• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Do you mean the MSDN Library?

Yup - removing the navigation was definitely a bright idea
    Yes the MSDN Library, they've messed about with it and dead links are in abundance.

Oh well I got what I needed.
    That boy go raaaaaaa
    Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Have I already mentioned* the PIC16F943 in surface mount that I ordered?

It's got 64 pins in a QFP at 0.5mm pitch.

I wish I'd noticed that before ordering 2...

*yes I have, it's old age... I'm repeating myself.

Comment

It's been busy in here today...

Byeeeeee

Comment

Do you mean the MSDN Library?

Yup - removing the navigation was definitely a bright idea
          Hmm, the navigation appears on Firefox, but not on Safari.

They still haven't got the hang of this World Wide Web thing, have they?

They've also messed up all their inline links - they've somehow managed to remove the word-spacing before them.

And on Firefox, it's necessary to disable Firebug for the site, as otherwise simple things like mousing over a link cause a JavaScript error.

Useless fsckwits

Comment

Hmm, the navigation appears on Firefox, but not on Safari.

They still haven't got the hang of this World Wide Web thing, have they?

They've also messed up all their inline links - they've somehow managed to remove the word-spacing before them.

And on Firefox, it's necessary to disable Firebug for the site, as otherwise simple things like mousing over a link cause a JavaScript error.

Useless fsckwits
            The site just doesn't serve the information on there they way it should i.e. simply.
            That boy go raaaaaaa

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
              The site just doesn't serve the information on there they way it should i.e. simply.
              Indeed.

It's always been a bit of a pain, but that was mainly because there was so much information on there, and it was organised in such a counter-intuitive manner, that it took ages to find the stuff you needed.

The major reorganisation within the last couple of years has greatly improved that aspect of it, once one wanders about a bit - stuff tended to be much easier to track down.

However they've now gone mad with loads of completely unnecessary JS widgets, which don't enhance the usability of the site one iota, but rather tend to get in the way.

Microsoft have never shown any signs of having the slightest grasp of the Web - they don't understand hypertext, they do stupid things in complex ways rather than using existing and clearly-defined aspects of HTTP, and their URLs are frankly a disgrace.

And don't even get me started on the way IIS maps URLs to resources - they did it exactly the opposite way around to the way it needed to be done, as well as ignoring fundamental aspects of the HTTP spec. This is why Apache supports simple .htaccess files containing URL rewriting rules, whereas IIS requires you to write an ISAPI filter in C to do the same thing. {*}

(I think they might have cleaned up some of that mess in IIS 7, but I haven't bothered checking it out - Apache just works. And it's free as in both speech and beer.)

{*} Yes, I know mod_rewrite is written in C - I'm talking about the fundamental pipeline for request handling, which in IIS is completely back-assward to the optimal approach.
              Last edited by NickFitz; 28 October 2008, 17:15.

Comment

Indeed.

It's always been a bit of a pain, but that was mainly because there was so much information on there, and it was organised in such a counter-intuitive manner, that it took ages to find the stuff you needed.

The major reorganisation within the last couple of years has greatly improved that aspect of it, once one wanders about a bit - stuff tended to be much easier to track down.

However they've now gone mad with loads of completely unnecessary JS widgets, which don't enhance the usability of the site one iota, but rather tend to get in the way.

Microsoft have never shown any signs of having the slightest grasp of the Web - they don't understand hypertext, they do stupid things in complex ways rather than using existing and clearly-defined aspects of HTTP, and their URLs are frankly a disgrace.

And don't even get me started on the way IIS maps URLs to resources - they did it exactly the opposite way around to the way it needed to be done, as well as ignoring fundamental aspects of the HTTP spec. This is why Apache supports simple .htaccess files containing URL rewriting rules, whereas IIS requires you to write an ISAPI filter in C to do the same thing. {*}

(I think they might have cleaned up some of that mess in IIS 7, but I haven't bothered checking it out - Apache just works. And it's free as in both speech and beer.)

{*} Yes, I know mod_rewrite is written in C - I'm talking about the fundamental pipeline for request handling, which in IIS is completely back-assward to the optimal approach.
                You would think that they'd be able to serve all that information on there via a simpler easier method, I usually only go on there for security related information (that's a joke in its self) but it seems they just plonk stuff on the site randomly.

Have to do some research on SharePoint and Forefront soon too

Edit - Nick I am awarding you specially sanctioned 10 Platinum Diablo Points, as your posts are just too good!
                Last edited by El_Diablo; 28 October 2008, 17:30.
                That boy go raaaaaaa

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
                    Edit - Nick I am awarding you specially sanctioned 10 Platinum Diablo Points, as your posts are just too good!

Cheers, ED!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Evening Brillo
                      That boy go raaaaaaa

Comment

Working...
                      X