• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Basic question regarding new Limited Co and tax"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by hobnob View Post

In fairness, that would be a bit premature if the company doesn't exist yet (and won't exist for another 6 months).
    That's fair but finding one and getting some advice upfront on the promise of business from August could save him time and problems.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why don't you have an accountant?
    In fairness, that would be a bit premature if the company doesn't exist yet (and won't exist for another 6 months).

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkusB View Post
    Or do I need to do a Personal return for invoices during the period before company (Apr - Aug) and then also a company return for company invoices Aug-Apr?
    Following up on what jamesbrown said, your personal tax year runs from Apr-Apr, while the company's tax year will run from Sep-Aug. That means that you'll still need to do a SATR as normal after Apr 2025, which includes any sole trader income and any income you get from the limited company (salary/dividends). Your company will also have to submit its own year end accounts after Aug 2025, and you'll need an accountant to help you with that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Why don't you have an accountant?

Leave a comment:

• MarkusB
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    The company didn't exist before August so it would be rather hard for it to invoice before August. [...] The first and most important thing to understand about a company is that it isn't you, it's a separate legal entity.
    Ah yes, of course. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MarkusB
    replied
    Yes, a sole trader. The company is to be setup in Aug 2024.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Here is that case for anyone interested:

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/u...94e06b9e19e690

Again, not relevant to the OP who received personal income and needs to complete a SATR indicating that income. Any invoices properly raised after incorporation would be company income, of course.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    ( And to be absolutely clear, the special facts of that case I mentioned absolutely do not apply in your case because the fees were paid to your personally. )

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    The company didn't exist before August so it would be rather hard for it to invoice before August. That said, it isn't quite that straightforward - there was a tribunal case about a decade or so ago (I forget the name) that HMRC lost in attempting to reassign pre-incorporation invoices to the individual who performed the work as personal income, but there were some special facts in that case. However, you can claim several pre-incorporation expenses, which is routine. The first and most important thing to understand about a company is that it isn't you, it's a separate legal entity.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkusB View Post
    Invoices before August paid into Personal bank account. Invoice after paid into Business account.
    I'm guessing this is related to your previous post (from 2022):
    Consulting newbie in the UK - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
    I.e. the old invoices are/were paid into your personal bank account because you're a sole trader?

Also, just to clarify, are you planning to start using a limited company later this year (Aug 2024) or did you start using it last year (Aug 2023)?

Leave a comment:

• MarkusB
    replied
    Thanks. Invoices before August paid into Personal bank account. Invoice after paid into Business account. (The nature of the services provided is same before and after.)

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Your accountant can take you through all of this.
    How did you invoice before August, and what bank account was it paid into?
    And what are the answers since august?

Leave a comment:

• MarkusB
    started a topic Basic question regarding new Limited Co and tax

Basic question regarding new Limited Co and tax

If I setup a limited company in August, when it comes time to complete my tax return can I record all my fees for that tax year against that company?

Or do I need to do a Personal return for invoices during the period before company (Apr - Aug) and then also a company return for company invoices Aug-Apr?

Working...
X