• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New proposal from IPSE - Smoke and mirrors?"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    If you were going to be getting some of the rights of an employee (which is essentially what's being proposed) then I can't see that you would be charged anything other than Class 1 NIC's; even if they did apply SE NIC's the false self-employment legislation would apply so you would have to prove no SDC which means that you are pretty much back to IR35
    I don't know, but if the IPSE proposal contains anything about employee rights I would be very surprised..

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    I'm assuming that a FLC would be taxed the same as self-employed if it did go ahead, so no Employer's NI. Just class 4 NIC's.

Would FLC mean we could operate as the same entity i.e. Self Employed with the protection of a LTD and just put all our Income/Expenditure on our self assessment and not need accountants to manage the company accounts. Could you carry forward retained profit?
    If you were going to be getting some of the rights of an employee (which is essentially what's being proposed) then I can't see that you would be charged anything other than Class 1 NIC's; even if they did apply SE NIC's the false self-employment legislation would apply so you would have to prove no SDC which means that you are pretty much back to IR35

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    You don't need to be reminded. You said a few posts back it's coming and have said several times that we have to be able to make our own proposal. You have also stated here and over there that the gov is looking at other countries models including the German one. Why would they not take into account the US model when determining what we get?
    Particularly considering how similar the UK is in many respects to the US where the tax system is concerned.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Remind me, when did we become subject to American legislation?
    You don't need to be reminded. You said a few posts back it's coming and have said several times that we have to be able to make our own proposal. You have also stated here and over there that the gov is looking at other countries models including the German one. Why would they not take into account the US model when determining what we get?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    We didn't. However, as you well know, IPSE are looking at various models from around the world - of which this is one.

If the American S company model isn't something that the team are looking at, then goodness knows what they are doing.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    You're not stupid, don't behave like it.

He's simply posted a scenario that; in the case of a new corporate vehicle being created; could wind up as reality. It's not likely, but it's every bit as possible as any warm and fluffy alternatives that IPSE may care to daydream about.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    At the bottom of the USA model there is a reference to .

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Based on LFIG's proposal. We don't know if the assumption is wrong based on the ipse proposal, because there is no detail of what the proposal is yet...
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Have a look at how the Americans deal with is - Salary Net Income, s-corp, s-corporation | The Self Directed IRA Handbook
    • You should pay yourself a market rate
    • If you have employees, yours should be the highest salary
    • If you work full time, then pay a higher salary
    • If you work in professional services, then take a higher salary
    • You pay no corporation tax
    • You pay income tax (and FICA) on profits instead

Doesn't look good to me, thanks.
    At the bottom of the USA model there is a reference to
    As a general rule, we recommend that business owners take at least 1/3 of their income as salary and pay self employment tax on those amounts.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but you can f*** right off if you think I'm paying more tax just because you call me a name.
    They're the same people who will no doubt put money in an ISA and pension and fail to see the difference.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Your assumption is entirely wrong. Take a look at last week's CUK article by Philip Ross. When he comes back to answer the questions he has been asked, he will no doubt tell you what he thinks is a fair salary/dividend split and who is going to set that for you.
    Based on LFIG's proposal. We don't know if the assumption is wrong based on the ipse proposal, because there is no detail of what the proposal is yet...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Your assumption is entirely wrong. Take a look at last week's CUK article by Philip Ross. When he comes back to answer the questions he has been asked, he will no doubt tell you what he thinks is a fair salary/dividend split and who is going to set that for you.
    Have a look at how the Americans deal with is - Salary Net Income, s-corp, s-corporation | The Self Directed IRA Handbook
    • You should pay yourself a market rate
    • If you have employees, yours should be the highest salary
    • If you work full time, then pay a higher salary
    • If you work in professional services, then take a higher salary
    • You pay no corporation tax
    • You pay income tax (and FICA) on profits instead

Doesn't look good to me, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied

Thanks, Just read it. It was not on the FP so took a little digging link below if anyone else missed it.

Why the UK should form a Freelancer Limited Company (FLC) :: Contractor UK

So the Div/Salary split could be set by someone else and not tied to the self-employed, but still retain the carry forward of profit and need for an accountant. Looks like their is also a requirement to still prove your not employed with the proposal which kinda makes the whole thing pointless as that's the current thinking of IR35.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

I'm assuming that a FLC would be taxed the same as self-employed if it did go ahead, so no Employer's NI. Just class 4 NIC's.

Would FLC mean we could operate as the same entity i.e. Self Employed with the protection of a LTD and just put all our Income/Expenditure on our self assessment and not need accountants to manage the company accounts.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied

Would FLC mean we could operate as the same entity i.e. Self Employed with the protection of a LTD and just put all our Income/Expenditure on our self assessment and not need accountants to manage the company accounts. Could you carry forward retained profit?
    Last edited by BlueSharp; 27 November 2014, 16:28.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Are you saying you would be happy to pay more tax if people stopped calling you names?
    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but you can f*** right off if you think I'm paying more tax just because you call me a name.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X