• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consultant lifestyle - making the most of on the road?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consultant lifestyle - making the most of on the road?

Do any of you guys travel a lot? How do you make the most of it?

I hop around different cities. A lot of work in London and Amsterdam. Can be a lot of fun but it can be hard to settle in to a normal groove. Nightmare for dating birds, keeping up with friends, etc?

Fun time in life but ups and downs. I am sure there are plenty of guys out there living that same hectic, awesome, suitcase lifestyle.

Yeah, I get to see exciting places such as Slough and Luton. When I first went to Slough I thought it was the worst place in Britain. Luton has shown me that I was wrong.

Moving around does get rather tedious.

Comment

Slough and Luton have nothing on the delights of Swindon.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

(not a contractor - yet ... )

currently a permie - I love going to new cities ... great for checking out the nightlife / ladies .... cardiff was nice last year ... helps with the all expenses paid permie perks mind ...

Comment

Away from home

Travelling is one of the things we contractors do that they (permies) don't have to and in any case hate. I know guys that when they look for the next permie job, top of their list is minimum distance from home, in some cases they can't be *rsed to drive or commute more than an hour away. As long as you are prepared to travel North/South/East/West, chances are you'll never be out of a contract. Just back from another stretch away from home and to be honest with you, if I were to work away again, I'd rather be in Amsterdam, Brussels or Paris as it takes the same to get to from London than, say Scotland or North of England. Need an understanding girlfriend/wife/family to do it though (got to promise them that you'd be back for the w/e, overtime and other work commitments, being the exception)

Comment

Next week I shall be in Dusseldorf for a conference and to give a training course. I then go directly to Helsinki for a week to install a system. Back for a couple of days and then off to Chattanooga for another conferences (over a weekend this time) and when I get back its off to Belgium to install a system for a week. Once thats complete its off to Dresden for another conference and to do some work at a customer site. I don't mind too much apart from it all seems to come at once and it always takes a long time to get my expenses back so I tend to be pretty skint at times.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I used to love the travel, the high life on expenses, the new and exciting clients/projects/people/places etc etc.

Did it for 8 years and then realised I was missing out on my life at home. I missed out on girlfriends (very hard to hold down a relationship, but on the flipside very easy to get out of one lol), going out with friends, family get-togethers etc etc.

So I quit my consultancy job and took a contract in London, now much happier!

Comment

Somebody once said

Show me man who has left his Town to make a million bucks and I will show you a man without family and friends.

True or False, its you who decides.

There's a race of men that don't fit in,
                A race that can't stay still;

So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
                And they roam the world at will.

They range the field and they rove the flood,
                And they climb the mountain's crest;

Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood,
                And they don't know how to rest.

If they just went straight they might go far;
                They are strong and brave and true;

But they're always tired of the things that are,
                And they want the strange and new.

They say: "Could I find my proper groove,
                What a deep mark I would make!"

So they chop and change, and each fresh move
                Is only a fresh mistake.

And each forgets, as he strips and runs
                With a brilliant, fitful pace,

It's the steady, quiet, plodding ones
                Who win in the lifelong race.

And each forgets that his youth has fled,
                Forgets that his prime is past,

Till he stands one day, with a hope that's dead,
                In the glare of the truth at last.

He has failed, he has failed; he has missed his chance;
                He has just done things by half.

Life's been a jolly good joke on him,
                And now is the time to laugh.

Ha, ha! He is one of the Legion Lost;
                He was never meant to win;

He's a rolling stone, and it's bred in the bone;
                He's a man who won't fit in.
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 14 March 2006, 10:43.

Comment

I wish to disagree, have a million bucks and you will have more family and friends crawling out'the woodwork than you ever knew existed.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                    I wish to disagree, have a million bucks and you will have more family and friends crawling out'the woodwork than you ever knew existed.
                    Aye T

There is that , how about then a Man who leaves his Town for a fiver ....

Comment

Working...
                    X