• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Claiming mileage without a car"

Collapse

• John8589
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    - Coat for cold weather
    - High vis jacket
    - Shoes wear off quickly
    - new gloves
    - Extra food needed including stopover at Costa
    I need extra beer when clients ask me questions like this. Do you think HMRC will let me deduct the expense for tax purposes?

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by John8589 View Post
    By walking, what expense do you think you're incurring?

I would have given you a more detailed answer if you hadn't come across as such a prat.
    - Coat for cold weather
    - High vis jacket
    - Shoes wear off quickly
    - new gloves
    - Extra food needed including stopover at Costa

Leave a comment:

• John8589
    replied
    Originally posted by Hallam Jones Accounting View Post
    Hi,

The best and easiest thing to do if you do not own the car or are not responsible for it is to make a payment to the driver for the lift and ask for a receipt. You can then legitimately claim the business trip as a business expense.

Abbas Shah
    Hallam Jones Accountancy
    Considering your awful website that is riddled with spelling mistakes and typos, this answer does not surprise me.

Your website also mentions that dividends are available on profits before tax. Excuse me??

Stop giving bad advice to your current client base and to users of this forum.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    And violate the driver's insurance since they are charging you for the journey.
    So in that case if there's no cost to the employee, there is no benefit to pay!

Leave a comment:

• John8589
    replied
    How much can you claim per mile (tax free) for walking?
    - No I didn't ask my accountant
    - No I didn't do a search
    - No I didn't check any of the links provided in this thread
    By walking, what expense do you think you're incurring?

I would have given you a more detailed answer if you hadn't come across as such a prat.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie252
    replied
    Hi,

The best and easiest thing to do if you do not own the car or are not responsible for it is to make a payment to the driver for the lift and ask for a receipt. You can then legitimately claim the business trip as a business expense.

Abbas Shah
    Hallam Jones Accountancy
    The OP might get better advice from MRS Shahs Food Company Ltd that operates from the same address

Or, excuse my ignorance, is Abbas a male or female name? are you in fact Mrs Shah?

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Eat more food for lunch to make up for the extra calories burned and claim for that.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Hi,

Abbas Shah
    Hallam Jones Accountancy
    I know your name is more like an Indian but you sound like a cowboy.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Hi,

Abbas Shah
    Hallam Jones Accountancy
    And violate the driver's insurance since they are charging you for the journey.

Leave a comment:

• Hallam Jones Accounting
    replied
    Hi,

Abbas Shah
    Hallam Jones Accountancy

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied

Leave a comment:

• John8589
    replied
    Sorry, I should have elaborated (my badly written posts have probably caused some confusion!). Cycling Programmers first paragraph on the post at 19:33 is therefore correct.

However, whilst legal ownership is not necessary, you must bear the costs of the vehicle you are claiming the mileage for.

BIM47701 Applies
    Ownership - It is not necessary for a person who claims mileage rate basis to be the legal owner of the vehicle. All that is necessary is that the taxpayer claiming the expense is paying the costs of running and maintaining the vehicle.
    Last edited by John8589; 8 February 2015, 19:48.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    It's worth noting that if these payments do fall under the passenger payment exemption, then it only applies if the driver is also an employee making a business journey and is paid mileage for the trip.

In other words it's an addition, not standalone. And it's payable to the driver.

EIM31400 - Employees using own cars or vans for work: outline and definition of passenger payments

I stand by what I said about mileage being allowed on any car, other than company cars, regardless of ownership but it does seem be the case that you need to have been driving (paragraph 4 of the above legislation backs this up).
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 8 February 2015, 19:39.

Leave a comment:

• David P
    replied
    Originally posted by John8589 View Post
    I base my answer on legislation. It can be found in the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, Section 229, Paragraphs 1 & 4 being relevant.

Basing decisions on HMRC and .Gov guidance is risky business!

Many thanks.

Leave a comment:

• John8589
    replied
    I base my answer on legislation. It can be found in the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, Section 229, Paragraphs 1 & 4 being relevant.

Basing decisions on HMRC and .Gov guidance is risky business!
    Last edited by John8589; 8 February 2015, 19:04.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X