• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working practices

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working practices"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Not strictly true. A company would not be too happy if a line manager signed a document that subverted or contradicted a signed contract, hence the usual reluctance to do so.
    Agreed hence my comment re finding the right person but yes I see your point. If the company is happy enough to do by mail it would suffice. That's a big if I agree.
    The real problem is the possible disconnect between what the agency has contracted with you and whatever Ts&Cs they have sold their client. Some are very good about it, some - rather too many - are completely out of order. I've refused a gig before now because of a poor agency contract, then found it re-advertised elsewhere with a sensible-looking contract only to discover (in time) that the second agency are only feeding the first, meaning their views on D&C and RoS are totally unsupportable.

If we could guarantee the chain of contracts was entirely consistent, a CoA letter would be unnecessary.
    Im not sure I agree with this. Surely the CoA is there to prove that the working arrangements meet the contractual terms so bridging the gap between the two. Even if you had this chain you could argue practices may not match so the CoA will always be a useful document to any defense regardless of contract chain? For example, I am sure there are many chains which are aligned around say RoS but we know most clients attitude to this on the ground. A CoA may go somewhere to proving its not a sham?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I find that hard to believe. The document is just a confirmation of the situation, not a legal document. As long as you have evidence the right person has confirmed it then you have your evidence. The key here is getting the right person.
    Not strictly true. A company would not be too happy if a line manager signed a document that subverted or contradicted a signed contract, hence the usual reluctance to do so.

The real problem is the possible disconnect between what the agency has contracted with you and whatever Ts&Cs they have sold their client. Some are very good about it, some - rather too many - are completely out of order. I've refused a gig before now because of a poor agency contract, then found it re-advertised elsewhere with a sensible-looking contract only to discover (in time) that the second agency are only feeding the first, meaning their views on D&C and RoS are totally unsupportable.

If we could guarantee the chain of contracts was entirely consistent, a CoA letter would be unnecessary.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I find that hard to believe. The document is just a confirmation of the situation, not a legal document. As long as you have evidence the right person has confirmed it then you have your evidence. The key here is getting the right person.
    And finding someone WGAS about it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    Perhaps the fact that they have to sign it makes some jittery, if they don't understand the nature of the document. I remember reading a while ago it can simply be accepted through email instead - is this true?

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Hmmm. I do wonder how many clients when asked this will think:-

1) WTF is this?
    2) I cant be arsed with all this.
    Perhaps the fact that they have to sign it makes some jittery, if they don't understand the nature of the document. I remember reading a while ago it can simply be accepted through email instead - is this true?

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Wouldn't even try to put one of those docs in front of someone unless I thought the terms contained were so guaranteed as to make it pointless anyway

Will instead rely on the fact that I have to buy my own coffee to get me out of IR35!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
    All of mine
    Not far off here either. Had two signed in the past but it's not the norm. Getting the right person to sign it so it will actually stand up is a challenge as well.

Leave a comment:

• Grasser73
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

1) WTF is this?
    All of mine

Leave a comment:

• Ltd
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yes, they'll do whatever it takes to build a case. However, it's important to remember that their best case may be (very often is) crap, so the CoA may help at a later stage.
    Do I understand it right that HMRC investigators have a 'traffic warden' mentality and will do whatever it takes to milk it for all its worth anyway?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    I had a CoA signed by the manager in the department I worked in, basically saying I worked on my own without any direction and control from him. HMRC just ignored it and went to the HR department to get them to answer the closed questions to confirm my guilt.
    Yes, they'll do whatever it takes to build a case. However, it's important to remember that their best case may be (very often is) crap, so the CoA may help at a later stage.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    I had a CoA signed by the manager in the department I worked in, basically saying I worked on my own without any direction and control from him. HMRC just ignored it and went to the HR department to get them to answer the closed questions to confirm my guilt.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

1) WTF is this?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Another example:

http://www.bauerandcottrell.co.uk/do...nfirmation.doc

Some argue that the contract should provide sufficient detail to render a CoA moot and potentially risks a conflict between the two, but I personally think it adds colour.

Remember: 1) it needs to be signed by someone that is familiar with your working practices, not some random person from HR or procurement; and 2) to retain evidence of your working practices.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Qdos - http://www.qdosconsulting.com/docs/d...s.doc?sfvrsn=2

IPSE have one as well (IIRC), but I don't have the link handy and I don't know if it's available to non members.

Leave a comment:

• Ltd
    started a topic Working practices

Working practices

As guidance here How to deal with an HMRC IR35 letter :: Contractor UK says "Consider seeking client confirmation of the day-to-day working practices" I am thinking of getting my client to sign the working practices while still doing the contract. Where can I get a sample of working practices? What needs to be there?

Working...
X