• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is Writing a DIY Will suitable for Contractors with a LTD company"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    Depends if he's left you anything.
    Even if he has, the statement that you need a professional will writer if "you have any shareholders (besides a spouse)" was, and remains, total bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Why would having other shareholders in your company make things any more or less complicated about what you did with your share?

I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that Larry Ellison's will isn't additionally complicated because I own shares in Oracle.
    Depends if he's left you anything.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Because things can get complicated and messy if not written up correctly
    Why would having other shareholders in your company make things any more or less complicated about what you did with your share?

I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that Larry Ellison's will isn't additionally complicated because I own shares in Oracle.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Why?
    Because things can get complicated and messy if not written up correctly

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    If you have any shareholders (besides a spouse) you will need a professional will writer.
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    If you have any shareholders (besides a spouse) you will need a professional will writer.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    given how little it cost to have our wills written professionally (about £180 I think for mirror wills), why take the chance of making a mess of things?
    ^ Exactly this. It's not that expensive to get it done properly.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    IMO don't bother with DIY wills. Most of them aren't worth the paper they are written on. I don't know how a Ltd affects things but it's an added complication so I would say go for a will writing service like the Co-op legal services offer. Prices are from 130 quid I think and they store it for you as well. That kind of money to get it right and as hassle free should the worst happen is a no brainer surely.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with a DIY will, as long as things are very simple. My mother's is half a sheet of A4 and basically an amended version of my late father's will - there were no issues when HE died.

That said getting a simple will drawn up is NOT expensive, £100-150 sounds about what we paid when our IFA referred us, and if you are married, especially with kids, I wouldn't want to risk a cock-up.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    PS A bit more on topic. As I understand it from the late missus's company, the proportion of a company's value passed to a deceased's relatives simply depends on the proportion of shares he/she has, assuming you only have ordinary shares. Valuation of the company is nowt to do with the will.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    My mother hand wrote her will on a few sheets of paper and we never had any legal problems with it. My father was an accountant and had it all done professionally. He appointed a major bank as executors and they ripped us off. I suspected fraud but could not prove it.

As it happens I am now redoing my own will with "professional" will writers and beginning to think they are utter crap. Just discovered from someone I know that there are potential CGT implications in the trust declaration I am supposed to sign and they have never even mentioned the issue. It would not help their glossy adverts to do so.

Best idea, as with accountants, garages, builders, whatever:

a) Always go with a small local firm which has been in business a long time and whom you can consult on a personal basis, avoid the self promotional big companies.

b) Sill check it all out yourself to the best of your (and the internet's) ability. Trust nobody.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 9 February 2015, 20:28.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Here's a cheery thought.

If you and your wife die in the same car crash, then whichever one of you is oldest is legally deemed to have died first. So, if you're older, your will is 'read' first, which means it all belongs to her. Then hers is 'read'. So make sure she doesn't leave all your stuff to her idiot brother.

At least I think that's probably how it works.
    IIRC, ours said something like we had to survive the other by n days otherwise it should be treated as if we'd snuffed it at the same time. But ours were mirror wills.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Everyone knows that if you write a will it's tempting fate, dead next day....

When's Suity writing his?
    Nope, that's signing it. We got ours written about 20 years ago when we could ill afford it. Mr ms has yet to get round to signing his...

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

The key thing is that you actually do make a will rather than your estate being intestate. Because then, the grubby scum Treasury Solicitor will take the lot and use it for MPs expenses and the like.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Until my brother had kids, that was always my worry - that all his things would go to his wife, and then to her family. I'm not too fussed about the money, but there were things he'd inherited from my grandparents because he was the eldest child, that would have gone to non-family, or been sold / given away.
    When we had ours written, we had to consider scenarios like - what if all of us - my wife, myself and my daughter - all died together. Who would our stuff go to then and how would it be split etc.

As Maslins said, you don't need a solicitor per se - they will probably be more expensive than a dedicated will writer.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Here's a cheery thought.

If you and your wife die in the same car crash, then whichever one of you is oldest is legally deemed to have died first. So, if you're older, your will is 'read' first, which means it all belongs to her. Then hers is 'read'. So make sure she doesn't leave all your stuff to her idiot brother.

At least I think that's probably how it works.
    Yep.

Until my brother had kids, that was always my worry - that all his things would go to his wife, and then to her family. I'm not too fussed about the money, but there were things he'd inherited from my grandparents because he was the eldest child, that would have gone to non-family, or been sold / given away.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X