• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coronavirus - Shares/Pension/SIPPs etc"

Collapse

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Maybe so but when bad news comes out and it's obviously going to blow the thing to bits within a month or two at most, but the market is ignoring it, timing the market to get out before the lemmings wake up is a pretty good idea.

And buying the same assets when they are now clearly underpriced on fundamentals also often makes a lot of sense.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If you're interested Coronavirus shares, I'd look to Gilead.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Market timing

Why Market Timing Is Still A Bad Idea
    Why Timing the Market is a Bad Idea ?
    Market Timing Fails As A Money Maker
    Why Timing the Market is a Bad Idea - Rich on Money
    Why Timing the Market Is a Bad Idea
    https://heritageinvestor.com/why-tim...terrible-idea/
    https://blogs.wsj.com/experts/2014/1...is-a-bad-idea/
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-sma...market-timing/

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Until Pooper pops up with something or other and then it will be soundly beaten for the title.
    I hope it includes a graph!

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    I cashed out about half of my SIPP the end of January when we had the preliminary drop, I thought this is going to go farther. Could have held on a couple days and done better.

I bought back in this morning. I have no idea where it's going in the next 6-12 months but I expect it will be quite a bit higher than it is now in 2-3 years. There may be better buying opportunities in the days ahead, but I think this is a good one.

I'm in investment trusts rather than funds so I can move quickly if I think I need to, funds can take several hours to trade.

My view can be as wrong as anyone else's. I was lucky to get out when I did. The stuff I held got hammered.

Most of my ISAs are in cash and will stay that way in this market.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Worse advice ever
    Until Pooper pops up with something or other and then it will be soundly beaten for the title.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    I have been buying global index (VWRL) ETF shares with all the cash reserves in my SIPP and ISA.
    This is the dip I wanted to buy into.
    It could go lower, I don't know, no-one does.
    BUT I am prepared to bet big that it stands much higher in the next 10 years and that is the timescale I am buying for.
    IF you are even thinking about selling, you should not be buying shares ever, you don't have the required risk tolerance to make it pay, find the best fixed interest return you can and stick to that.
    Worse advice ever

I sold out when FTSE was at 7500 last week (everyone could see it was going to fall)

At Cheltenham yesterday I cashed out on a horse in-running and got 95% of my stake back as was not travelling well at the time - it came in last

Sell if you think market is going down - simples

Will buy back in at 4500 and might get back to 7500 in 4 years time

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    I have been buying global index (VWRL) ETF shares with all the cash reserves in my SIPP and ISA.
    This is the dip I wanted to buy into.
    It could go lower, I don't know, no-one does.
    BUT I am prepared to bet big that it stands much higher in the next 10 years and that is the timescale I am buying for.
    IF you are even thinking about selling, you should not be buying shares ever, you don't have the required risk tolerance to make it pay, find the best fixed interest return you can and stick to that.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Down quite a bit.

Anyone tempted to do anything with things like shares/SIPPS?

Sit tight or pull out to prevent further losses until it all dies down?
    Unless you need to access funds in the next few years (1-5) stay put.
    How long do stock markets take to recover? - Boring Money

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Withdraw it and buy as much tinned spam as you can. If it gets worse you can live of it, if it recovers you can use it build the poshest house in Wales.
    and it'll still be edible during the next pandemic

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Withdraw it and buy as much tinned spam as you can. If it gets worse you can live of it, if it recovers you can use it build the poshest house in Wales.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Down quite a bit.

Anyone tempted to do anything with things like shares/SIPPS?

Sit tight or pull out to prevent further losses until it all dies down?
    The maximum likelihood outcome is the inverse of whatever financial advice is offered by the parody account, scooterscot.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    The market has beaten your ability to react in the past tense. Sit tight and enjoy the ride

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    If you can't search on a forum, I'd recommend not following your own advice for when you research in stocks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X