• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bank statement as proof of travel"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You are aware that google search is now fully personalised and the results you see are not (necessarily) the results other people will see..
    So that explains the sense of discomfort I get when using the old man's PC for Google searching.

Leave a comment:

• Scratch It
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I don't get that so you must be crap at searching.
    Or quoting the correct post

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
    Which just further supports my point tbh.
    I don't get that so you must be crap at searching.

Leave a comment:

• Scratch It
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You are aware that google search is now fully personalised and the results you see are not (necessarily) the results other people will see..
    Which just further supports my point tbh.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    These questions do come up time and time again, agreed. Though using the google site search function, a good percentage of the top ranking posts invite the OP to use the Google site search function!!!

Leave a comment:

• Scratch It
    replied
    These questions do come up time and time again, agreed. Though using the google site search function, a good percentage of the top ranking posts invite the OP to use the Google site search function!!!

Leave a comment:

• Scratch It
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Because we are no lawyers or accountants, we are untrained people and by reading your original post you have made some blindingly wrong assumptions, we can direct you to an answer in our opinion based on the original question (can bank statements be used, yes) but we would be remiss if we didn't highlight the other massive problems you, may, be bringing upon yourself in respect to being able to claim for travel expenses after 24 months at the same place of work (location not company) and being able to claim for any travel expenses on an contract deemed within IR35.

We could give you a long winded, hand holding response, however if you search you see these questions come up more often than NLYUK's knickers so for brevity and as our time is just as valuable as yours we say ask your accountant as that is what you pay them for.

If you have already asked your accountant and they are giving you the wrong information we can help, if you have already asked your accountant but they didn't give you the answer you wanted we can help (to a degree)
    I'm not OP!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    *This is what I do in those circumstances, though YMMV so talk to your accountant*

I've asked a bunch of stuff from fellow contractors, including the kind of question above. I'll always get advice from my accountant in the end to verify, though know harm in asking online first, right?
    But if you are asking from fellow contractors you need to give full information as what you will be told may be completely wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Scratch It
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Because one you pay for professional advice, the other is populated by contractors who don't have much of a clue. You might, if you are lucky, get half a response from an accountant type that is willing to spend his time for free.

Who do you think would be best to speak to first? It's likely when speaking to your accountant they will ask the relevant information first and probably educate on other elements of the question you are asking as well. We just get drip fed an attempt an answer based on that.
    *This is what I do in those circumstances, though YMMV so talk to your accountant*

I've asked a bunch of stuff from fellow contractors, including the kind of question above. I'll always get advice from my accountant in the end to verify, though no harm in asking online first, right?
    Last edited by Scratch It; 9 August 2017, 08:07.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Still radio silence from the OP on some very key points.
    We didn't give them the answer they wanted.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Still radio silence from the OP on some very key points.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    What's the point of an 'accounting / legal' section if the stock answer is 'talk to your accountant / lawyer'.
    Because we are no lawyers or accountants, we are untrained people and by reading your original post you have made some blindingly wrong assumptions, we can direct you to an answer in our opinion based on the original question (can bank statements be used, yes) but we would be remiss if we didn't highlight the other massive problems you, may, be bringing upon yourself in respect to being able to claim for travel expenses after 24 months at the same place of work (location not company) and being able to claim for any travel expenses on an contract deemed within IR35.

We could give you a long winded, hand holding response, however if you search you see these questions come up more often than NLYUK's knickers so for brevity and as our time is just as valuable as yours we say ask your accountant as that is what you pay them for.

If you have already asked your accountant and they are giving you the wrong information we can help, if you have already asked your accountant but they didn't give you the answer you wanted we can help (to a degree)

Leave a comment:

• mike67
    replied
    I asked my accountant the same question and he said it would be fine as the expense was clearly identifiable. I think you can also register an a card with TfL and get a journey history which would support any claim.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You can register your debit card on the Oyster website and set your account up so they email you a CSV/pdf every month with your journeys.

I actually used the journey email when one client disputed the days I had worked.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Bank statements are fine as proof of expenses as long as it's identifiable what you've paid for. In the case of travel it should be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X