• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brainstorming: Umbrella - furlough situation"

Collapse

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    If you can't work out what it fixes then I've done exactly what I intended to, answering the question 100% correctly while revealing absolutely nothing but there is enough information to work out what I'm doing if you think about it.
    No really. You've still not said what the issue is other than "Compliance".

It really hope its not another contractor-brainwave-solution for a problem that does not really exist, but, I'll hold my own personal judgement until you're ready for your grand unveiling. I hope its worth it - you've been hinting at something big for a couple of weeks now.

I'm particularly interested who the customer is (ie, who is paying for it, in some form) for this "compliance" issue.

Leave a comment:

• Wary
    replied
    Originally posted by anim View Post
    Is that so? Nice if it is.
    In case you've not already seen it, there are specific reviews on Umbrellas & their participation in CJRS
    Find fairer IR35 & CV19 clients, agents & brollys. OffPayroll.org.uk
    Bear in mind that one can't be sure how genuine all reviews are of course, especially as it is not necessary to register and some appear to have written multiple reviews.

Leave a comment:

• anim
    replied
    Frankly I dont think there will ever be any 80%, no employer chip in scheme any more.

Leave a comment:

• Wary
    replied
    Originally posted by anim View Post
    It is not fair an eligible contractor not to be furloughed.
    A typical brolly contractor has lost upto £15k for the last 6 months is not on it.
    I suspect that many brollies may have ended their participation in the furlough scheme after July, when the employer was expected to start contributing some of the wages. I've not really seen much feedback on these forums either way though.

Leave a comment:

• anim
    replied
    Originally posted by Wary View Post
    Whilst I understand the pitfalls & downside of brollies furloughing contractors who were eligible, they’re obviously not showstoppers as a great many umbrellas (seemingly the majority) did participate in the CJRS. Lucy @ Clarity, PayStream, Parasol, Mango, Giant … presumably because their ethos isn’t all about maximising their profit. There were a few exceptions of course, who are only in it for themselves, such as Contractor Umbrella.
    It is not fair an eligible contractor not to be furloughed.
    A typical brolly contractor has lost upto £15k for the last 6 months is not on it.

Leave a comment:

• Wary
    replied
    Whilst I understand the pitfalls & downside of brollies furloughing contractors who were eligible, they’re obviously not showstoppers as a great many umbrellas (seemingly the majority) did participate in the CJRS. Lucy @ Clarity, PayStream, Parasol, Mango, Giant … presumably because their ethos isn’t all about maximising their profit. There were a few exceptions of course, who are only in it for themselves, such as Contractor Umbrella.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Who has an issue with compliance today? And compliance with what? As far as I am aware, there are no regulatory compliance requirements for Umbrellas.

I'm still not clear who the beneficiary of this solution/service is/will be.
    If you can't work out what it fixes then I've done exactly what I intended to, answering the question 100% correctly while revealing absolutely nothing but there is enough information to work out what I'm doing if you think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Compliance.
    Who has an issue with compliance today? And compliance with what? As far as I am aware, there are no regulatory compliance requirements for Umbrellas.

I'm still not clear who the beneficiary of this solution/service is/will be.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    It's clear you're not (yet) ready to tell share the solution. But, can you share the issue this solution is going to resolve, and for whom it is resolving it?
    Compliance.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Being frank I was surprised it was a runner (I thought it might be but you never really know). In this case it does seem that it actually will be because it solves an issue that they've never been able to sensible solve....
    It's clear you're not (yet) ready to share the solution. But, can you share the issue this solution is going to resolve, and for whom it is resolving it?
    Last edited by Paralytic; 14 October 2020, 15:43.

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    Do you have plans to reveal it or any information about this idea or what problem it solves so is fellow contractors can either thumbs up or ridicule your idea

Genuinely interested to hear new ideas as the landscape changes

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    This reminds me of the folk that used to go on shows like X-Factor and tell the judges the all their friends and family said they were brilliant and should go on the show. Then they sing and sound like a crying baby.

Looking forward to hearing the details
    Well in this case my friends are:-

Umbrella companies
    Agencies
    Employment and tax lawyers
    Oh and later today one of the recruitment industry's factoring companies

Being frank I was surprised it was a runner (I thought it might be but you never really know). In this case it does seem that it actually will be because it solves an issue that they've never been able to sensible solve....
    Last edited by eek; 14 October 2020, 10:53.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Because I do have a plan and everyone who has heard it confirms it's a runner (but then again this isn't a brand new thread and I'm sneaky for good reason).
    This reminds me of the folk that used to go on shows like X-Factor and tell the judges the all their friends and family said they were brilliant and should go on the show. Then they sing and sound like a crying baby.

Looking forward to hearing the details

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    To be fair.. Every single great idea that has been flouted on here, bar absolutely none, has fallen over because the OP didn't understand the basics of what they were suggesting and carried on until it became a complete waste of time discussing, even if it had a modicum of merit in the beginning.

There are cleverer folk than us making these schemes up. If a contractor has to dream one up you can bet your house its been thought off and didn't work.

This one isn't going to fly either unfortunately.
    On here as in this thread or on here as in the forum as a whole.

Because I do have a plan and everyone who has heard it confirms it's a runner (but then again this isn't a brand new thread and I'm sneaky for good reason).

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Why don’t you ask your umbrella why they don’t offer the furlough?
    Might help the discussion.
    He's already been told why; he just doesn't like the answer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X