• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Office Chair Purchase"

Collapse

• The Bona Fide
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    Anyone care to recommend a chair that works well with a carpet. My loft study has a medium-sized pile which shows up when manoeuvring on a chair.

I have heard you can get buy special castor wheels designed for carpets but have no idea.

PS don't like the idea of getting a plastic sheet for the chair.
    I went for the hard compound casters as most of my floors are hard wood but the flooring in my study is carpet, though it has no pile as such so I'm guessing they will suit.

Should be here any day now (looks for the rubbing hands together with glee smiley)

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    It's for drivel, not actual help.
    Someone called?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    Ask your accountant! And if you can't ask your accountant, ask Google!

Whaddya think this is. A forum or summat?
    It's for drivel, not actual help.

Leave a comment:

• Amanensia
    replied
    Ask your accountant! And if you can't ask your accountant, ask Google!

Whaddya think this is. A forum or summat?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    Anyone care to recommend a chair that works well with a carpet. My loft study has a medium-sized pile which shows up when manoeuvring on a chair.

I have heard you can get buy special castor wheels designed for carpets but have no idea.

There is this great thing just been released called Google. Saves people from looking incompetent..

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I have a perspex carpet protector which cover the roughly sq. metre that my chair covers. IKEA special.

KOLON, Floor protector, 120x100 cm - IKEA

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    You want smooth casters (nylon/metal), not rubberised ones, as the rubber drags on carpet and damages it.

However, that won't get over the general issue that the load bearing into five small points of focus will still cause dents in the carpet.

Leave a comment:

• ContractorBanking
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Bona Fide
    replied
    So I traipsed over to John Lewis to try out the rather limited selection that they had on display.

Among them were the HM Aeron, Sayl and Humanscale Liberty.

The Aeron was very comfortable as expected while the Sayl didn't meet my expectations at all - had a rigid back so I'm glad I just didn't order one on spec and made the effort to go to a shop.

I actually plumped for the Humanscale Liberty. About half the price of the Aeron and seemed just as comfortable. I look forward to its arrival. As does my lower back...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You're starting to sound like a Gricer incarnation now.

Leave a comment:

• The Bona Fide
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I tried one out as it was the one I wanted based on the aesthetics but didn’t find it as comfortable as the Aeron or the Embody.
    Yes, the Embody does seem to have a bit more padding. I think it all boils down to one's body type - I already have a bit of padding around my seat area

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
    I am actually quite liking the HM Mirra now. Seems a little less imposing than the Aeron. Anyone got one?

I tried one out as it was the one I wanted based on the aesthetics but didn’t find it as comfortable as the Aeron or the Embody.

Leave a comment:

• The Bona Fide
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    It’s a no brainer to invest money in a good chair especially if you mostly WFH.

Aerons are good but I recently got rid of my 12 year old Aeron for a new Herman Miller Embody. It’s not quite as breathable as the Aeron mesh but it’s really comfortable. Worth a look and ideally find a local supplier who can loan you one to try it out for a few weeks.

If you’re near London I got mine from a place in Romford - they loaned me a chair for 3 weeks then let me keep it it once my order was placed until it was ready (there is a lead time). They collected and delivered at the same time. I can DM you their name if you are interested.
    Thankyou - unfortunately I'm quite a way from old London Town these days.

It would be a great idea to be able to try one out but I don't think that's going to fly for me at the moment so I'm going in blind, to a certain degree. But a quality brand like HM is never going to disappoint.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    It’s a no brainer to invest money in a good chair especially if you mostly WFH.

Aerons are good but I recently got rid of my 12 year old Aeron for a new Herman Miller Embody. It’s not quite as breathable as the Aeron mesh but it’s really comfortable. Worth a look and ideally find a local supplier who can loan you one to try it out for a few weeks.

If you’re near London I got mine from a place in Romford - they loaned me a chair for 3 weeks then let me keep it it once my order was placed until it was ready (there is a lead time). They collected and delivered at the same time. I can DM you their name if you are interested.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Agree with eek - a cheap chair costs way more in the long run whether it's due to injury or more frequent replacement needs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X