless you are really stupid in which case they take you to court for fraud and then you'd be happy with just a fine

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied
    I realise I'll be earning more. I know it depends how you pay yourself - It's just that I was expecting to see a higher percentage of gross earnings. Not a drop of 10%.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian View Post
    "A contractor earning £1000 per week with no expenses will take home about £624.00"

Does this sound about right? I've only just started contracting so the money side hasn't settled down yet. But as a permie I was taking home about 70% of my untaxed salary. According to this, it will only now be just over 60%
    It sounds like as a permie you were in the lower rate tax band - less than £39000ish a year, so 22% tax and 11% NI (NI could be lower if you were contracted out of SSP).

You should earn significantly more than that as a contractor - while there is plenty of work around, when there is no work around you will earn significantly less.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied
    "A contractor earning £1000 per week with no expenses will take home about £624.00"

Does this sound about right? I've only just started contracting so the money side hasn't settled down yet. But as a permie I was taking home about 70% of my untaxed salary. According to this, it will only now be just over 60%

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Err, no, it's not right.

You could be fined for fraud I guess.
    RS

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Is this right?
    Yes.

Unless you can support your claims for your out of pocket expenditure, it's fraud.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If you could then not produce receipts to support your expense claims you would have to repay any tax relief you had received and could also be fined for tax avoidance.
    Is this right?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    started a topic Results of the Umbrella survey

Results of the Umbrella survey

Are out now

Can we get a sticky of the body of the article in here?

Working...
X