• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Changing personal mobile phone account to be in the name of my company"

Collapse

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    The one mobile phone rule for mixed use can apply to every employee and company officer.

It's completely irrelevant how much it's used for business the rule is that one mobile phone can be provided for personal and business use. There is no minimum amount of business use.

Additional phones for an employee must be wholly and exclusively for business purposes.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 17 November 2016, 10:33.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    Likewise. Just moved my personal Vodafone to my business account, all went seamless.

However, an erroneous payment has been taken and I've got to wait for the first invoice before they can rectify it! Madness, let's see how quick they can resolve it.

Btw, what's the thinking around adding a second line to the business mobile account for the missus (Company Sec) - is it the done thing or frowned upon? I'd say less than half the mins will be used for business-related.
    If your wife is carrying out duties as mentioned in the article above then yes you could. I'm assuming when it says employed a co sec would be included as an officer and doesnt need to be a clear employee.

That said I'd ask if the cost savings are really worth it bearing in mind i suspect your claim that even less than half use is for business is still grossly exagerrated.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 May 2018, 17:21.

Leave a comment:

• ContractorBanking
    replied
    Likewise. Just moved my personal Vodafone to my business account, all went seamless.

However, an erroneous payment has been taken and I've got to wait for the first invoice before they can rectify it! Madness, let's see how quick they can resolve it.

Btw, what's the thinking around adding a second line to the business mobile account for the missus (Company Sec) - is it the done thing or frowned upon? I'd say less than half the mins will be used for business-related.

Leave a comment:

• DSF70
    replied
    I moved my number from personal to business with Vodafone. Transferring the number over was fine. Getting the right monthly amount has run into several conversations and a complaint.

If the Tariff wasn't so cheap, I'd have walked.

I await another bill, before seeing whether another promise of resolution has been fulfilled!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Did mine with Vodafone. No problems.
    Lucky you. I've had to listen to look moan about Vodafone...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The companies I've heard people have had problems doing that with have been Three and Vodafone.
    Did mine with Vodafone. No problems.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    I've recently moved my EE sim only contract from a personal account into my LTD.

Easy enough - just had to fill out an email and supply supporting document. All done in 7 days
    The companies I've heard people have had problems doing that with have been Three and Vodafone.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    I've recently moved my EE sim only contract from a personal account into my LTD.

Easy enough - just had to fill out an email and supply supporting document. All done in 7 days

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by DSF70 View Post
    If the phone is in the company name, you might want to consider insuring it too, as it's unlikely to be covered under any home contents and oersonal possessions policy.
    Not necessarily. I have covered my company owned phone on a personal contents insurance policy before after confirming with the insurer that they would cover any items that I have legal responsibility for (which included any business equipment in my sole possession subject to any limits on the policy). I always had my laptop and phone as named items.

My phone these days is covered by my business insurance although annoyingly my insurer, Direct Line, only cover up to £500 per mobile phone, so I would still try and claim against my home insurance if possible (phone cost £700).

On an aside, I've just set up with Hiscox through the CUK link. I wasn't aware that even if I never take my company laptop out of my office (at home), that a laptop is classed as a portable device and therefore needs a portable possessions addition to the policy, not just under the standard office (static) equipment part if the policy.
    Same with Direct Line.

Leave a comment:

• DSF70
    replied
    If the phone is in the company name, you might want to consider insuring it too, as it's unlikely to be covered under any home contents and oersonal possessions policy.

On an aside, I've just set up with Hiscox through the CUK link. I wasn't aware that even if I never take my company laptop out of my office (at home), that a laptop is classed as a portable device and therefore needs a portable possessions addition to the policy, not just under the standard office (static) equipment part if the policy.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Hi folks,

So looking at the legislation that was kindly linked by missinggreenfields

Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003

319 Mobile telephones
    (1)No liability to income tax arises by virtue of Chapter 10 of Part 3 (taxable benefits: residual liability to charge) in respect of the provision for an employee or a member of the employee’s family or household of a mobile telephone without any transfer of property in it.

I suspect when they say ‘transfer of property’ they’re saying that the mobile phone needs to remain, legally and in substance, the property of the employer, which I suppose is fair enough.

Is there any other guidance on this though? I see this is from ITEPA 2003 – did someone say the guidance had been updated much more recently?

In case it’s useful for anyone, I gave Three a call as the plans aren’t detailed on their website, and had the strange experience of being talked out of buying a product by the salesperson. They really don’t seem very keen. Anyway, they seem to only offer two contracts, Business 600 and Business 900. Both have more minutes and texts than I’d ever use, but the first is 1GB only, the other is unlimited. The first is £8.44+VAT/month, the latter £17.29+VAT/month. They weren’t interested in negotiating, and they’d need 3 months of company bank statements which I don’t yet have.

By the way – my accountants aren’t ‘CK’. I got them off a recommendation on this forum.

Also, I can’t find anything specifying whether HMRC cares about personal vs business accounts – is that defined anywhere?
    Not sure about it being specified but the ownership is pretty fundament. I am guessing a lot of the articles assume you understand the ownership issue before going in to the detail. That ownership detail would be to be a business asset it has to be paid for by the business and in the business name.

The first page of this link https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene...hones/overview says...

As an employer providing mobile phones to your employees, you have certain tax, National Insurance and reporting obligations.

This includes:
    costs for phones you provide to employees
    reimbursing your employee’s own phone costs
    It has to be the company property, paid for and owned before you can even start. I'd say they are assuming you know the basics when starting out, not having to explain the whole ownership again.

Bearing in mind nearly all the advice on here and from the accountants on the whole is to have the contract with the company paid by the company why are you expending so much effort to try get around it?

And to mention it again. Do you realise how much you are actually saving putting a £20 contract a month through the company? I just wouldn't bother.

Leave a comment:

• booms
    replied
    [QUOTE=missinggreenfields;2324600]The exact wording is "No liability to income tax arises by virtue of Chapter 10 of Part 3 (taxable benefits: residual liability to charge) in respect of the provision for an employee or a member of the employee’s family or household of a mobile telephone without any transfer of property in it." (ITEPA 2003, s319)

Hi folks,

So looking at the legislation that was kindly linked by missinggreenfields

Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003

319 Mobile telephones
    (1)No liability to income tax arises by virtue of Chapter 10 of Part 3 (taxable benefits: residual liability to charge) in respect of the provision for an employee or a member of the employee’s family or household of a mobile telephone without any transfer of property in it.

I suspect when they say ‘transfer of property’ they’re saying that the mobile phone needs to remain, legally and in substance, the property of the employer, which I suppose is fair enough.

Is there any other guidance on this though? I see this is from ITEPA 2003 – did someone say the guidance had been updated much more recently?

In case it’s useful for anyone, I gave Three a call as the plans aren’t detailed on their website, and had the strange experience of being talked out of buying a product by the salesperson. They really don’t seem very keen. Anyway, they seem to only offer two contracts, Business 600 and Business 900. Both have more minutes and texts than I’d ever use, but the first is 1GB only, the other is unlimited. The first is £8.44+VAT/month, the latter £17.29+VAT/month. They weren’t interested in negotiating, and they’d need 3 months of company bank statements which I don’t yet have.

By the way – my accountants aren’t ‘CK’. I got them off a recommendation on this forum.

Also, I can’t find anything specifying whether HMRC cares about personal vs business accounts – is that defined anywhere?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by dwater View Post
    I guess I could write off the value of the phone over time (well, my accountant could) to help with an upgrade when the time comes...some phones are quite expensive**.
    You guess???!?!?
    There's also the angle that I would more than likely be doing development on the phone, which, of course, requires a sim to get the full experience.
    Only if you are developing mobile apps. If that is what you do then yes but not sure what difference it makes.

...but, yeah, I don't really know what I'm talking about, but those are where my thoughts are. Is there anything in there that is valid, or it is all just not worth the hassle, and the value only comes from having a large(r) number of employees, or is it purely just some kind of employee benefit?
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to ask your accountant and do some research rather than post a brain fart that everyone else has to pick apart for you?

You actually quoted my statement so many follow it's advice? 'Anyone thinking it's free because the company is paying for it is gonna have to go re-visit and understand their finances better.'

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It is quicker to visit the entire UK branch network than to deal with EE over the phone.
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It would be for the OP. accounts without starting a thread.
    Yes, indeed that's why my post was a little tongue in cheek.

Originally posted by dwater View Post
    I find this interesting. I accept that there is perhaps little value in terms of VAT saving, but is it not true that we should basically think in terms of how real businesses operate and try do

The rest of us can sort out whether we get a business or personal contract paying from the respective the same thing? By 'real businesses', I mean those for whom I've worked previously. With them, if I needed a phone for business purposes, I would insist they provide it; or if I were to provide it, then I would expense the cost to them. I would also be allowed to use it for reasonable personal use (and on some occasions, some unreasonable use too!*). As such, I have been considering doing the same.

I want to get a separate number/sim for the business (payg, perhaps), buy a new dual-sim phone owned by the business (or sell my own one to the business) - dual-sim so I can use it with my personal sim too. This way, I can essentially turn off the agent calls when I'm in a long term contract (if I actually manage to get one) and still receive personal calls. I'd continue to get personal calls, and such, of course, using my personal sim.

I guess I could write off the value of the phone over time (well, my accountant could) to help with an upgrade when the time comes...some phones are quite expensive**.

There's also the angle that I would more than likely be doing development on the phone, which, of course, requires a sim to get the full experience.

...but, yeah, I don't really know what I'm talking about, but those are where my thoughts are. Is there anything in there that is valid, or it is all just not worth the hassle, and the value only comes from having a large(r) number of employees, or is it purely just some kind of employee benefit?

TBH, I get the impression my accountant doesn't want to bother with any tax claims and just go for some plan where they tax a fixed rate, presuming you aren't going to have much in the way of business expenses to reclaim tax on.

John.

* Bill shock when roaming to the tune of a few K of Euros (thanks to Nokia for covering the cost).
    ** I'd probably get a good value one though, like a Wileyfox.
    I can see why you might want a separate number, and as the post above shows the company can buy it (I buy ink through the company). But, to me, if something is looking like it's going to longer\is a pain in the neck, the tax saving etc usually (for me) not worth it. For the same reason I don't 'claim' lunches, just not worth the effort imho.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Remember, regardless of whether you have a business or personal contract YourCo can still buy the phone which can save you CT and VAT too if you're not on the FRS or it's part of a larger purchase.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 26 October 2016, 13:06.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X