• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IPSE Plus

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IPSE Plus"

Collapse

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Each to their own, but your analogy doesn’t work. I don’t like wasting money, but I can’t be bothered with that level of nonsense to save 5%. Technically, they could probably implement something much simpler like registering a card with Perkbox.
    They did used to have a reloadable card per supermarket that I much preferred as I could just always top it up when it went under £100. But they took that away, so I buy £500 vouchers instead.

Good contractors know a small bit of admin every couple months is worth the trouble
    Last edited by PerfectStorm; 21 January 2022, 09:13.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

I refer you to "close".

Obviously, YMMV. Personally, I would rather focusing on what's coming in than what's going out.
    As you can tell from my posts above, I don't exactly go out of my way to chase down the savings either

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If it were zero effort, we'd all do it.
    I refer you to "close".

Obviously, YMMV. Personally, I would rather focusing on what's coming in than what's going out.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Saving money nearly always involves effort. If it were zero effort, we'd all do it.

That's why retailers issue vouchers or discount codes that you have to actively remember to use rather than automatically applying discounts.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

That exists for certain suppliers - I got £20 in my perkbox wallet from my Christmas vino purchase (which I then used to purchase a tesco voucher...)
    If they went this route more generally, I would register (and then probably never spend the winnings ) because that is close to zero effort, which is where it needs to be.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Each to their own, but your analogy doesn’t work. I don’t like wasting money, but I can’t be bothered with that level of nonsense to save 5%. Technically, they could probably implement something much simpler like registering a card with Perkbox.
    That exists for certain suppliers - I got £20 in my perkbox wallet from my Christmas vino purchase (which I then used to purchase a tesco voucher...)

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Yes you do but you can make it very easy on yourself - don't buy the vouchers to-order per shop, buy the maximum amount (e.g. £500 sainsburies) and store it in the Wallet app on your phone or Books app or similar as a PDF. You then just scan that, drawing down as you go, until you need your next £500 block.

Saving £5 on £100 is the same as picking up a fiver off the pavement each time you do it - and I bet you wouldn't ignore that.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied

I think you have to pre-purchase vouchers or something in order to get ~5% off. If you can be fecked, I suppose. But I guess that is how it works more generally too - personally, I cannot be fecked with purchasing vouchers.
    Yes you do but you can make it very easy on yourself - don't buy the vouchers to-order per shop, buy the maximum amount (e.g. £500 sainsburies) and store it in the Wallet app on your phone or Books app or similar as a PDF. You then just scan that, drawing down as you go, until you need your next £500 block.

Saving £5 on £100 is the same as picking up a fiver off the pavement each time you do it - and I bet you wouldn't ignore that.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Do you not use a supermarket for food? I reckon most people could at least use that
    I have to admit to being very lazy and I don't pre-buy the vouchers for day to day spending. I only occasionally remember about Perkbox for other spending too.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

I think you have to pre-purchase vouchers or something in order to get ~5% off. If you can be fecked, I suppose. But I guess that is how it works more generally too - personally, I cannot be fecked with purchasing vouchers.
    yeah I print vouchers that I use at Tesco express. Saves 4% I think, but also makes paying very easy - wave the voucher in front of the scanner. Probably save 50-100 a year using it (more if I could persuade Mr ms that paying with vouchers doesn't make us look desperate!), plus a big purchase or two from curry's, + the odd MGM amazon voucher

https://www.ipse.co.uk/joinme/066626/ for £50 off for you, and £50 for me

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Do you not use a supermarket for food? I reckon most people could at least use that

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Agreed, but I know people who have covered a couple of years' membership costs with Jury Service cover, and one ex-chairman claims to have used Perkbox well enough to pay for ten years' worth...

Never used either in my case, to be fair, but then I haven't needed to. Bit like most benefits in fact.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    At the end of the day it's an insurance package and, like all insurances, its value to you is determined by your attitude to the risks the package is covering.

There's things like perkbox and a few other bits that help you offset the cost of membership if you choose to make use of them but they're only good if they relate to things you'd do anyway.
    Agreed, but I know people who have covered a couple of years' membership costs with Jury Service cover, and one ex-chairman claims to have used Perkbox well enough to pay for ten years' worth...

Never used either in my case, to be fair, but then I haven't needed to. Bit like most benefits in fact.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    At the end of the day it's an insurance package and, like all insurances, its value to you is determined by your attitude to the risks the package is covering.

There's things like perkbox and a few other bits that help you offset the cost of membership if you choose to make use of them but they're only good if they relate to things you'd do anyway.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Whilst I don't think all their benefits are benefits (death in service cover, or if you're off hospital for 2 weeks we'll give you tuppence ha'penny....)

If you buy all your supermarket shopping with their vouchers and use their 10% hotel discount on the big resellers it's just about worth it. Plus, I've been investigated, and they were great for that too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X