• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client Christmas Party"

Collapse

• pacontracting
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Is their a maximum duration limit on the £150 per head. I mean, could I claim one week summer holiday (camping) as the company outing event?
    There is no specific mention of a maximum duration but providing the total expenses incurred for the event don't exceed £150 / person i.e. if the camping was £149 but you had to eat, get there, take out insurance etc - all those costs would be taken into account. You can't pay for 'campsite' rental then pay the rest personally.

Equally, there have been instances where I've heard of HMRC disallowing expenditure where the event has not been truly annual e.g. a Christmas party that happened one year, but not the next.

Best bet (IMHO) is to keep it simple, keep it annual and make sure all the costs actually incurred for the event are included. If they total less than £150/person - that should help your case.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Is their a maximum duration limit on the £150 per head. I mean, could I claim one week summer holiday (camping) as the company outing event?

Leave a comment:

• bigmaz
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you normally provide your accountant with receipts then yes.

My accountant doesn't ask for physical copies of receipts, so i don't provide them to her.
    This is probably a daft question, but how does she know how much to put through? Does she get it from your bank account?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by bigmaz View Post
    When I asked her if she would put this through, she kind of "ermmm" and "ummmm'd" about it and then said it should be fine, so wasnt sure if I should have asked her any more about it.
    That would be the point I would ask for details. If she isn't sure then how can you make a decision on what to do. It's your neck that's on the block not hers.

Leave a comment:

• bigmaz
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Ask your accountant
    When I asked her if she would put this through, she kind of "ermmm" and "ummmm'd" about it and then said it should be fine, so wasnt sure if I should have asked her any more about it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Do Receipts have to be provided to your accountant for this?
    Ask your accountant

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If you normally provide your accountant with receipts then yes.

My accountant doesn't ask for physical copies of receipts, so i don't provide them to her.

Leave a comment:

• bigmaz
    replied
    Last edited by bigmaz; 29 October 2014, 22:36.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by CheekyStarfish View Post
    Oh schucks!!! How annoying indeed although it doesn't say in their guidance that you have to enjoy it and have fun 😋
    I did mention the wife would be there

(only joking, but it was too obvious to miss)

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Oh schucks!!! How annoying indeed although it doesn't say in their guidance that you have to enjoy it and have fun 😋

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So if it has to be annual, the fact d000hg Ltd did this last year for the first time means I'm now forced by HMRC to take myself and the wife out for dinner on the company's dime every Christmas-season?

How annoying

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Ice
    replied
    Don't Go

Don't go it's Xmas which is the worst invention ever.. stay in and be a Grinch

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    I'm with Jamesbrown on this. For the £150 per head to apply it must be an "annual" event/function. The key word for interpretation is annual IMHO. Annual being something that occurs every year (tax year in this context of the thread). Probably mentioned in more words in this thread but you can spend more than £150 per head aggregated but then the whole lot is subject to BIK. I'd spend up to the £150 and then fork out personally for the rest.

The CUK party could count toward the annual function/event cost 😉

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Remember as with all claimable expenses - it's not saving money if you weren't planning to go out anyway!

But, assuming you go out for the odd meal with a partner - make one in December the xmas party and pay for it on the company debit card.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Can't believe after 9 years of contracting I didn't know any of this.

I'm going to take the company secretary out for meal and order the most expensive bottle of red that I've ever ordered. Happy Xmas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X