• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Clearly some incompetent has been told to replace the page with a 404, and thinks that just sticking up a page saying 404 is adequate, not realising that you have to send the actual HTTP response code.
    It does seem a bit odd to make a page which is pretending to be a 404. Either they should serve a pretty "no longer here" page or just delete the folder and they'll get a proper server 404 for free
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
      It does seem a bit odd to make a page which is pretending to be a 404. Either they should serve a pretty "no longer here" page or just delete the folder and they'll get a proper server 404 for free
      Even if they serve a pretty "no longer here" page they ought to serve it with response code 410, or 404 at a pinch, otherwise it will continue to be indexed by search engines and such. Once they see the 410 (or 404) it will be removed from indexes, whereas as long as it's served with 200 OK it will be assumed to be the actual resource located at that URL and will be indexed.

On the same topic, why don't browsers automatically update bookmarks when they get a 301 Moved Permanently?

Comment

I'm familiar with the technique you describe, but that doesn't make any sense in this context - the page is for their 2005 conference, and is therefore obsolete, so the intention is clearly to actually serve a response saying that the page is no longer available.

Clearly some incompetent has been told to replace the page with a 404, and thinks that just sticking up a page saying 404 is adequate, not realising that you have to send the actual HTTP response code.

And anyway, it should be 410 Gone
        more nerdy stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
          Just a cup of tea and a snog then....
          What do I get for £50?

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
            I am "so" bored......

There must be more to life than this.... If I was younger I'd sell my bod instead

Anything to break the monotony....
            How old are you?

Comment

On the same topic, why don't browsers automatically update bookmarks when they get a 301 Moved Permanently?
              Just tested on Opera 9.22, Firefox 2 and Safari 3 (can't be bothered to dig out the build numbers)... none of them update the URL of a bookmark on receiving a 301 Moved Permanently response, despite the fact that they've just been told that the resource has, um, moved permanently - and they know where to, because they follow the redirect.

Surely the whole point is to update the bookmark so that when you use it again, you get to the actual resource you were trying to get to, rather than having to be redirected a second time?
              Last edited by NickFitz; 24 June 2008, 17:05.

Comment

BrilloPad 12,840
                zeitghost 11,849
                DS23 10,000

hmmm - I am not drivelling enough!

Comment

Surely the whole point is to update the bookmark so that when you use it again, you get to the actual resource you were trying to get to, rather than having to be redirected a second time?
                  Hmm... apparently one of the problems with automatically updating bookmarks is that certain incompetent closed wifi access point administrators use a 301 Moved Permanently redirect to send one to their login page... they should of course use 302 Found (or preferably either 303 See Other or 307 Temporary Redirect)

And where does one find these incompetent buffoons?

Hotel wifi providers, of course

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    Gosh. Things do move on.

That all sounds too hard now.
                    Quite.

There was a time when I could have designed a PC AT it was just a bog standard micro with ttl glue logic & Intel support chips... these days there's no chance

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                      Bye. Thank you for the lecture.

Wavey wave.
                      Is hokay

Hope it was mildly informative...

Comment

Working...
                      X