• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Expenses When Staying Away from Home"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MikhailCompo View Post
    So why not share your infinite wisdom....
    Other posters have kindly already given you some of the pit falls of your set up.

Just make sure if you put a deposit down you know how to get it back.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Looked him up at companies house.
    Who hasn't

Looked him up at companies house. His handle is almost the same as his real name, he's not bothered with internet security, I do hope he's not working in IT security
    300+ of the buggers on LinkedIn though.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
    I'd remove the name of your company from the quote if I were you
    Looked him up at companies house. His handle is almost the same as his real name, he's not bothered with internet security, I do hope he's not working in IT security

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Discuss...
    Posting stuff on the internet without reading it is a very bad idea. HTH

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Some evil barsteward will quote it just for posterities sake I am sure.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Hope it's not his website that's blocked because a threat JS/Miner-HP has been found on it.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    Discuss...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Very very different set of legislation, but the "friends staying" thing is very much part of the case they built against Tim Healey in declaring his London flat not wholly and exclusive so always worth being very careful what you use these places for. It's part of the reason I tend to put up with the hassle of booking only the nights I need in hotels and AirBnB as it takes away any ambiguity for the weekend.
    I stopped renting because you're putting months of rent at risk when you're on virtually no notice from clientco. No point in it. It also doesn't work out that cheap compared to hotels when you've taken the bills into account, especially in that London.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The grey area that you may encounter when renting is if you decide to stay over in London for the weekend. If it's simply for you, that's fine because you're saving travel up north and back as well as, probably, resting. It's when you invite significant/not so significant others to stay that it's not wholly and exclusively. While it's highly unlikely that HMRC would find out, I thought you'd best be aware of it; I was made aware of it when I rented rather than booking hotels.

One other option for you is to see if there's the opportunity to work from home Mondays and Fridays longer term; travel is generally easier on Tuesdays and Thursdays and you only have two overnights. It's probably easier to negotiate that at renewal than getting a rate increase too.
    Very very different set of legislation, but the "friends staying" thing is very much part of the case they built against Tim Healey in declaring his London flat not wholly and exclusive so always worth being very careful what you use these places for. It's part of the reason I tend to put up with the hassle of booking only the nights I need in hotels and AirBnB as it takes away any ambiguity for the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    The grey area that you may encounter when renting is if you decide to stay over in London for the weekend. If it's simply for you, that's fine because you're saving travel up north and back as well as, probably, resting. It's when you invite significant/not so significant others to stay that it's not wholly and exclusively. While it's highly unlikely that HMRC would find out, I thought you'd best be aware of it; I was made aware of it when I rented rather than booking hotels.

One other option for you is to see if there's the opportunity to work from home Mondays and Fridays longer term; travel is generally easier on Tuesdays and Thursdays and you only have two overnights. It's probably easier to negotiate that at renewal than getting a rate increase too.

Leave a comment:

• MikhailCompo
    replied
    Last edited by MikhailCompo; 30 June 2018, 17:11.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    To you perhaps, but plenty have made positive contributions to this thread unlike yours. So not quite that clear
    The advice I offered is absolutely sound and based on the experience of myself and others.
    If you don't want to take it, then politely decline it rather than declaring me a troll because you disagree with it or it's not what you were hoping to hear.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    To you perhaps, but plenty have made positive contributions to this thread unlike yours. So not quite that clear
    Can this be moved to General Please?? @mods

Leave a comment:

• MikhailCompo
    replied
    Last edited by MikhailCompo; 30 June 2018, 17:11.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Admins; OK to post their response without identifying them?
    Unless your accountants have told you not to share it, go for it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X