• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    just nod if you can hear me

Comment

Just got back from watching "Star Trek".

Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        Just got back from watching "Star Trek".

Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
        Maybe I have seen too many years reading sf to appreciate sci-fi.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Maybe I have seen too many years reading sf to appreciate sci-fi.
          Anomalies?

I've seen a few.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            Can you tell me where it hurts...
            There is is no pain, you are receding.

Comment

Anomalies?

I've seen a few.
              But then again,
              Too many to mention.

Comment

Having had a moan in General about someone even more miserable than me, I think I shall sulk off to bed.

Why am I so fed up? Please send your answers on a post to TPD Towers.

PS <-- is working again. wossat about?

Comment

PS <-- is working again. wossat about?
                  Browser cache?

Or, even more recondite, transparent (but insufficiently) cache fail at your ISP?

Or one of the many other weaknesses that distributed applications such as the World Wide Web are heir to?

I've probably linked to it from here before, but the Eight Fallacies of Distributed Computing can never be linked to enough.

I find it extremely perturbing when I point web developers to it and they ask what it has to do with web development. It seems that many of them can't grasp the fact that "distributed computing" is what they're doing

This fact also helps to explain why so many "Ajax / Web2.0 / CoolShitThatWeMustDoBecauseEverybodyElseIsDoingItThatWay EvenThoughIt'sTotallyIrrelevantToOurActualRequirem ents" web sites exhibit such epic fail.

Luckily, I haven't had to work anywhere that had people like that - well, not any who had the balls to stand up to me telling them they were wrong in the way that something totally wrong is wrong but wronger - for some years now

Comment

I've never really looked at the stuff they put at the back end of DVD packaging, but in doing so I find that it's quite bizarre <- hope that works for you, BI

'Language:" well, English I would assume.

Ah no, it's "Occasional, mild."

What? I mean, WHAT? I can't even find any online tutorials in the language of Occasiona, whether mild or obnoxious

"Sex/nudity: none."

Child picks up DVD case.
                    Child uses newly-acquired reading skills.

"Daddy, what's sex/nudity? This nursery-rhyme DVD doesn't have any."

Good job they're protecting the innocent with this stuff

"Violence: Some moderate horror."

How is horror (let's say, The Abominable Dr Phibes) so closely related to Violence (with a big V) (let's say, A Clockwork Orange) that they can be related in this way?

If you're wondering, the film in question is The Sixth Sense - I only dug it out because it occurred to me (apropos of something I thought about several hours ago) that I'd bought it a couple of years back, but never watched it, and then couldn't see it immediately to hand. It turned out to be at the bottom of a heap. Upon retrieving it, I noticed all this gubbins as I was removing the cellophane.

"Running time: 103mins approx."

Finally, some useful information

Ah well, I don't need to be up that early tomorrow - and although I've seen the film when it was on telly, I did want to review certain aspects of the way the story is presented, so I think I'll watch it now

See you later/tomorrow, denizens

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      ...the film in question is The Sixth Sense...
                      Wow.

Just wow.

A truly excellent film. I'm glad I waited the couple of years between buying the DVD and unwrapping it, for it meant that I watched it when I was receptive to it, rather than in some vague consumerist frenzy brought on by the mere fact of having made the purchase.

At some point I'll get around to watching Hobson's Choice. I had to buy a David Lean boxed set to get it (although that's hardly an imposition) after spending several years checking both Amazon and bricks-and-mortar stores to see if it was yet available.

The cellophane is still on the boxed set, although I came close to taking it off the other week to watch Great Expectations. But one day - quite possibly on a rainy Tuesday afternoon - I will know that the only thing I want to do is to watch Hobson's Choice, and I shall be fully equipped

Comment

Working...
                      X