• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Autumn statement - end of VAT flat rate scheme?"

Collapse

• DoobDude
    replied
    Originally posted by dingdong View Post
    Just watched the Autumn Statement and Hammond suggested there would be changes coming (ie. closure) of the flat rate VAT scheme to increase tax revenues.

Which basically means less profit and a lot more admin for most contractors.
    Seems to be some confusion over this so here is my simple way of working out the FRS.
    Eggs ... Grandma ... etc ...

A1 = Daily Rate (£400)
    A2 = VAT (£80)
    A3 = Gross Rate (£480)

So in excel use the formula =A1+A2-(A3*0.145) to work out this years VAT you keep per day.
    Which is currently £10.40 or 13% of VAT

From April the formula becomes =A1+A2-(A3*0.165) which means you keep 80p or 1% of VAT

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I will be doing the same after my next return, simply because I have to stay occasionally in hotels.
    Expect I'll be doing the same. I had about £4k of VAT inclusive expenditure last year, £150 of which I could say was goods.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    I'll be leaving the FRS, it's been a good number but due to some idiots exploiting it HMRC have effectively closed it down. My accountant will do the extra work anyway and in any case I don't claim much in the way of expenses.

Don't forget VAT isn't supposed to a way of making a profit, so be thankful for a good few years and accept that we are going back to the way it used to be.
    I will be doing the same after my next return, simply because I have to stay occasionally in hotels.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    I'll be leaving the FRS, it's been a good number but due to some idiots exploiting it HMRC have effectively closed it down. My accountant will do the extra work anyway and in any case I don't claim much in the way of expenses.

Don't forget VAT isn't supposed to a way of making a profit, so be thankful for a good few years and accept that we are going back to the way it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I beg to differ.
    Must have missed it in all the noise

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Do you have an accountant as someone some where seems to have messed things up...
    Or some bigger sheets of paper? Using crayons smudges the numbers when writing small.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by blackeye View Post
    Ok maybe I calculated it wrong...

VAT on invoices = 27,500k
    VAT to HMRC = 19,250
    Gross VAT saving = £8250
    Minus 20% Corp Tax payable (additional profit) = 6,600

Is that incorrect?
    You don't say what your FRS percentage is but you need to apply it to the gross turnover including VAT.

If you're comparing with the standard VAT scheme you also need to account for any input VAT you've paid to work out your actual saving. Whatever's left from your flat-rate surplus after deducting input VAT and allowing for CT is your net profit from the scheme.

I feel like I've said this a million times in the last few days!

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not one person has got it right yet.
    I beg to differ.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by yorkshireman View Post
    I have just been doing some What Ifs on Intouch's FRS Loss calculator and it seems I might lose so much money from switching to 16.5% that I may well find several thousand pounds worth of essential purchases I need to make next year.

With these numbers anything I buy will be free!
    I can't help thinking that there'll be a regulation to prevent this kind of thing too.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireman
    replied
    FRS Loss Calculator

I have just been doing some What Ifs on Intouch's FRS Loss calculator and it seems I might lose so much money from switching to 16.5% that I may well find several thousand pounds worth of essential purchases I need to make next year.

With these numbers anything I buy will be free!

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied

VAT to HMRC = 19,250
    Gross VAT saving = £8250

Is that incorrect?
    Yep. The VAT to HMRC should be £23100. It's 14% of gross not net - assuming 14% is you flat rate.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you're making decisions on faulty data. You shouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

VAT to HMRC = 19,250
    Gross VAT saving = £8250

Is that incorrect?
    The FRS rateshould be at 14.5% assuming you are a consultant of some form and its 14.5% on your company's total income received including VAT.

VAT on invoices £27,500 so your company's total income including VAT= £165,000.

£165,000*14.5%=£23,925
    So your gross VAT saving should have been £3575
    Minus 20% Corp Tax payable (additional profit) = £2860

Do you have an accountant as someone some where seems to have messed things up...

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    FRS can't make a £7200 difference. That implies your turnover is £300,000 and the limit for FRS is £230,000 (including VAT) so £192,000 excluding VAT.

VAT to HMRC = 19,250
    Gross VAT saving = £8250

Is that incorrect?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Wish people would leave the number crunching off the thread. Not one person has got it right yet.
    You have to carry the 1, cross off the 10's and add the difference, cross off the zero's and add the first number you thought off, and that's your star sign?

Am I correct?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I've just calculated and my net profits are down £7200pa now due to the new flat rate scheme. Which equates to circa 5k a year net in my pocket - which is a lot of money.
    This with the increased in divi taxes mean that there is less than £100 a month difference between the a LTD and umbrella.

With the looming IR35 policy changes, it's not worth it anymore. The heydays are over.

I can't see our accountants rushing to disclose this information...
    Eh!!??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X