• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "QDOS Tax Liability Cover (TLC35) vs Offerings from IPSE Plus"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by shazbot View Post
    You are right about only "in theory" not needing insurance in your first year!

I've been contracting for 3 months through a new VAT registered company, and have not even submitted my first VAT return, but have just had a letter from HMRC VAT fraud investigations dept that could turn into a full investigation. More details in this thread.

So it's best to get full insurance from day 1 - HMRC can investigate whenever they like even in first quarter.
    As stated in the thread get another accountant. The other accountants on the board haven't had those weird questions for any of their clients.

Leave a comment:

• shazbot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    In answer to your specific question in theory you wouldn't need tax investigation insurance in your first year of trading. In practise HMRC could start a tax investigation if they see your VAT returns are dodgy after a couple of quarters or something else alerts them to something being not right. As a business owner it is up to you to assess the risk for your business yourself.
    You are right about only "in theory" not needing insurance in your first year!

I've been contracting for 3 months through a new VAT registered company, and have not even submitted my first VAT return, but have just had a letter from HMRC VAT fraud investigations dept that could turn into a full investigation. More details in this thread.

So it's best to get full insurance from day 1 - HMRC can investigate whenever they like even in first quarter.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    So that just leaves unrestricted PEI, agency default cover, sickness cover, lost days for admin cover, discount life insurance, discounted pension access, discounted training and loads of supporting material and other information then...
    Yes, thank you. I meant that the jury service element (only) then goes away

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    by serving a 5 year prison sentence?
    Nope, all above board.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    And you can also asked to be made exempt from being called up for jury service (ever), so this one then goes away.
    So that just leaves unrestricted PEI, agency default cover, sickness cover, lost days for admin cover, discount life insurance, discounted pension access, discounted training and loads of supporting material and other information then...

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    And you can also asked to be made exempt from being called up for jury service (ever), so this one then goes away.
    by serving a 5 year prison sentence?

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    You have a 35% risk of being called up for jury service in England and Wales over your lifetime and about half that of actually having to serve on a jury for 2 weeks.

So like with everything it is still a risk assessment.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by atanas View Post
    FFS, get a life. Alright, I will never ask a single question ever again! Just rely on old post from years ago. Are you happy now???
    There was a long thread from about 6 months ago that delved deeply into this and is actually worth reading through. Just trying to help like.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    True but I joined IPSE+ within a couple of months of starting after being recommended by another contractor - 2 months later I was called up for jury service (which IPSE+ cover lost billing time up to 2 weeks) so it paid for itself for the next 5 years straight away
    You have a 35% risk of being called up for jury service in England and Wales over your lifetime and about half that of actually having to serve on a jury for 2 weeks.

So like with everything it is still a risk assessment.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    True but I joined IPSE+ within a couple of months of starting after being recommended by another contractor - 2 months later I was called up for jury service (which IPSE+ cover lost billing time up to 2 weeks) so it paid for itself for the next 5 years straight away
    Ohh. I think that's the first time I've heard that and great to hear someone has used it like that. I do know one contractor that got called up and didn't have it. He got out of it though but signed up straight away.

Just the number of people we see on here that have had contracts pulled by agents and could have claimed on the business interruption makes it a no brainer on top of everything else. I believe PC has had some dollah out of that.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    In answer to your specific question in theory you wouldn't need tax investigation insurance in your first year of trading. In practise HMRC could start a tax investigation if they see your VAT returns are dodgy after a couple of quarters or something else alerts them to something being not right. As a business owner it is up to you to assess the risk for your business yourself.

Leave a comment:

• nc1
    replied
    Thank you all for your help

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    FFS, get a life. Alright, I will never ask a single question ever again! Just rely on old post from years ago. Are you happy now???
    It is not about you asking questions it is about you hijacking other's threads - in all forums I used and have used this is bad netiquette.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Let me hijack the thread. I'm looking at the insurance options as well and I wonder is it worthed to have TLC in your first year of your company formation? QDOS Tax Liability Cover (TLC35) with limit of £25k costs £199.00
    No. A tax investigation is most likely to be triggered by a compliance visit or another tax related query from HMRC. In your first year there are no returns to query against.

Leave a comment:

• atanas
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not you again... You don't need to Hijack it. Just read it and the links attached. Your constant demands for answers is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X