• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency won't amend contract schedule to more than a job title"

Collapse

• Willy Win
    replied
    Well, it's pretty much been sorted but even though I chose to remain opted in it turns out that the terms they sent me were for an opt out. I had already signed the contract and started today and now they're trying to get me to opt out to fit in with the contract! I of course said no so it's a bit of a shambles now. ..

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
    No, but agency has responded now with a job description included which they say the client has requested to include along with the statement ' requirements may change from day to day I. E cover in event of Team holidays/sickness'! All other terms of the contract are fine but client will not have this removed. Really can't afford to not have this gig at risk of annoying all parties. Of course I'm happy to muck in from time to time for my team but not sure whether this should be in the contract??
    That's what happens when you don't talk to the client.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Did you tell him to shove it?
    I refused to start the day he wanted. Got contract reviewed and started when it was all sorted.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    No, but agency has responded now with a job description included which they say the client has requested to include along with the statement ' requirements may change from day to day I. E cover in event of Team holidays/sickness'! All other terms of the contract are fine but client will not have this removed. Really can't afford to not have this gig at risk of annoying all parties. Of course I'm happy to muck in from time to time for my team but not sure whether this should be in the contract??
    Requirements may change from day to day = they will be directing you what to do. Sounds like a proper nightmare that one.

You need to get that over to QDOS for an opinion.

Tell them NLUK sent you.

Leave a comment:

• Willy Win
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Did you phone up the client? Always talk to the client BEFORE the agency but be diplomatic.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I did tell the agency yesterday that I wouldn't go ahead with the contract until the changes were made which I feel is a big risk. Not heard back from them yet so fingers crossed they don't can me. ..
    Did you phone up the client? Always talk to the client BEFORE the agency but be diplomatic.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    An imaginary one?

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OP - standard agency "can't be arsed with the details, I'm counting my commission on this one". Not uncommon. As far as a lot of agents are concerned as soon as they get the offer in they just dont get it that you cant start next day.

I've had some right run ins with agents over this. I had one (from one of the big agencies) swear at me, call me all sorts of names because I refused to start Thursday 9am after only being offered the role at 7pm Wed. Apparently, this was the first time ever a contractor had refused to start just because of "a piece of paper".

In the end, I phoned regional manager and asked him if this was the way they did business. Of course, he said no but I imagine all staff are told to get body on site asap.

In your case as NLUK said, agent appears to have been lazy and cant be arsed and now hes going to look a tit if hes got to go back to the client and admit it. Can't see any client EVER canning a contractor they've selected because theres a day or two delay with contract either.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I understand what you're saying NLUK but the annoying thing is that the agent asked me how long I would need to get the contract reviewed and I'd already said at least two days. ....and that was only 3 days before the proposed contract start date. The 'Account Manager' and so called admin team who it was then passed over to sat on it for a further day before it reached me. Knowing that this would result in literally no time allowed for any contract amendments, you would have thought that the agency would have forseen this and moved the start date beforehand?
    Ah but this is what they want. You on site with contract accepted before you've had chance to look at and ask them to change it maybe. More work for them and more hassle for them.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    OP - standard agency "can't be arsed with the details, I'm counting my commission on this one". Not uncommon. As far as a lot of agents are concerned as soon as they get the offer in they just dont get it that you cant start next day.

I've had some right run ins with agents over this. I had one (from one of the big agencies) swear at me, call me all sorts of names because I refused to start Thursday 9am after only being offered the role at 7pm Wed. Apparently, this was the first time ever a contractor had refused to start just because of "a piece of paper".

In the end, I phoned regional manager and asked him if this was the way they did business. Of course, he said no but I imagine all staff are told to get body on site asap.

In your case as NLUK said, agent appears to have been lazy and cant be arsed and now hes going to look a tit if hes got to go back to the client and admit it. Can't see any client EVER canning a contractor they've selected because theres a day or two delay with contract either.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    They are trying it on as its more work for them (heaven forbid they should actually be asked to do any work for their cut!), stick to your guns, the client wants you. If It all goes pear shaped I would make sure the client know whose b@lls up it is.

Leave a comment:

• Willy Win
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Care to name & shame the agent?
    Rullion

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Care to name & shame the agent?

Leave a comment:

• Willy Win
    replied
    I did tell the agency yesterday that I wouldn't go ahead with the contract until the changes were made which I feel is a big risk. Not heard back from them yet so fingers crossed they don't can me. ..

Leave a comment:

• Willy Win
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not over reacting but you shouldn't have let it get this late IMO. Making it clear to the agent you don't go in until the contract is sorted often gets things moving much quicker.
    I understand what you're saying NLUK but the annoying thing is that the agent asked me how long I would need to get the contract reviewed and I'd already said at least two days. ....and that was only 3 days before the proposed contract start date. The 'Account Manager' and so called admin team who it was then passed over to sat on it for a further day before it reached me. Knowing that this would result in literally no time allowed for any contract amendments, you would have thought that the agency would have forseen this and moved the start date beforehand?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X