• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Paying the damage

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Paying the damage"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by jds 1981 View Post
    When my drive was done I supplied the contractor with a breaker (forgot to bring his.) Fairly certain that didn't make him my employee.
    Billy doesn't bring his own bog brushes on site, but he's still an independent contractor.

Leave a comment:

• jds 1981
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    If you're a real contractor, you should be using your own equipment. Does the client supply the hammer when the maintenance man goes on-site?
    When my drive was done I supplied the contractor with a breaker (forgot to bring his.) Fairly certain that didn't make him my employee.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Always cover your arse!

1. No matter what the situation always send an email to someone at client co outlining the situation.
    eg: Hi CEO, for the record, today I have just started using laptop asset number 666 and noticed it is full of nude photos of squirrels.

2. Keep a manual diary of all events.
    eg: Notified HR of photos of nude squirrels on the laptop

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

Your repeated assertion that "no company would allow that"

Where exactly do you think I said that?
    Can you not read?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
    If only David Cameron had been so far sighted.

Eh?

Oh...

It's ok. This one's only advisory. But with you making that comment, I'm beginning to suspect you're not who you say you are...

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've created a poll to answer the question once and for all.
    If only David Cameron had been so far sighted.

Eh?

Oh...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I've created a poll to answer the question once and for all. https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ment-site.html

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    I, along with others in this very thread, have told you that we've had entire career's worth of contracts for security conscious companies that have allowed us to use our own equipment without any special software.
    Must have not been working on anything important.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Not true, and not what I said.

I don't deny that. I pointed out a scenario where is common.

I think the blinkers are closer to home. You are suggesting that client's are paranoid because they may not allow contractors to use their own equipment.
    There are many reasons why they may not allow it. Security is one of them. Intellectual Property control is another. Consistency of build if in a developer role is another.

Paranoia is not one that I believe is common. It is a 'blinkered' view to suggest otherwise.
    This is exactly what you said:

Any client, with a view to security, will not allow you to do this, unless you have one of their builds installed (and that's rare anyway).
    and I, along with others in this very thread, have told you that we've had entire career's worth of contracts for security conscious companies that have allowed us to use our own equipment without any special software.

Your repeated assertion that "no company would allow that" makes me feel like I'm a pilot being lectured by a flat-earther, and makes you look like a fool.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Current client is fine about BYOD, they have a separate WiFi network for such things. However, you can access more if you use client kit on the 'proper' network. Staff are complaining about that as it also restricts WFH if your home IP isn't whitelisted. I can see that changing seeing as facilities are encouraging WFH because the car park gets too full. Never mind that the building is never full, mind you...
    Vodafone in Reading by any chance?
    I hear the parking's a nightmare.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Current client is fine about BYOD, they have a separate WiFi network for such things. However, you can access more if you use client kit on the 'proper' network. Staff are complaining about that as it also restricts WFH if your home IP isn't whitelisted. I can see that changing seeing as facilities are encouraging WFH because the car park gets too full. Never mind that the building is never full, mind you...

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    While this is clearly true, I wonder how many places would let u BYOD (and connect to their network)

Nowhere I've worked thats for sure.
    I have to say, loads allow me to be honest. (He says, typing this on a ClientCo laptop!)

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    and if he did he'd walk out before the end of teh contract, as that's what we're supposed to do.
    In theory he knows exactly what to do. He's a contracting incel.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Billy has never actually had a contract before.
    and if he did he'd walk out before the end of teh contract, as that's what we're supposed to do.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Not true, and not what I said.

I don't deny that. I pointed out a scenario where is common.

I think the blinkers are closer to home. You are suggesting that client's are paranoid because they may not allow contractors to use their own equipment.
    There are many reasons why they may not allow it. Security is one of them. Intellectual Property control is another. Consistency of build if in a developer role is another.

Paranoia is not one that I believe is common. It is a 'blinkered' view to suggest otherwise.
    Billy has never actually had a contract before.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X