• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "All sorts of trouble .... (Tax & VAT)"

Collapse

• helpplease
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Dare I ask - has the mrs been sacked?
    Certainly from all areas of accounting !

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Dare I ask - has the mrs been sacked?

Leave a comment:

• Danglekt
    replied
    Well done for getting to the other side of this - still work to do by the sounds of it, but I'm pleased for you.

Leave a comment:

• helpplease
    replied
    Originally posted by tvr450 View Post
    So, what happened in the end? How was the holiday?
    Was great thanks...

Trying to negotiate with HMRC for the suspension of the remaining 3k of penalties.

And also trying to negotiate a payment plan on the VAT.

Still a bit up in the air, but I have control of things now so know exactly whats going on.

Leave a comment:

• tvr450
    replied
    So, what happened in the end? How was the holiday?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by jpdw View Post
    I've just read this thread and like others I really feel for the OP and hope he's getting things sorted - hope the holiday was good time-out from it and that you're gradually getting on top of the mess & sorting it out.

However easy it is to ignore reminders from accountants is one question but that pre-supposes the reminders were there & on time themselves. I moved accountants a few months ago partly because I found myself reminding the accountants rather than the other way around (one time waiting till the day of the VAT deadline just to see if they'd forgotten). 'Colleagues' with the same accountants had similar issues, on one occasion apparently incurring penalties as a result. So I can imagine that if someone is less inclined to chase the accountant, and the accountant isn't reminding the client either, it's too easy for things to have slipped by. Not an excuse, but its understandable how it happens.

I'll let you guess which firm this was.
    Bugger that wouldnt put up with an accountant like that.

Luckily, Im with NW who are superb and remind me rather than the other way around. They even notice mistakes in my expense forms I submit.

Leave a comment:

• jpdw
    replied
    I've just read this thread and like others I really feel for the OP and hope he's getting things sorted - hope the holiday was good time-out from it and that you're gradually getting on top of the mess & sorting it out.

However easy it is to ignore reminders from accountants is one question but that pre-supposes the reminders were there & on time themselves. I moved accountants a few months ago partly because I found myself reminding the accountants rather than the other way around (one time waiting till the day of the VAT deadline just to see if they'd forgotten). 'Colleagues' with the same accountants had similar issues, on one occasion apparently incurring penalties as a result. So I can imagine that if someone is less inclined to chase the accountant, and the accountant isn't reminding the client either, it's too easy for things to have slipped by. Not an excuse, but its understandable how it happens.

I'll let you guess which firm this was.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by helpplease View Post
    Still alive ! Just decided to take the holiday is mentioned .... I needed it !

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Hope you're making progress sorting it all out.

Leave a comment:

• helpplease
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Bump, OP you still around?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Bump, OP you still around?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Got a point. Hiding something like a hotel receipt if you're having an affair is one thing - clear motive. Just don;t see why she chose to hide all this stuff from you. Seems like it was more than just not bothering to do if she was actively trying for you not to find out. Whats she got to gain from that?
    Once things fall apart it may seem easier to hide the truth rather than saying what has happened. Then it just gets worse until you feel you have no choice but to hide everything...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Could the Mrs be suffering from something which explains why she is not coping, I know you probably hate her at the moment, but you loved her once, maybe she needs professional help too
    Got a point. Hiding something like a hotel receipt if you're having an affair is one thing - clear motive. Just don;t see why she chose to hide all this stuff from you. Seems like it was more than just not bothering to do if she was actively trying for you not to find out. Whats she got to gain from that?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Nothing to say on it other than it got on top and didnt know what to do ... far from been anywhere near in a course of separation, things were great.

Having looked at this myself and spoke to a few people I totally agree .... it's very easy, there's no reason someone with a little bit of sense could not get on with doing this stuff.
    Could the Mrs be suffering from something which explains why she is not coping, I know you probably hate her at the moment, but you loved her once, maybe she needs professional help too

Leave a comment:

• helpplease
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    How did you find out then? came across a letter? Cheerily asked her if all the books were uptodate and got suspicious?

I don't want to come across as digging for dirt, but trying to understand the "how"?
    Heh .... brace yourself ...

As a joke I put on one of her jackets to go walk the dog .... stuck my hand in the pocket and before i had chance to take out what I had found I was pounced on .... I won the fight and found the letter from HMRC.

Almost funny ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X