• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Daughter as a shareholder?"

Collapse

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Firstly if they are minor children then they will be held in trust. Possibly simply a bare trust.

Secondly if placing into trust for the benefit of minor children any income is accrued to the benefit of the settlor. The definition of settlement is fairly wide.

However, that is not to say that there has to be a settlement and it has to be caught. But it is certainly more complex than "I'll just establish a discretionary trust".

Tax basics: The settlement provisions and children. By NIchola Ross Martin | AccountingWEB
    Parental settlements | STEP
    http://www.londontrust.net/filedepot...TTOIA_2005.pdf
    True, my answer was obviously grossly simplified.

The correct answer is: settlements legislation can be complex, especially regarding trusts - take professional advice.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    This is the crux of it. So long as the children are not minors or the money is paid into a trust to which the donor retains no beneficial interest or control in then its not caught by s624.
    Firstly if they are minor children then they will be held in trust. Possibly simply a bare trust.

Secondly if placing into trust for the benefit of minor children any income is accrued to the benefit of the settlor. The definition of settlement is fairly wide.

However, that is not to say that there has to be a settlement and it has to be caught. But it is certainly more complex than "I'll just establish a discretionary trust".

Tax basics: The settlement provisions and children. By NIchola Ross Martin | AccountingWEB
    Parental settlements | STEP
    http://www.londontrust.net/filedepot...TTOIA_2005.pdf

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    The point of S660 is that you have a controlling interest in the money an dhow it is spent, not that you have paid it out to a connected person.
    This is the crux of it. So long as the children are not minors or the money is paid into a trust to which the donor retains no beneficial interest or control in then its not caught by s624.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    As usual, nice behaviour in the professional forums. Nothing less than expected from you, however.
    Coming from a tired old sockie that really needs retiring with virtually zero useful input to the forum I'll take that as a compliment.. Now shush. Back to my interesting thread.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I did and he said if Ticktock replies just tell him to go **** himself cause he's a moron . Pretty sound advice as usual.
    As usual, nice behaviour in the professional forums. Nothing less than expected from you, however.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I did and he said if Ticktock replies just tell him to go **** himself cause he's a moron . Pretty sound advice as usual.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Is he just flying against most of the advice we are giving or are there different circumstances here that may not affect us?
    What did your accountant say when you asked him? You do have an accountant don't you?

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    The piece is badly written (once again promoting the myth that we only pay 20% tax on income, for example), but it depends on where the share income itself ends up. If it is into a trust for example, where it is out of Vine's reach, which is very east to arrange for a minor, it may well be perfectly legal. The point of S660 is that you have a controlling interest in the money an dhow it is spent, not that you have paid it out to a connected person.

That said, I'm not that comfortable with the whole situation...
    IIRC the piece originated in Private Eye and was written somewhat differently.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Nice to see the mainstream press catching up with Private Eye

As the end of his guide said, "Relax - your veritable mountain of cash is safe from the desperate clawing hands of the needy." so he's just clearly following his own advice.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    The piece is badly written (once again promoting the myth that we only pay 20% tax on income, for example), but it depends on where the share income itself ends up. If it is into a trust for example, where it is out of Vine's reach, which is very east to arrange for a minor, it may well be perfectly legal. The point of S660 is that you have a controlling interest in the money an dhow it is spent, not that you have paid it out to a connected person.

It would have to be in some form of trust due to her age. A bare trust would do it but it could be more complex. S660 and minors is quite explicit, but a discretionary trust could conceivably work.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    There is in fact a very specific bit of s660 as was that covers it. Any income in excess of 100 quid from parental gifts is assessed on the parents.

covers everything in fact. The savings account you put a bit in from time to time for example.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    started a topic Daughter as a shareholder?

Daughter as a shareholder?

Jeremy Vine made daughter, 10, a company director to lower tax bill | Daily Mail Online

'What is a little unusual is his daughter. Let’s be honest, she is unlikely to have said, “Daddy, I want to spend my pocket money on shares in the company”.’
    Jelly Vine Productions’ accounts do not disclose how much it has paid out or whether it has paid dividends to all three family members, or just Mr Vine himself.
    Mr Murphy said Mr Vine could have named his daughter as a shareholder for ‘long-term tax-planning’ purposes, reducing the tax she would pay if she inherits part of the business.
    Alternatively, Mr Vine may have made his wife and daughter shareholders to split the dividend payouts, keeping them just small enough to ensure they are taxed at a lower rate, rather than at 40 or 45 per cent.
    A spokesman for the presenter said the reason for making his daughter a shareholder was ‘private’ but ‘perfectly legal’, adding: ‘I don’t think it is cynical. What Jeremy is doing is very common. If the Government makes laws that allow people to do things that are advantageous, it is up to the Government to change the laws.’
    Hmmm seems to be a lot wrong with this. To only pay himself divis he would either need a waiver or his wife and daughter have B class shares. Either way that's against most of the advice I've ever had.

Making his daughter is perfectly legal maybe bit common???

Is he just flying against most of the advice we are giving or are there different circumstances here that may not affect us?

Working...
X