• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Sorry - what should they hand in again?
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Pardon?
    Originally posted by Numpty View Post
    Eh?
    WTS
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
      WTS
      Don't ask
      Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

I just found this...

The Unix-haters Handbook.

Sadly, this on-line version is without the barfbag.

I have this book in my library.

Complete with unused barfbag.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          I just found this...

Sadly, this on-line version is without the barfbag.

I have this book in my library.

Complete with unused barfbag.
          Ok - I will hate myself in the morning but.....

What's wrong with unix?

Comment

What's wrong with unix?
            Shall we begin with vi ?
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Shall we begin with vi ?
              :q

Comment

Shall we begin with vi ?
                and the 'tar' command use to cause me a few problems - sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  To Ken and Dennis,
                  without whom this book
                  would not have been possible.
                  I thought I was alone!
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Shall we begin with vi ?
                    Trying doing telephone support to a GP's receptionist trying to get her to vi a printer driver in zenix

Comment

What's wrong with unix?
                      To quote the Preface in the book.

The original Unix solved a problem and solved it well, as did the Roman
                      numeral system, the mercury treatment for syphilis, and carbon paper. And
                      like those technologies, Unix, too, rightfully belongs to history. It was
                      developed for a machine with little memory, tiny disks, no graphics, no
                      networking, and no power. In those days it was mandatory to adopt an attitude
                      that said:

• “Being small and simple is more important than being complete and
                      correct.”

• “You only have to solve 90% of the problem.”

• “Everything is a stream of bytes.”

These attitudes are no longer appropriate for an operating system that hosts
                      complex and important applications. They can even be deadly when Unix
                      is used by untrained operators for safety-critical tasks.

Ironically, the very attributes and design goals that made Unix a success
                      when computers were much smaller, and were expected to do far less, now
                      impede its utility and usability. Each graft of a new subsystem onto the
                      underlying core has resulted in either rejection or graft vs. host disease with
                      its concomitant proliferation of incapacitating scar tissue. The Unix networking
                      model is a cacophonous Babel of Unreliability that quadrupled the
                      size of Unix’s famed compact kernel. Its window system inherited the
                      cryptic unfriendliness of its character-based interface, while at the same
                      time realized new ways to bring fast computers to a crawl. Its new system
                      administration tools take more time to use than they save. Its mailer makes
                      the U.S. Postal Service look positively stellar.

The passing years only magnify the flaws. Using Unix remains an unpleasant
                      experience for beginners and experts alike. Despite a plethora of fine
                      books on the subject, Unix security remains an elusive goal at best. Despite
                      increasingly fast, intelligent peripherals, high-performance asynchronous I/
                      O is a pipe dream. Even though manufacturers spend millions developing
                      “easy-to-use” graphical user interfaces, few versions of Unix allow you to
                      do anything but trivial system administration without having to resort to
                      the 1970s-style teletype interface. Indeed, as Unix is pushed to be more and
                      more, it instead becomes less and less. Unix cannot be fixed from the
                      inside. It must be discarded.

Personally, I like it
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X