• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all

Grrr...Another day stuck at home dam snow!, and another day's lost on the invoice

I did try this morning but only did about 3 miles and gave up ( that took an hour!) Couldn't even make the main road.

Saw 5 bumps and got stuck twice myself Did a fantastic skid - Mr Clarkson would have been proud of my control!

Oh well - another day of snow, dogs, kids and CITV
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Still snowing here, and the schools are shut today.

In a remarkably effective use of technology for our education system, the headmistress at the school last night suggested that those with email addresses should drop her a line and she'd send out an email this morning to indicate whether the school would be open today.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
        Morning all
        Morning ZBD.

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
          Morning all

Grrr...Another day stuck at home dam snow!, and another day's lost on the invoice

I did try this morning but only did about 3 miles and gave up ( that took an hour!) Couldn't even make the main road.

Saw 5 bumps and got stuck twice myself Did a fantastic skid - Mr Clarkson would have been proud of my control!

Oh well - another day of snow, dogs, kids and CITV
          Morning Zara

Probably for the best - things look dicey out there this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            In a remarkably effective use of technology for our education system, the headmistress at the school last night suggested that those with email addresses should drop her a line and she'd send out an email this morning to indicate whether the school would be open today.
            The school which my friend's children go to has a text messaging system. It is also linked to the register - no show = text to mum & dad.

Skiving isn't as easy as it used to be!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

As Johnny Rotten said: "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

Association Football nowadays is a form of punk-rock-alike exploitation of human activity that merely makes money for Rupert Murdoch via his Sky Sports franchise.

When I was a kid (like, six or seven years old) I used to go with my brother and his mates to see South Liverpool play.

They've built a supermarket there now. That's how important the sport is in relation to the community.

Soccer might have made sense when it was something tied to one's own community. Now, it's just a way for big business to make money from you. How many players nowadays grew up anywhere near where they play?

I don't actually despise soccer as a game, although it doesn't interest me. I do despise the way global corporations exploit the sense of community loyalty that they avidly suggest (via cunning marketing strategies) surrounds it, when it is quite clear that such community aspects of the game were already being destroyed in the Sixties, and are most certainly non-existent now.

YMMV.
              I know what you mean. I consider myself fortunate to have become interested in the game in the late seventies, and followed both my father and brother in their support for our particular club - which happened to our local club. You could see the game changing from that point on though, with more and more big money transfers (Bryan Robson et al) going on - I think Sky was just an added catalyst (albeit a very powerful one). I think the sense of community had already gone in the 80's, with most of my local school friends choosing to support teams from further afield like Liverpool just because they were doing eather well at that time.

Comment

Scores on the doors

BrilloPad 20,153
                zeitghost 15,704
                cailin maith 11,884
                Diver 11,051
                DS23 10,002
                TheFaQQer 9,628
                NickFitz 9,019
                BrowneIssue 8,673
                voodooflux 7,731
                FiveTimes 7,139
                Bear 5,792
                El_Diablo 4,256
                Jog On 2,286
                HeliCraig 2,255
                DiscoStu 2,244
                Fortune Green 2,215
                PRC1964 1,532
                DaveB 1,463
                n5gooner 1,290
                Sockpuppet 1,224
                realityhack 1,153
                Troll 1,058
                Xenophon 1,006
                AndyGarbs 907
                Churchill 866
                oracleslave 855
                RichardCranium 734
                zara_backdog 699
                EqualOpportunities 562
                The Lone Gunman 540
                BA to the Stars 513
                Gonzo 493
                KathyWoolfe 468
                AtW 405
                Moscow Mule 382
                ElectricChair 319
                ControlG 311

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                  Morning BEL... isn't it always shorts & t-shirt weather in the north east pet? Wye eye.
                  Of course!

Sometimes we need knee length shorts though if the weather gets really really cold
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG View Post
                    Of course!

Sometimes we need knee length shorts though if the weather gets really really cold
                    Hey BEL

Comment

Morning all

It's frigging snowing again... and at the moment it appears to be sticking.

Bummer.

Comment

Working...
                      X