• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Contract Notice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract Notice"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You are not expecting to get paid for your unworked notice period are you?
    I think the whining is due to the client site being complicated to get to, the agent knowing that and the OP not being firm that they can't catch the train there as they can't walk fast enough to get their connection(s).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You are not expecting to get paid for your unworked notice period are you?

Leave a comment:

• DallasDad
    replied
    This

OP said "finding it difficult"
    So getting there is not impossible then?
    but otoh "finding it difficult" might suggest OP has at least attended so client must be visually aware of his predicament and therefore maybe the agency is just being anal

Individual definitions of "finding it difficult" will vary
    Almost leads to quotes form the Four Yorkshiremen Sketch but I won't

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Contractor12 View Post
    Hi All,

I started a contract and worked for 1 week and 2 days and I met with a minor accident and have sustained leg injury and finding it difficult to travel a long distance to work. I requested Work from Home option, which was denied because of the nature of the project. The contract started that 1 week = 1 day notice and afterwards I have to give 30 days written notice.

I have acknowledged the fact and sent them an email about my notice period. I even sent them my medical certificate for 7 days and the agency said that they want to call up my surgery to enquire? Is that even correct or ethical?

Secondly one of agency member says that they "firstly never acknowledged acceptance for notice period.
    Secondly a notice cannot be served without physical presence at work place" . Is this even correct? I checked the contract and it never specifies that.

I feel that I am being harassed and my notice period is not being taken seriously. Please I need your suggestions.

Thanks
    Do you want to quit? Or are you handing your notice in because you feel that you cannot do the work because there's no WFH?

If it's 30 days then it's 30 days, simple as that. You can verbally inform who you want at the client out of courtesy, but if you serve notice on the agent in the correct manner then the clock is ticking. If you've got evidence of submission in writing, they can be in denial all they want.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Tell them to stop buggering about or you're booking a 4 week holiday.

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    The contract only says 30 days notice in writing. Hence I gave them a written notice in an email for which they said they cannot acknowledge my notice and I have to physically present at work to hand in the notice.
    You have given notice in writing. So work the 30 days and be done with it, if you want to leave the contract.

Ask the agency (in an email) to explain how an email does not constitutue written notice.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    The OP has messed up the quote tags and quoted his reply to the unquoted bit
    Thanks - fixed it now for the OP.

Written notice may well mean that you need to send the notice by post to the agency. Or fax it. But no, you do not have to be physically present. However, in my view, the agency is playing silly beggars if they don't accept email, although they don't have to.

What is it that you want to achieve?

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Your contract is with the agent not the client, send a letter recorded delivery to the agent saying you're giving your notice

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Do you have a right of substitution?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is completely incoherent. Please try to be clear what your issues are.
    The OP has messed up the quote tags and quoted his reply to the unquoted bit

You have been there more than one week, so your notice period is 30 days. Give 30 days notice if you want to leave.

Does the contract sipulate that you need to give the notice in person? If it does then they are right, if it doesn't then they are wrong.

If you want to leave then give them 30 days notice. I don't see what the problem is here.
    <reply>
    The contract only says 30 days notice in writing. Hence I gave them a written notice in an email for which they said they cannot acknowledge my notice and I have to physically present at work to hand in the notice. </reply>

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Why are you looking to break the contract if you are only unavailable for 7 days?

Can you not all in "sick" for that period and then go back when your leg is better, a minor inconvenience for all parties at most
    Ah OP has sick note for 7 days but I presumed illness would be longer than that. I know a lot of GPs tend to give out 7 days at a time especially first off but you know its going to be month minimum.

Be a harsh client who canned you for a one week sickie. OK they might be a bit peed off but.....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You have been there more than one week, so your notice period is 30 days. Give 30 days notice if you want to leave.

Does the contract sipulate that you need to give the notice in person? If it does then they are right, if it doesn't then they are wrong.

If you want to leave then give them 30 days notice. I don't see what the problem is here.
    I'm sorry, but this is completely incoherent. Please try to be clear what your issues are.

Leave a comment:

• Contractor12
    replied
    Contract Notice

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post

The contract only says 30 days notice in writing. Hence I gave them a written notice in an email for which they said they cannot acknowledge my notice and I have to physically present at work to hand in the notice.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 31 May 2016, 13:47. Reason: Fixed formatting

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Hi All,

I started a contract and worked for 1 week and 2 days and I met with a minor accident and have sustained leg injury and finding it difficult to travel a long distance to work. I requested Work from Home option, which was denied because of the nature of the project. The contract started that 1 week = 1 day notice and afterwards I have to give 30 days written notice.

I have acknowledged the fact and sent them an email about my notice period. I even sent them my medical certificate for 7 days and the agency said that they want to call up my surgery to enquire? Is that even correct or ethical
    They can call up the surgery but the only thing the receptionist can do is verify that the sick note is genuine. If they wish to find out how long you will be away then the surgery mustn't say otherwise they are breaching Data Protection laws. You then should make a formal complaint, escalate and change surgeries to one where the admin staff can keep their mouths shut.

Secondly one of agency member says that they "firstly never acknowledged acceptance for notice period.
    Read your contract. How do they accept termination notices? Most of mine say it must be sent by mail.

Secondly a notice cannot be served without physical presence at work place" . Is this even correct? I checked the contract and it never specifies that.
    Nonsense

I feel that I am being harassed and my notice period is not being taken seriously. Please I need your suggestions.
    You are only feeling like you are being harassed because you are not making sense.

If the injury is minor then after 5-7 days off it you can go back to the contract.

If you want to leave as "minor" means you have actually really stretched or ripped ligaments, then you just need to email the notice to both the agency and client. Then get to the post office and sent the agent a registered delivery copy of your notice letter.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Why are you looking to break the contract if you are only unavailable for 7 days?

Can you not all in "sick" for that period and then go back when your leg is better, a minor inconvenience for all parties at most

Leave a comment:

Working...
X