• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does anyone have both IPSE+ AND Qdos."

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    I would think it's only a problem if you claim on both concurrently. Qdos, from memory, do want you to go through them first, but say for whatever reason they thought there was no point continuing, I don't think that would preclude claiming through IPSE. It's worth clarifying it with both of them before claiming, but the only instance where I could see there being an issue is if you had both TLC35 and Survive35 (separate offerings) and tried to claim on both.
    IIRC, if you make a claim you have to declare whether there is any other insurance in place that might cover the case. From asking elsewhere in the past, the general perception was that the various insurers would work together rather than everyone washing their hands of the whole situation.

Leave a comment:

• eazy
    replied
    Options

If you have Qdos TLC or another provider which covers tax liabilities, I would suggest you always contact them before others who only offer investigation cover.

I would select them for representations to HMRC and use others for advice.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    It's fairly expensive compared to TLC35. Basically a lump sum based off the value of the potential liability and then an on-going yearly fee. Depending on how long you want to hold it, it can then work out cheaper, as the yearly fee is lower.
    Given of course you almost certainly wont ever need either...

I would think it's only a problem if you claim on both concurrently. Qdos, from memory, do want you to go through them first, but say for whatever reason they thought there was no point continuing, I don't think that would preclude claiming through IPSE. It's worth clarifying it with both of them before claiming, but the only instance where I could see there being an issue is if you had both TLC35 and Survive35 (separate offerings) and tried to claim on both.
    Actually, that won't happen; both have said they will honour a claim regardless of what other insurances you may have, so it would be a case of pick one and carry on. Don't expect to swap over once you've started though. As for claiming on both, that would be fraudulent...

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    There's also the Survive35 Abbey Tax offering above what IPSE+ membership gives you which covers losses - haven't looked into it in any detail, but will throw into the mix.
    It's fairly expensive compared to TLC35. Basically a lump sum based off the value of the potential liability and then an on-going yearly fee. Depending on how long you want to hold it, it can then work out cheaper, as the yearly fee is lower.

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    If you have two insurances covering the same thing it is always going to mean problems when you actually need to use it. Both will always find a reason why the other insurance has to fork out and not them. So I don't see much added value in IPSE and have QDOS alone.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 17 October 2015, 10:31.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    If you have two insurances covering the same thing it is always going to mean problems when you actually need to use it. Both will always find a reason why the other insurance has to fork out and not them. So I don't see much added value in IPSE and have QDOS alone.
    One poster (can't remember who but they may come out and say who they are) had both. HMRC investigated him and it was IPSE who were happy to deal with it properly for no extra cost.

It's actually the same with insurers for other things. Some are complete charlatans who will do everything to avoid paying out a claim, but others will deal you to the letter of the contract without a fuss.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    There's also the Survive35 Abbey Tax offering above what IPSE+ membership gives you which covers losses - haven't looked into it in any detail, but will throw into the mix.
    Last edited by mudskipper; 17 October 2015, 06:13.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I remember looking at these a while ago. Not sure if its still the same but IPSE is coverage while your still paying membership whereas QDOS used to be per contract? Not sure if its the same now...

Was tempted by QDOS offering - they are a cracking bunch but just IPSE for me at the moment.

Those of you who have both. Don't see the point. Surely if something comes up you're going to have to select one to make initial contact with anyway? And then thats it.

Don't think you can contact IPSE, go with them, then decide you want QDOS coverage after all. Doesnt work like that.
    Indeed but the covers are slightly different and these differences don't tend to become apparent until you need them. At the point I'm facing the potential to have to pay 10's of K back should I lose having an option that only costs me £250 a year is a bit of a bargain really.

It's not really a waste, it's about peace of mind and for me it's cheap enough to have it. IPSE pays for itself in other areas. So I'm content. I'm also not gonna call anyone out for only having one of the options. They are still covered and they are happy with it. It's a very personal choice I think.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I remember looking at these a while ago. Not sure if its still the same but IPSE is coverage while your still paying membership whereas QDOS used to be per contract? Not sure if its the same now...

Was tempted by QDOS offering - they are a cracking bunch but just IPSE for me at the moment.

Those of you who have both. Don't see the point. Surely if something comes up you're going to have to select one to make initial contact with anyway? And then thats it.

Don't think you can contact IPSE, go with them, then decide you want QDOS coverage after all. Doesnt work like that.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
    I totally get your point, I probably didn't explain clearly. I've been thinking about joining IPSE (most probably will), but the reason I was on this thread was to see what the differences were between the IPSE and QDOS offering, and where InTouch's new service crosses over.
    The full list of IPSE benefits are here. Ask the other two how many of these they cover...

Leave a comment:

• MrWebDev
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why are you even thinking? Do they cover jury service, agents going bump and so on as well offer enough discounts at high street stores to be able to get your 240 quid back if you really wanted???
    I totally get your point, I probably didn't explain clearly. I've been thinking about joining IPSE (most probably will), but the reason I was on this thread was to see what the differences were between the IPSE and QDOS offering, and where InTouch's new service crosses over.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
    I was going to mention this. I've been thinking about joining the IPSE. I already use InTouch for my accounting and they've now 'beefed up' their offering with the new £75K of fees covered for Tax/IR35 investigations.
    Why are you even thinking? Do they cover jury service, agents going bump and so on as well offer enough discounts at high street stores to be able to get your 240 quid back if you really wanted???

Leave a comment:

• MrWebDev
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    I have IPSE+ and QDOS (TLC35).....and now InTouch are in on the gig too, with their 'enhanced service' offering.

Two-way split? I laugh at you and raise you to 3....

(of course, they are not all the same, but the overlap is there)
    I was going to mention this. I've been thinking about joining the IPSE. I already use InTouch for my accounting and they've now 'beefed up' their offering with the new £75K of fees covered for Tax/IR35 investigations.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    I have IPSE+ and QDOS (TLC35).....and now InTouch are in on the gig too, with their 'enhanced service' offering.

Two-way split? I laugh at you and raise you to 3....

(of course, they are not all the same, but the overlap is there)

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Don't see the harm in having both and like NLUK said, the IPSE cover encompasses additional things. I believe Qdos generally expect you to go through them first to handle any claims but you're best off asking them how they would deal with such a scenario.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X