• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Childcare Vouchers

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Childcare Vouchers"

Collapse

• l35kee
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    OK, let me be slightly less specific for a change. You need to have a contract in place between YourCo and the provider. The clue is in the name: "directly contracted childcare". I suppose it doesn't need to be signed - a contract can be implicitly agreed and accepted.

IMO the wording of your letter would form a contract between YourCo and the provider so would probably be fine, but if you can get invoices in the company name from the provider, even better.
    Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Quick question... do you currently have a child?

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by l35kee View Post
    Are you certain? There is no signed contract in place between anyone. This is the content of the letter.

We agree to purchase childcare from you to the value of £xx per week from
    4th September 2014. We intend to give the childcare as a benefit to our
    employee, Fred Bloggs for use by his son, Tom.
    This agreement may be amended or cancelled if Fred Bloggs leaves the
    employment of XYZ Consulting Limited.
    OK, let me be slightly less specific for a change. You need to have a contract in place between YourCo and the provider. The clue is in the name: "directly contracted childcare". I suppose it doesn't need to be signed - a contract can be implicitly agreed and accepted.

IMO the wording of your letter would form a contract between YourCo and the provider so would probably be fine, but if you can get invoices in the company name from the provider, even better.

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    You really ought to have a signed contract between YourCo and the childcare provider or you're risking a BIK charge (as the liability to settle the childcare bill is with whoever is on the contract and if that's you or your spouse, YourCo paying it would be a BIK due to the pecuniary liability principle).
    Are you certain? There is no signed contract in place between anyone. This is the content of the letter.

We agree to purchase childcare from you to the value of £xx per week from
    4th September 2014. We intend to give the childcare as a benefit to our
    employee, Fred Bloggs for use by his son, Tom.
    This agreement may be amended or cancelled if Fred Bloggs leaves the
    employment of XYZ Consulting Limited.

Leave a comment:

• Guvernator
    replied
    I've read that childcare vouchers will soon be ending anyway to be replaced by some other scheme. I currently do the pay directly through your Ltd company method. I assume this won't be effected by the change to childcare vouchers ie they aren't going to turn around and say you can't pay from your Ltd company any more, you have to use the new scheme?

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by l35kee View Post
    If you don't need to stockpile vouchers as previously mentioned. Just pay the fees directly from your business bank account. Your accountant should be able to provide you with a template to hand to your childcare provider. It'll essentially say "my payments are being made by my employer for £x per month, and will stop if I leave their employment blah blah".

You don't need to/shouldn't do it the vouchers route.
    You really ought to have a signed contract between YourCo and the childcare provider or you're risking a BIK charge (as the liability to settle the childcare bill is with whoever is on the contract and if that's you or your spouse, YourCo paying it would be a BIK due to the pecuniary liability principle).

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    You can run your own scheme if the childcare providers are willing.

Even better is if you can arrange the contract directly between YourCo and the provider. This simplified things.
    Yep much easier. This is what I used to do. All you need is a letter to the supplier and then just pay direct from company.

Just beware of the maximums that still apply.

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    Originally posted by EinsteinTax View Post
    There is nothing stopping you running a childcare voucher scheme internally (within your company) and stockpiling vouchers.

All you really need to do is ensure you don't provide more than £243 per month and it is spent on an approved childcare provider when the "voucher" is redeemed.
    ...and that the company and thus the scheme continues to exist...

Leave a comment:

• EinsteinTax
    replied
    Originally posted by SeanT View Post
    But you can't stockpile vouchers for use later if for example you're planning another sprog.
    There is nothing stopping you running a childcare voucher scheme internally (within your company) and stockpiling vouchers.

All you really need to do is ensure you don't provide more than £243 per month and it is spent on an approved childcare provider when the "voucher" is redeemed.

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    If you don't need to stockpile vouchers as previously mentioned. Just pay the fees directly from your business bank account. Your accountant should be able to provide you with a template to hand to your childcare provider. It'll essentially say "my payments are being made by my employer for £x per month, and will stop if I leave their employment blah blah".

You don't need to/shouldn't do it the vouchers route.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    You could ask your accountant. I’m surprised that’s not been suggested.

Mine told me to write a letter to the nursery, from my co, telling them the company would be paying. That was just for records. After that the nursery bills were paid direct from company bank. Once the (I think) £143 had beeen reaches Mrs.L. used her vouchers to pay, and after that we paid personally. Nursery didn’t care.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Childcare Vouchers

Remember, like family allowance it has a maximum earnings limit check you are below them
    Last edited by tarbera; 23 November 2017, 07:42.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by SeanT View Post
    But you can't stockpile vouchers for use later if for example you're planning another sprog.
    Fair point.

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    Even better is if you can arrange the contract directly between YourCo and the provider. This simplified things.

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    Cheapest I found and not worth the hassle of running your own scheme for the amount it costs. Dead easy to set up. https://www.applechildcarevouchers.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X