• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CJRS - Furlough - Claim without RTI setup?"

Collapse

• Chart Accountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by konsultant View Post
    No, I can declare as dividend though I intend to take as salary but upon knowing RTI was not setup by accountant they will be dividend.

Anyways my original question was of eligibility to claim given the details in my 4th post and if there have been any lapses by the accountant here .

Thanks
    If you did not have a payroll scheme in operation and you did not declare any salary by the 19th March, then unfortunately you will not be eligible to make a claim. The scheme does not allow claims to be based on late submissions after the 19th March for 2019/20 as this could open the scheme to fraud which is clearly not the case with many who have missed to make a submission but this has been set up as the cut-off date so if the submission to declare a salary was not made by then, it is not possible to claim under the scheme.

If you did not have a payroll registration in 2019/20, you can still declare a director' salary at the LEL NIC threshold which will be £512 for 2019/20 and £520 for 2020/21.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
    This question actually has real merit - I along with others have properly declared their employment income on their self assessments but never did set up RTI PAYE either because they did not know or because they were running a small company

So despite the SA showing the income this scheme is not open to us - Is that the correct way of thinking about this?
    If you meet the criteria it's open to you. If you don't, it's not.

Leave a comment:

• LondonPM1
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    You can claim the moon is made of cheese. That's within the law. You'll not prove it though.
    So you can make a claim against the accountant. The question should be, can you afford to claim against the accountant, and are you likely to win?
    This question actually has real merit - I along with others have properly declared their employment income on their self assessments but never did set up RTI PAYE either because they did not know or because they were running a small company

So despite the SA showing the income this scheme is not open to us - Is that the correct way of thinking about this?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I understand re taking a nil salary if I am returning from perm. However as I've mentioned few times the accountant did not ask what salary I want, did not setup nil payment/ RTI and niether advised I should be taking no salary due to tax reasons.

All these were discussed only when I enquired about making a CJRS claim. So my questions were only

- Can I still make a claim given my situation?
    - Legally is there any claim against the accountant

Thanks

You can claim the moon is made of cheese. That's within the law. You'll not prove it though.
    So you can make a claim against the accountant. The question should be, can you afford to claim against the accountant, and are you likely to win?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    No and No

Leave a comment:

• konsultant
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If he's been perm for more than half the year it won't have been efficient for him to pay himself anything for the remaineder of the year. It's common practice. No one will have discussed him taking a salary but he did it anyway. I'd put money on it the former was explained and he missed/didn't understand it.

If I were the OP I'd be making some polite enquiries first before blaming the accountant.
    I understand re taking a nil salary if I am returning from perm. However as I've mentioned few times the accountant did not ask what salary I want, did not setup nil payment/ RTI and niether advised I should be taking no salary due to tax reasons.

All these were discussed only when I enquired about making a CJRS claim. So my questions were only

- Can I still make a claim given my situation?
    - Legally is there any claim against the accountant

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    Correct, it wouldn't have made any difference with your COVID related claim, but still raises questions about the accountant.
    I was in perm and returned to contracting towards end of 19. At this point, niether me nor accountant discussed about setting up payroll/ RTI.
    If he's been perm for more than half the year it won't have been efficient for him to pay himself anything for the remaineder of the year. It's common practice. No one will have discussed him taking a salary but he did it anyway. I'd put money on it the former was explained and he missed/didn't understand it.

If I were the OP I'd be making some polite enquiries first before blaming the accountant.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Thanks, yes it is part of accounting package, but a 80% of nil payment would have been 0 in that case
    Correct, it wouldn't have made any difference with your COVID related claim, but still raises questions about the accountant.

Leave a comment:

• konsultant
    replied
    Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    Depends on your accounting package but the accountant should have asked you if you want to take salary from the company and set it up for you.
    If taking a salary would not have been efficient for your tax situation (i.e. you went over the NI threshold due to your previous PAYE income for the year), RTI should have been set-up and reported to HMRC as 0 if you don't have any other PAYE income.
    Who is your accountant?

Thanks, yes it is part of accounting package, but a 80% of nil payment would have been 0 in that case
    Last edited by konsultant; 14 May 2020, 14:28.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    That is true wrt paying more tax, but the accountant never advised to not take any salary.

The whole salary discussion only came around when I enquired about CJRS and it is then we realised that RTI was not setup.

I wanted to understand my options about eligibility based on this situation or what else can I do? As I am not generating income since March but the only thing is RTI was not setup. I have generated invoices till Feb.
    I repeat you just took random loans from your business account - not a salary or dividend

Get a bounce back loan

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Depends on your accounting package but the accountant should have asked you if you want to take salary from the company and set it up for you.
    If taking a salary would not have been efficient for your tax situation (i.e. you went over the NI threshold due to your previous PAYE income for the year), RTI should have been set-up and reported to HMRC as 0 if you don't have any other PAYE income.
    Who is your accountant?

Leave a comment:

• konsultant
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If you've been perm part of the year it's often the case that it's not efficient to pay anymore salary as you'll be paying more tax on it than you need to so just stick to dividends for the rest of that year. I expect that's what the accountant was meaning. You paying yourself a salary wasn't part of his plan I'd imagine.
    That is true wrt paying more tax, but the accountant never advised to not take any salary.

The whole salary discussion only came around when I enquired about CJRS and it is then we realised that RTI was not setup.

I wanted to understand my options about eligibility based on this situation or what else can I do? As I am not generating income since March but the only thing is RTI was not setup. I have generated invoices till Feb.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    No, I can declare as dividend though I intend to take as salary but upon knowing RTI was not setup by accountant they will be dividend.

Anyways my original question was of eligibility to claim given the details in my 4th post and if there have been any lapses by the accountant here .
    yeah.no..... that's not how dividends work. You don't declare a dividend after the fact any more than you do salary.
    It's a loan like GoT said.

Leave a comment:

• konsultant
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    You have taken loans out of your company

Not salary or dividends (as not declared)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you've been perm part of the year it's often the case that it's not efficient to pay anymore salary as you'll be paying more tax on it than you need to so just stick to dividends for the rest of that year. I expect that's what the accountant was meaning. You paying yourself a salary wasn't part of his plan I'd imagine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X