• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The football ignoramuses thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The football ignoramuses thread

Bearing in mind I know sod all about football - which is the way I like it - just so I can understand some of the threads on here I have some questions.

1. Last time I looked (back when there was wrestling on at 4pm on a Saturday on ITV) there were four divisions in English football. These were cleverly numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4. I remember quite distinctly. I take it there has been some renaming?

2. There's now a "Premier League". That'll be the old League Division 1, yes?

3. Championship? is that something to do with that thing we used to call the FA Cup?

4. The FA Cup got renamed to the Mug of Milk or some such. Does it still exist and what do you call it now (or is it the "Championship Cup"?)?

5. So is League 1 what I knew as "League Division 2"?

6. In League 2 there is a team called "Accrington Stanley". Has the 1st of April come round early or is that for real?

7. The Bl Sq Prem = "Blue Square Premier". Is that something to do with Salt 'n' Shake crisps?

8. I thought we were all skint in Britain. Just why are footballers paid so much?

9. Where does all the money come from that is given to footballers? (It can't all be from 9 year old boys buying shirts, Shirley?)

10. Why are footballers allowed to perform serious assaults against their colleagues when off duty and get away with it?

11. Do Millwall fans still have "RETTUN" tattooed on their foreheads and beat the crap out of the opponent's fans?

11. Do West Ham fans still go to matches in white coats armed with rolled-up newspapers as weapons and beat the crap out of the opponent's fans?

12. Is there any significance any more in football teams having geographic names?

13. What is the point of football?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Bearing in mind I know sod all about football - which is the way I like it - just so I can understand some of the threads on here I have some questions.

1. Last time I looked (back when there was wrestling on at 4pm on a Saturday on ITV) there were four divisions in English football. These were cleverly numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4. I remember quite distinctly. I take it there has been some renaming?
    Yes, back in the early Nineties IIRC.

Correct.

3. Championship? is that something to do with that thing we used to call the FA Cup?
    I'm not sure, but I think it may be something to do with the second, third and fourth divisions.

4. The FA Cup got renamed to the Mug of Milk or some such. Does it still exist and what do you call it now (or is it the "Championship Cup"?)?
    They seem to have lots of different things nowadays. I don't know if they still do the FA Cup, what they call it, or whether it has the significance it had back in the Sixties and before.

I think so.

6. In League 2 there is a team called "Accrington Stanley". Has the 1st of April come round early or is that for real?
    It is indeed real, insofar as any modern football team can be said to be real.

7. The Bl Sq Prem = "Blue Square Premier". Is that something to do with Salt 'n' Shake crisps?
    I haven't got a clue.

8. I thought we were all skint in Britain. Just why are footballers paid so much?
    It's all to do with Rupert Murdoch and Sky Television.

9. Where does all the money come from that is given to footballers? (It can't all be from 9 year old boys buying shirts, Shirley?)
    Rupert Murdoch and Sky Television.

10. Why are footballers allowed to perform serious assaults against their colleagues when off duty and get away with it?
    Rupert Murdoch said it was OK.

11. Do Millwall fans still have "RETTUN" tattooed on their foreheads and beat the crap out of the opponent's fans?
    I don't know, but I would imagine so.

11. Do West Ham fans still go to matches in white coats armed with rolled-up newspapers as weapons and beat the crap out of the opponent's fans?
    I don't know, but I would imagine so.

12. Is there any significance any more in football teams having geographic names?
    None whatsoever. Wasn't there one from London that moved to Milton Keynes a while back?

There isn't one, other than distracting people from whatever The Powers That Be are up to by giving them something meaningless to occupy their minds. Sort of like religion in the days when people believed in God.

Comment

Soccer was never a great interest of mine but here goes,

There has. I think it took place in two stages.
      Yes, this was the first stage of the renaming. Division 2 was then renamed Division 1, Division 3 renamed Division 2 and Division 4 renamed Division 3 and there was then no Division 4.
      During the second renaming Division 1 (that used to be Division 2) was renamed the Championship. Division 2 (that used to be Division 3) then became Division 1 and Division 3 (that used to be Division 4) then became Division 2.
      The FA Cup is still the FA Cup as far as I know.

No. Division 1 is what used to be Division 3.
      I think it is for real.

This is what used to be the Vauxhall Conference.

SKY TV.

SKY TV.

I don't think they are.

Probably. See news story from last week. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8221451.stm

Probably (see answer to previous question).

They still have to have a "home" ground.

It keeps the proles busy.

hth

Comment

Couldn't agree with you more.

Comment

Football?

Isn't that something that the peasants (Chavs) play or watch?
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            Football?

Isn't that something that the peasants (Chavs) play or watch?
            Yup, aka "oikball"

Comment

No RC. All you need to know is how to recognise a reverse pike with twist. As in - player (usually Portuguese) is in the penalty box, another player approaches with a view to making a tackle, player one hits the grass as if he has been shot in the back, rolls around in agony until penalty is awarded.

God it's so simple!
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Regarding question 4 and the Mug of Milk, I am told "For sponsorship reasons the English Football League Cup was also named "Milk Cup" between 1982 and 1986."

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                This is what used to be the Vauxhall Conference.
                14. What sort of name is that?

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                Probably. See news story from last week. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8221451.stm
                Oh it is so nice to see the old standards being maintained.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                X