• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Insurance question

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Insurance question"

Collapse

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Not worth arguing over.
    Smartest thing either of us has said on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Got anything useful to post?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Not supportable. Two points.

1. When I use a subcontractor, they are working under MY contract for services. The arrangement that I have with the subcontractor is simply not relevant to my clients. And it certainly is exercising my right of substitution. I bill for their work the same as I bill for mine. As long as they are able to do the work, it's not an issue. Ok, arguably in my case it is usually helpers rather than strict substitution, but I am assigning people (I use both subcontractors and employees) to do stuff I could be doing. It really makes no difference at all whether I'm paying an employee to do it or paying a subcontractor to do it, or whether I'm making a profit on their work or not. Either amply demonstrates that I am not just a disguised employee.

2. Employer Liability cover proves nothing. If you are investigated, and try to claim that you have Employer Liability cover so that you can send in an employee as a substitute, they'll of course ask, "Where's your employee?" If you don't have one, then the EL as proof of ROS is simply a fiction. It won't help your case one little iota.

It MIGHT help your case if your client requires it, just like requiring PII helps marginally. You don't require your employees to buy EL or PI cover, you buy it for them. So if the client puts those requirements in the contract it marginally strengthens your case that they view you as a business and not a disguised employee.

But if you just decide to buy the cover to strengthen your IR35 case, you're wasting your money.
    Which bit of "obscure" are you having trouble with? The argument has been used as part of a wider discussion, many years ago. Clearly I'm not the only one to have heard of it. That doesn't mean I think it's valid or even sensible.

But if we're being pedantic, there's a clear distinction between substitute and subcontractor and the former is not necessarily (arguably not even) under your SD&C since they are replacing you, not doing your job for you.

My ELI costs about £19 a year, for £10m with no excess. Not worth arguing over.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    The place I am insisted on EL and when asked said it was a good pointer for IR35 as I may have to substitute ?
    The argument is that in order to supply a worker acting on YourCo's behalf (whether they are an employee of YourCo or sub-contracted) then you need to have EL to cover them. However, seeing as EL can be arranged in a matter of minutes its not an argument I particularly buy. Not having EL in place when signing the contract does not, IMO, create a serious obstacle that would prevent you arranging a substitute at short notice.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    It's an obscure argument, but a supportable one. The assumption is that if you have a viable RoS then you are able to send in another worker (not, note a sub-contractor: they are working under your contract for services);
    Not supportable. Two points.

1. When I use a subcontractor, they are working under MY contract for services. The arrangement that I have with the subcontractor is simply not relevant to my clients. And it certainly is exercising my right of substitution. I bill for their work the same as I bill for mine. As long as they are able to do the work, it's not an issue. Ok, arguably in my case it is usually helpers rather than strict substitution, but I am assigning people (I use both subcontractors and employees) to do stuff I could be doing. It really makes no difference at all whether I'm paying an employee to do it or paying a subcontractor to do it, or whether I'm making a profit on their work or not. Either amply demonstrates that I am not just a disguised employee.

2. Employer Liability cover proves nothing. If you are investigated, and try to claim that you have Employer Liability cover so that you can send in an employee as a substitute, they'll of course ask, "Where's your employee?" If you don't have one, then the EL as proof of ROS is simply a fiction. It won't help your case one little iota.

It MIGHT help your case if your client requires it, just like requiring PII helps marginally. You don't require your employees to buy EL or PI cover, you buy it for them. So if the client puts those requirements in the contract it marginally strengthens your case that they view you as a business and not a disguised employee.

But if you just decide to buy the cover to strengthen your IR35 case, you're wasting your money.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    The place I am insisted on EL and when asked said it was a good pointer for IR35 as I may have to substitute ?
    It's an obscure argument, but a supportable one. The assumption is that if you have a viable RoS then you are able to send in another worker (not, note a sub-contractor: they are working under your contract for services); if you send in another worker then you must have EL insurance to cover them. Therefore no EL means you don't immediately have another worker so your RoS is clearly a sham.
    It's the kind of thing lawyers love to pick on.

Given it costs very little, it's simply easier to have it anyway, just in case.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    It can be added quickly to your policy but I can see where they are coming from.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Louisa@AardvarkAccounting
    replied
    Now come on ladies... play nicely on the forum!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Nice new AI mod on it too I see. (Watch him bite)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    no need to thank him, that's a bot that auto-posts to questions like this.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Becca View Post
    Thanks all, very helpful, I shall get searching when my little snotbag lets me. Sorry northernlad and thanks for the tip, I did attempt some searching, can't believe there's a thread from only a few days ago.
    no need to thank him, that's a bot that auto-posts to questions like this.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    PI is generally a good idea. Public Liability if you ever go on site or have clients visit you (home insurance often has some form of public liability for visitors to your home but they may not cover business visitors). EL is not required in your scenario unless you have employees or supply a worker to the client (but not if you are simply sub-contracting part of the work I don't think).

Leave a comment:

• Invisiblehand
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick@Intouch View Post

Please make sure to check that these insurances aren't included within your accountancy package.
    Pretty sure they won't be.

Leave a comment:

• Becca
    replied
    Thanks all, very helpful, I shall get searching when my little snotbag lets me. Sorry northernlad and thanks for the tip, I did attempt some searching, can't believe there's a thread from only a few days ago.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X