• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Company smartphone

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Company smartphone"

Collapse

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    FFS Buy the phone outright and bang that through the Ltd, 700 odd squid for an iphone, then get a cheapo sim only deal and just pay for it personally (Im paying 25 notes a month for 25 gig + free Spotify, bargain), sorted.
    I agree, the biggest saving to be had is buying the phone through the Ltd, saving corporation tax and once we're all off the FRS, the VAT too.

I've only ever claimed business calls, I just use and pay for a personal SIM.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    FFS Buy the phone outright and bang that through the Ltd, 700 odd squid for an iphone, then get a cheapo sim only deal and just pay for it personally (Im paying 25 notes a month for 25 gig + free Spotify, bargain), sorted.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Only if the contract is in the employee's name. If its in the contract is in the company name I don't see why it would be a BIK. The company can provide a SIM/contract for both business and personal use, what it can't do is pay the employee's bills.
    You're right and I stand corrected.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Which is fine if all the calls are for business. Otherwise paying for the contract on a personal phone is to be treated as BiK. That is, if my memory serves correctly and the rules haven't changed since way back.
    Only if the contract is in the employee's name. If its in the contract is in the company name I don't see why it would be a BIK. The company can provide a SIM/contract for both business and personal use, what it can't do is pay the employee's bills.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Should have told him to speak to his accountant really shouldn't I?

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by towerhill View Post
    thanks for your replies all. I think I'll keep it simple by just putting the monthly contract on the company and keep my phone as a personal asset.
    Which is fine if all the calls are for business. Otherwise paying for the contract on a personal phone is to be treated as BiK. That is, if my memory serves correctly and the rules haven't changed since way back.

Fwiw, I don't see an issue with expensing the handset to Your Co.

In future though you may want to operate separate eBay and PayPal accounts for business (albeit 'personal' accounts with your co in the address) funded by the co debit card. Similarly for Amazon, etc.

Leave a comment:

• b r
    replied
    thanks for your replies all. I think I'll keep it simple by just putting the monthly contract on the company and keep my phone as a personal asset.

We do the opposite, handsets bought by the business and SIM-only contracts in our own names, then charge the contract cost and accept it's taxable.

Contracts are all of £10pcm each while iPhones cost a wee bit more.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I would claim expenses from your company for the cost of the phone, including the eBay receipt as proof or purchase.

Then I'd get a contract in YourCo's name for the monthly (Sim Only) amount.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Your company is called boobs cause it certainly isn't shelloil?

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    It does, it just isn't a mobile phone number...

For less then that my (new) company landline is a voip landline (newcastle) finishing with the digits 000...
    For a one off tenner six years ago, mine spells the Co name.

And straight flush beats three of a kind, so

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    I don't think its a question of money, more a case of evidencing you're running a genuine business. How can you say you're running a business if the business does not have a phone number under its name!
    It does, it just isn't a mobile phone number...

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    https://www.just0845numbers.co.uk/

Goes through to my mobile, job done

Why yes, yes it does, for £29 a year its a no brainer
    For less then that my (new) company landline is a voip landline (newcastle) finishing with the digits 000...
    Last edited by eek; 3 January 2017, 21:05.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I know it does and very nice it is too. Just interested to see if contractorbanking has a website if he thinks a business mobile is key to looking like a business. I'm more than prepared for them to say yes and I slink off quietly of course.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I don't think its a question of money, more a case of evidencing you're running a genuine business. How can you say you're running a business if the business does not have a phone number under its name!
    https://www.just0845numbers.co.uk/

Goes through to my mobile, job done

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Has your company got a website?

Even I don't really buy in to 'you've got to have a company phone to be a business' and that's kinda one of my catch phrases

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    So how many businesses only list a mobile number?
    Lots do now actually especially tradesmen. It was also fashionable about 10 years ago not to have a landline number as a business.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Has your company got a website?

Even I don't really buy in to 'you've got to have a company phone to be a business' and that's kinda one of my catch phrases

Leave a comment:

Working...
X