• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    However, I put on the DVD of the first series of Yes, Minister to watch as I was eating, so I'll probably end up continuing to watch that now
    My copy of that is the container of stuff that is being shipped over for us so I can't get at it for a few more weeks (assuming it arrives at all). That is a shame because I could do with it now

That reminds me, I could just check to see on its progress.

Comment

Right, the boat that has our container on it left Port Klang (Kuala Lumpar) a few hours ago and is due in Singapore tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Hmmm. That's interesting.

It would appear that the boat that has all our stuff on it departs Singapore tomorrow then goes on to a port in Thailand.

After that it goes via Sri Lanka and then the Suez Canal back to Europe.

So I am now starting to wonder, how is our stuff going to get to us here?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          Right, the boat that has our container on it left Port Klang (Kuala Lumpar) a few hours ago and is due in Singapore tomorrow afternoon.

"We are sailing..."

The first episode of Yes, Minister was made as a pilot, and was sufficiently successful that they commissioned a whole series. For the series, they had the well-known music written, and the wonderful graphics created by Gerald Scarfe. IIRC, when the pilot was re-broadcast at the start of the series, they re-edited it to have the new look-and-feel for the title sequence and credits.

However, on the DVD, they've kept episode 1 in its original form. As a result it has graphics that look as if they were knocked together in an afternoon by a student on an unpaid work placement, and the music is of that trumpet-and-trombone-laden ilk that is such a hallmark of Seventies TV sitcoms - similar to the music from Till Death Us Do Part, but with less class

I'm glad they left it like that - it's a little reminder of just how low production values could be back then, attached to one of the greatest shows ever made

Comment

Hmmm. That's interesting.

It would appear that the boat that has all our stuff on it departs Singapore tomorrow then goes on to a port in Thailand.

After that it goes via Sri Lanka and then the Suez Canal back to Europe.

So I am now starting to wonder, how is our stuff going to get to us here?
            Transshipment?

They'll probably unload it, then load it onto another ship.

After all, despite tay's belief that NZ is the centre of the Universe, it's still not feasible for every ship to go there.

Either that or they thought the return address was the shipping address, and you'll have to start again

Comment

Aha! You were right Nick.

It seems that our stuff is going to be unloaded in Singapore, where it will wait for a week before being placed on another boat.

I wonder what the heat and humidty is going to do to all the computer equipment that is on it.
              Last edited by Gonzo; 4 February 2009, 04:17. Reason: Now seen Nick's post.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                However, on the DVD, they've kept episode 1 in its original form. As a result it has graphics that look as if they were knocked together in an afternoon by a student on an unpaid work placement, and the music is of that trumpet-and-trombone-laden ilk that is such a hallmark of Seventies TV sitcoms - similar to the music from Till Death Us Do Part, but with less class

I'm glad they left it like that - it's a little reminder of just how low production values could be back then, attached to one of the greatest shows ever made
                I shall make a point of digging that out when it arrives (fingers crossed).

Comment

Of course what I could really do with finding is the copy of The Mighty Boosh series three that I was given for Christmas because there isn't a lot else for me to watch.

That is definitely here somewhere, but it seems to have gone missing. The finger of suspicion has to point at Mrs Gonzo because she doesn't like that show very much, even though I did catch her laughing once.

Comment

Aha! You were right Nick.

It seems that our stuff is going to be unloaded in Singapore, where it will wait for a week before being placed on another boat.

I wonder what the heat and humidty is going to do to all the computer equipment that is on it.
                    It'll probably be fine, unless a bunch of scorpions or something start nesting in it.

After all, the component parts probably made the opposite journey to get to you in the first place

Anyway, it's time for me to crash

Goodnight - or, in your case, time for afternoon tea

Comment

Although it does appear to be in the lap of the Gods whether I am able to watch any DVDs tomorrow at all.

There were power black-outs in parts of Auckland yesterday, again today, and more expected tomorrow.

I guess that's what you have to expect when you move to a third-world country.

Comment

Working...
                      X