• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "MVL best option for me?"

Collapse

• GummiBear
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Given the new information - MVL the company and go permie or via an umbrella until things settle down.

It makes zero sense doing anything else if you can extract £x,000 - 10%, even putting it into your pension makes little sense.
    I was thinking whatever I can put into the SIPP pension - that would at least reduce my corp tax liability and save on the 10% capital gains liability.

Once extracted, I would be looking to invest the proceeds - so may as well be in a SIPP - just buy some dividend yielding stocks or funds etc.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Given the new information - MVL the company and go permie or via an umbrella until things settle down.

It makes zero sense doing anything else if you can extract £x,000 - 10%, even putting it into your pension makes little sense.

Leave a comment:

• GummiBear
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why go perm? Why not just go inside via brolly?
    Yes, either Perm or Brolly - both are highly taxed options - if you end up with the same net salary on a Brolly as a Perm - Perm prob better option due to benefits.

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    How much reserves? As it could be better to wait till it’s below 25k and strike off. But if it’s 40k+ it’s probably worth it.

Maybe see if there’s anything in March 3rd budget to guide you in one or another direction.
    Reserves are quite substantial - a few hundred K
    I need to look at what tax efficient options I have - perhaps before MVL - I should transfer some funds to a SIPP (only set one up a year ago but yet to transfer anything into it) - my company year end was Dec 2020 - does anyone know if you need to transfer to SIPP before the company year end or you can do it after and still reduce your corp tax liability. My accountant doesn't appear to be clued up on SIPP contributions reducing corp tax - which doesn't fulfill me with much confidence.

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Or... if if is £40K+ but you can pay dividends at the 7.5% rate to bring it under £25K...
    I made the mistake of not taking out large dividends as the years went by and left most of it to accumulate. I was contemplating setting up a SPV and doing BTL - however, I think with this I still need the original company - which might be a liability.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    How much reserves? As it could be better to wait till it’s below 25k and strike off. But if it’s 40k+ it’s probably worth it.
    Or... if if is £40K+ but you can pay dividends at the 7.5% rate to bring it under £25K...

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied

Maybe see if there’s anything in March 3rd budget to guide you in one or another direction.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Why go perm? Why not just go inside via brolly?

Leave a comment:

• GummiBear
    started a topic MVL best option for me?

MVL best option for me?

Hi Folks,

After 4.5 yrs with one client my contract has come to an end with no further renewals.

I know the regulars will see this as a red flag and being very much in the danger zone.

As a result, is the best course of action for me, is to close down the company via MVL (reserves > £25k), get a permie job for 2 years and if I can get an outside gig after 2 yrs, start up again?

Thanks.

Working...
X