• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New to SIPP, some questions"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    That's you told
    I'll take that

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by win10 View Post
    NLUK: annoying as you can be, appreciate your help.
    That's you told

Leave a comment:

• win10
    replied
    Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    In simple terms - paying into a pension via salary sacrifice will reduce all tax and NI contributions
    I think I found the answer. Before NLUK's input.
    NLUK: annoying as you can be, appreciate your help.
    Last edited by win10; 17 November 2020, 12:58.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I am confused here. How is this salary sacrifice different to an umbrella that dont do it?
    E.g I get my net pay (gross - tax nad 2xNICs) of £100 and I put this £100 into SIPP. I still £25 from the government i.e. tax back. I loose the NICs.
    You described the same above.
    Is putting in SIPP via salary sacrifice a way to NOT pay NICs?
    You really need to do a bit of your own research. Here is a link asking the same question, covering the same points and hopefully answering this and the rest of teh questions you haven't asked yet.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...mbrella-2.html

There are plenty more if you use the google search method to search the forums or just google for articles.

Leave a comment:

• win10
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Nope Salary Sacrifice =100% of the money received. So £100 from the pre tax "agency umbrella rate" (i.e the money the agency pays your umbrella for the work you did) goes into your pension.

From paid income you can reclaim the income tax paid but not the NIC part so for every £100 - you would receive £55 of it after tax in your bank account. If you then paid that £55 into your pension the income tax refund will take it up to £75 or so.

So Salary Sacrifice will put £25 (or 1/3 depending on how you calculate) more into your pension with less work by you - all it requires is picking a good umbrella company.
    I am confused here. How is this salary sacrifice different to an umbrella that dont do it?
    E.g I get my net pay (gross - tax nad 2xNICs) of £100 and I put this £100 into SIPP. I still £25 from the government i.e. tax back. I loose the NICs.
    You described the same above.
    Is putting in SIPP via salary sacrifice a way to NOT pay NICs?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Thanks for the input. Did my reading and clear now.

However for future reference what is the situation with umbrella and SIPP?
    If they want to contribute upto 40k, great.
    But if they dont want can you contribute yourself from the post tax and NIC money and get the taxes back (at 40% - 20 via SIPP scheme and 20% via SATR)?
    I guess in this way you loose the ~12% (or is is 25% NIC)?

If the umbrella wants to pay 40k into SIPP is this from the gross income i.e. you also save on NIC?
    Thought you did your reading and it was clear now?

You join an umbrella that lets you put in to your SIPP and carry on as normal.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    If they do it is this pre tax and NIC at 25%? So effective saving of ~45%?
    Nope Salary Sacrifice =100% of the money received. So £100 from the pre tax "agency umbrella rate" (i.e the money the agency pays your umbrella for the work you did) goes into your pension.

From paid income you can reclaim the income tax paid but not the NIC part so for every £100 - you would receive £55 of it after tax in your bank account. If you then paid that £55 into your pension the income tax refund will take it up to £75 or so.

So Salary Sacrifice will put £25 (or 1/3 depending on how you calculate) more into your pension with less work by you - all it requires is picking a good umbrella company.
    Last edited by eek; 9 December 2020, 16:24.

Leave a comment:

• win10
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    If an umbrella offers salary sacrifice you won't pay any tax on the money.

If they don't you will end up being able to claim the income tax proportion back but will lose 25% or so due to Employer and Employee NI.
    If they do it is this pre tax and NIC at 25%? So effective saving of ~45%?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    If an umbrella offers salary sacrifice you won't pay any tax on the money.

If they don't you will end up being able to claim the income tax proportion back but will lose 25% or so due to Employer and Employee NI.

Leave a comment:

• win10
    replied
    Thanks for the input. Did my reading and clear now.

However for future reference what is the situation with umbrella and SIPP?
    If they want to contribute upto 40k, great.
    But if they dont want can you contribute yourself from the post tax and NIC money and get the taxes back (at 40% - 20 via SIPP scheme and 20% via SATR)?
    I guess in this way you loose the ~12% (or is is 25% NIC)?

If the umbrella wants to pay 40k into SIPP is this from the gross income i.e. you also save on NIC?

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Questions:
    If I have personal savings of 40k.
    If I open a SIPP now and dont pay 40k from the company, but put my own saved 40k.
    Can I do this at all or it must be up to 8k (my salary)?
    And will I get any tax back? Mind I havent paid any tax when on 8k salary.
    How does this work?
    You can pay up to your salary (£8K) but this includes tax relief. So, you'd pay in £6,400 and your SIPP Pension provider should top it up with £1,600 tax relief at some point thereafter. You can pay in more than your earnings, but you're not eligible for tax relief on the additional payment.

You really need to learn how to use google. Here's one randomly selected result when searching "how much can I pay into a SIPP"

Contributing to your pension | AJ Bell Youinvest

It even has a nice picture:

Last edited by Paralytic; 16 November 2020, 13:28.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Questions:
    If I open a SIPP now and dont pay 40k from the company, but put my own saved 40k.
    How does this work?
    You are clearly struggling badly with this whole thing so instead of asking a few high level questions you need a better low level grasp of this so I would say you need ot go ask a professional. Might seem like a simple question but it's asking to explain the whole thing to you. You really need to get this right so either do some research online or chat to your accountant or friendly IFA. Asking a bunch of contractors to teach you the basic of pensions isn't the best start.

Leave a comment:

• win10
    replied
    Questions:
    How does this work?

Leave a comment:

• sludgesurfer
    replied
    Any more insight on the other questions will be appreciated.
    Go to this site. Read it. Particularly the platform comparison table.

Monevator — Make more money, invest profitably, retire early

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Other important thing. Are SIPP pots protected if the provider/investment fund went kaput? I have read they are by the state for up to £85k. This doesnt of course cover bad investment. Is that so?
    How are my investments protected?

Would I lose my pension if my investing platform goes bust? | This is Money

Leave a comment:

Working...
X