• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Clearsky Opinions

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Clearsky Opinions"

Collapse

• Andrew@Wisteria
    replied
    Originally posted by konradz View Post
    Thank you for all the info guys.
    Do you mind helping me understand what the benefits are sole trader vs LTD. Currently its all me, but it will be me and my Mrs eventually. The one thing that worries me about LTD is the way you pay yourself, seems way more complex.... but maybe its more profitable?

Best,
    k
    It’s for questions of exactly this nature that you appear to require a more personalised service than one of the very large contractor accountants providing a standard service across all clients. Net pay will typically be higher in a Ltd provided income is above a certain level and certain conditions are met.

You should speak to an accountant - plenty of us on this forum. :-).

Leave a comment:

• aft
    replied
    I would not recommend crunch.

Their level of service is appalling. If you are happy to deal with late returns and all the headaches that brings, then sure.

I would suggest, as others here, an accountant that uses the freeagent portal. (Like Darren @ Dynamo )

Bit more expensive than crunch but easily worth it cos you wont have to waste time sorting out the mess crunch make.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    a +1 for a Freeagent compatible accountant, it's just so easy.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Crunch will do everything but for cheaper, however it doesn't use freeagent. I chose Crunch over a freeagent accountant and I've been pretty happy.
    I am also using Crunch. Very happy with the online system. Everything is clear, including how much money you can take out.
    You also get VAT, PAYE, and other reminders in a timely manner.

Leave a comment:

• Darren at Fox-Bartfield
    replied
    Accountants

Do you mind helping me understand what the benefits are sole trader vs LTD. Currently its all me, but it will be me and my Mrs eventually. The one thing that worries me about LTD is the way you pay yourself, seems way more complex.... but maybe its more profitable?

Best,
    k
    Would recommend a chat with an accountant to explain the pros/cons of both options and how they may fit to your circumstances as well as the mechanics of running either structure.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied

Best,
    k
    Don’t take offence by this but your lack of this fundamental knowledge highlights precisely why you need an accountant who is on hand to provide advice rather than process the numbers.

Leave a comment:

• konradz
    replied

Best,
    k

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    No idea, but your first priority should be to engage an accountant that offers FreeAgent as part of the deal.
    Crunch will do everything but for cheaper, however it doesn't use freeagent. I chose Crunch over a freeagent accountant and I've been pretty happy.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Thanks for the replies so far guys, from what I can see is its expensive but not exactly horrible. Would an equivalent be something like Crunch?
    No idea, but your first priority should be to engage an accountant that offers FreeAgent as part of the deal.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    I’m guessing that he is paying £120 + VAT so giving £144.

I understand that that is one of Clearsky’s mid-range package. Still overpriced but what you can expect from such a large group.

Remember that Clearsky are now part of the same group who also owns Parasol, SJD & Nixon Williams.

Judging by comments on here, the service from these companies had fallen over the past few years.
    I totally agree, but the market is moving on. So much more is being automated nowadays with platforms like FreeAgent and similar. No longer (in my opinion) is it acceptable to deliver 3rd rate services at 1st rate prices. The sooner people wake up and realise that as clients of 3rd rate companies they are costing themselves 00's of GBP a year the better things will get. In today's world of automation and cloud services, prices should be going down and service levels should be going up. If you know where to look, you can find this. These big 3rd rate guys are surviving purely due to client inertia. I can't see it lasting forever, but maybe it will.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    How much? !!!!! They're having your eyes out.
    I’m guessing that he is paying £120 + VAT so giving £144.

I understand that that is one of Clearsky’s mid-range package. Still overpriced but what you can expect from such a large group.

Remember that Clearsky are now part of the same group who also owns Parasol, SJD & Nixon Williams.

Judging by comments on here, the service from these companies had fallen over the past few years.

Leave a comment:

• konradz
    replied
    Thanks for the replies so far guys, from what I can see is its expensive but not exactly horrible. Would an equivalent be something like Crunch?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Hertsseasider View Post
    I use them and have done for a few years with no problems. Does what it says on the tin, straightforward portal for entering Invoices, Bank statements, expenses etc. Works out my tax and tells me what to pay and when. I've asked a few questions along the way and got help and advice. £144 per month, I guess I could get cheaper but i'm OK with that to be honest.
    How much? !!!!! They're having your eyes out.

Leave a comment:

• Hertsseasider
    replied
    I use them and have done for a few years with no problems. Does what it says on the tin, straightforward portal for entering Invoices, Bank statements, expenses etc. Works out my tax and tells me what to pay and when. I've asked a few questions along the way and got help and advice. £144 per month, I guess I could get cheaper but i'm OK with that to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Darren at Fox-Bartfield
    replied
    Accountants

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    From what I can tell it’s an overpriced contractor accounts farm. Better of using a small independent who dispense free advice on this very forum. But I’m very biased.
    Agree, but also biased!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X