• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    My parents village wasn't on mains gas for years.

My (less than subtle, but quick-witted) sister responded "Yes, but we've got food, though" which fair shut him up.

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    My parents have oil - in fact they only got central heating when I moved out so 1994/95 ish.... before that it was whatever heat the solid fuel fires in the kitchen and living room spat out...

The mains gas only made it to our road last summer
    I don't think there is any chance of us getting mains gas out here, ever. There is only about 3 roads; and the nearest main is some distance away I would imagine (only other villages of similar size for about 6 miles).

We are quite lucky though, because ours is a newly built house; so instead of oil we have gas - which I am told is cheaper by virtue of the appliances which use it (only heating in our hours at the mo). Also, our house is built to the latest building regs so is very very energy efficient.

Even the plasterboard walls and ceilings have a foil backing to keep the heat in!

But best not get me started on the light fittings.

Comment

Right, whats for lunch boys?

Right, what's for lunch? Boys!

HTH
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

It will only sting you in the end. I need to email my spreadsheet to the accountant and get MrsF to take him the accounts folder this week.

HMRC are offering better interest on early payment than my reserve account at the moment, so I may as well get it in early!
        I know, I know.... I'd just rather get the paying work done first. It is on the list immediately after that though. New years resolution is to be up to date on this stuff!

My actual accounts & self assessment are done and in though, saw accountant on Friday for that! Paying it, on the other hand... hmmm.

Somebody else commented on their interest rates! Typical government madness.

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
          My friend had his tanked professionally and it worked a dream - but it was very very expensive. It was an amazing place though - three rooms of man stuff. Brill.

He foolishly thought it would add value to his house. What it did, I suspect, is stop it by falling so much.

He had no choice to sell it last year anyway as part of the divorce. A very bad year for him.
          The people who owned the house before me had some kind of engineer in to look at the problems (according to the people over the back) and he couldn't come up with a solution.

I'm sure that anyone other than my dodgy builder could have come up with a better solution. If there wasn't the flood water, it would have been fine, but as soon as he hit a problem, he disappeared for ages
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The people who owned the house before me had some kind of engineer in to look at the problems (according to the people over the back) and he couldn't come up with a solution.

I'm sure that anyone other than my dodgy builder could have come up with a better solution. If there wasn't the flood water, it would have been fine, but as soon as he hit a problem, he disappeared for ages
            Ahhh, the old "I'll be round on Tuesday."

No comment on which Tuesday!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              BrilloPad
              GreatestOfDads

century
              "GreatestOfDads" !
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

My parents have oil - in fact they only got central heating when I moved out so 1994/95 ish.... before that it was whatever heat the solid fuel fires in the kitchen and living room spat out...

The mains gas only made it to our road last summer
                My parents village got gas in 1993 / 1994 - I had a pipe installed in my parents house while they were on holiday, as BG were doing it for free at the time.

When they moved, they put gas into the "new" house. BG promptly drilled through the waste pipe to the sewers when they put the gas pipe in, though
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  Code:
                  El_Diablo

Kewl!
                  Good morning, sir!!
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

Right, what's for lunch? Boys!

HTH
                    Hello stranger.... how are you?
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                      Ahhh, the old "I'll be round on Tuesday."

No comment on which Tuesday!
                      He was never that precise!!!

When he started the cellar work, MrsF wasn't pregnant. When he finished, DD1 was 6 weeks old.

It took him nearly a year to get it "finished"
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X