• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting to MOD - HELP!!"

Collapse

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    If the role is commutable and the net pay is acceptable - use an umbrella calculator (contractor umbrella or paystream) - then you need to decided if the role is acceptable (bearing in mind you have no employment rights).

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    In these times it's comforting to have CUK still maintaining its low standard of facts
    I read that twice before posting it and still missed that I'd crossed the two. Given I'm basically an architect its a little annoying...

But then i am very old and was probably verra verra drunk...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    We've 3 people here that failed contracting and had to become mods as well.
    You are not alone.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Ermm... Quite possibly...
    In these times it's comforting to have CUK still maintaining its low standard of facts

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Those two are the wrong way round, right ?!
    Ermm... Quite possibly...

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    ... this is what you get less Employer NICs and PAYE only. Employee NICs and Apprentice Levy should be paid to the fee payer by the end client and is not part of the contractor's rates.
    Those two are the wrong way round, right ?!

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    1923?

'owd *****

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    ahhh, when i were a lad...............................................

1923?

'owd *****

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    To be fair the same was said for every consultant from the large outsourced suppliers. It was standard working practice so not unique to Lance. In fact it's the same now, just lower rate from client and lower pay to consultant, where ever in the world he's based.
    Definitely wasn't unique. It's what happens to capable individuals who don't know what they can do and what it's worth. In your 20s, and with no formal qualifications, a wage that's welll above average, doing a job you enjoy is good.
    Also the consultancy market was quite different then.

And I'm based in the North (yorks. lancs at a push if the rate is good).

Suffice to say that I don't begrudge agents getting their 10-20% if they get me good roles.
    ahhh, when i were a lad...............................................

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    To be fair the same was said for every consultant from the large outsourced suppliers. It was standard working practice so not unique to Lance. In fact it's the same now, just lower rate from client and lower pay to consultant, where ever in the world he's based.
    Definitely wasn't unique. It's what happens to capable individuals who don't know what they can do and what it's worth. In your 20s, and with no formal qualifications, a wage that's welll above average, doing a job you enjoy is good.
    Also the consultancy market was quite different then.

And I'm based in the North (yorks. lancs at a push if the rate is good).

Suffice to say that I don't begrudge agents getting their 10-20% if they get me good roles.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
    Wow.

Leave a comment:

• DolanContractorGroup
    replied
    I used to care when I was a permie. I was sold out for £1.2k a day in the late 90s and only saw c. £35k salary.... No more.
    Wow.

With one very important caveat. The role must be advertised and accepted at the gross rate to the contractor, i.e. this is what you get less Employer NICs and PAYE only. Employee NICs and Apprentice Levy should be paid to the fee payer by the end client and is not part of the contractor's rates. So while there will be a gap between what the client is being charged and what comes down to the contractor, you cannot advertise a role at £500 as contract rate and then actually pay out £350 as an assignment rate or some other mealy-mouthed term, to cover your (new) overheads, you advertise the role at £350.
    Oh, yes. Agreed. For inside-IR35 contractors, the rate advertised/agreed should be the rate paid to them, subject to tax and NI.

Thanks

Zeeshan

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Is this the general view amongst contractors?

For example, surely the £800 per day the MOD have agreed with AMS is not considered the contractor's money? The contractor's money would only be the amount that PSR agrees with the contractor, e.g. £500 per day. Anything above in the chain is not known to the contractor so shouldn't affect them. They'll only accept the rate that their happy with, and that's £500 (not £800).

Thanks

Zeeshan
    Not for me and a few others. We have had this discussion before and there is a firm split in views on it. We get what's left of the agents money in my world.

Switch it around. When I get a sub in then I pay him from my money that I get from the agent. The sub might think its his money but it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    With one very important caveat. The role must be advertised and accepted at the gross rate to the contractor, i.e. this is what you get less Employer NICs and PAYE only. Employee NICs and Apprentice Levy should be paid to the fee payer by the end client and is not part of the contractor's rates. So while there will be a gap between what the client is being charged and what comes down to the contractor, you cannot advertise a role at £500 as contract rate and then actually pay out £350 as an assignment rate or some other mealy-mouthed term, to cover your (new) overheads, you advertise the role at £350.
    Somebody had better tell the market that because that's not what most of the agents out there are doing. MOD might be different, but the market's still trying to stick it to the contractor.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Is this the general view amongst contractors?

For example, surely the £800 per day the MOD have agreed with AMS is not considered the contractor's money? The contractor's money would only be the amount that PSR agrees with the contractor, e.g. £500 per day. Anything above in the chain is not known to the contractor so shouldn't affect them. They'll only accept the rate that their happy with, and that's £500 (not £800).

Thanks

Zeeshan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X