• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving SIPP provider"

Collapse

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Your customer service experience is by no means universal.
    Just to be clear, I meant the online trading platforms, which are far from "the exact same thing" - imho.

I would also rate the ii platform above AJB, fwiw.

No particular view on 'customer service' between the three. I trade pretty infrequently, but I like to think my money is being taken good care of by a competent organisation and the platform affects that view, subjectively of course.

Not keeping all eggs in one basket is also a factor for me.
    Last edited by Contreras; 31 October 2021, 10:12.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    In answer to the original question you let the new provider handle it.

The existing provider may charge exit fees (per item) but the new provider may cover this to get your business - ask them.

Service? I have accounts at both and the online dealing platforms are a world apart imho. Also, neither of them charge % fee for direct stocks or ETFs.
    Your customer service experience is by no means universal.

The charges situation is much more complex if you only look at holding stocks, investment trusts or exchange traded funds and excluding unit trusts and open ended investment companies. However, my statement still stands. I would never advise anyone to allow the platform charges tail to wag the investment dog. The majority of retail investors will most likely wish to hold some funds. By ruling out investing in funds due solely to charges you are excluding the majority of the UK retail investment market. If would mean, for example, that an investor couldn't invest in Fundsmith or Blue Whale Growth Fund, the two investments that everyone investing for the future should probably hold as foundation holdings.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    In answer to the original question you let the new provider handle it.

The existing provider may charge exit fees (per item) but the new provider may cover this to get your business - ask them.

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I would never advise anyone to open an account at HL in preference to AJB. Why pay nearly double for the exact same thing?
    Service? I have accounts at both and the online dealing platforms are a world apart imho. Also, neither of them charge % fee for direct stocks or ETFs.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    until you get to £25k in HL it is actually very well priced.
    So fine for starting a SIPP. Even at £50k it's pretty competitive, but after that it starts to slip down against the competition.
    If you hold identical fund holdings at HL and at AJ Bell, the charge at the platforms is 0.45% versus 0.25%. So, whilst these are smallish amounts, I would never advise anyone to open an account at HL in preference to AJB. Why pay nearly double for the exact same thing?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    until you get to £25k in HL it is actually very well priced.
    So fine for starting a SIPP. Even at £50k it's pretty competitive, but after that it starts to slip down against the competition.

Leave a comment:

• gisp
    replied
    Thanks all. This confirmed my understanding of things.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    It depends. You mentioned vanguard. They will accept cash or vanguard funds and etfs.

Whether hl will he prepared to effect the transfer of any vanguard funds tou hold is purely a matter for them.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by gisp View Post
    Hi all,

new to SIPP and just put some money in HL SIPP account.
    Now, I know HL are one of the expensive ones, so I might decide to move to likes of vanguard similar. I just opened the easier one to open last FY.
    If I want to move SIPP do I move money only or shares/funds? If I buy shares/funds do I need to sell them for cash and move the cash to another SIPP? Or move the shares/funds to the other provider?
    You understand that if you transfer to Vanguard you will not be able to invest in non Vanguard products? If you hold non Vanguard products at HL, you will have to sell and transfer cash. Otherwise, transferring investments "in specie" to another retail platform is highly likely possible. The actual transfer process is very easy. The receiving company do all the legwork after you fill in the forms, but I recommend you keep an eye out for foot dragging and delaying tactics by Hargreaves Lansdown.

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    Just initiate the transfer from the new provider. They'll take care of it all.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Why not ask the SIPP provider? They may have an inkling...

Leave a comment:

• gisp
    started a topic Moving SIPP provider

Moving SIPP provider

Hi all,

new to SIPP and just put some money in HL SIPP account.
    Now, I know HL are one of the expensive ones, so I might decide to move to likes of vanguard similar. I just opened the easier one to open last FY.
    If I want to move SIPP do I move money only or shares/funds? If I buy shares/funds do I need to sell them for cash and move the cash to another SIPP? Or move the shares/funds to the other provider?

Working...
X