• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    My Hendrix dvd wot I bought on Saturday in Woolies, is NTSC 525 line 60Hz... so I was a bit peeed off when the telly picture started rolling... fortunately it has a frame adjustment on the front panel so that sorted it.

Funny how the NTSC bit works on a PAL telly though.
    the "new" hendrix at monterey?

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      Ok - now I'm really struggling!!
      Wikipedia tells me everything I "know"

I typed in "Learning To Fly" and got the artist list, then had to go into "Emerson, Lake & Powell" to find out who was who...

TPD is hard work sometimes!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
        cozy and a daft "re-union"
        Cozy Powell was born in Cirencester, Gloucestershire, England, and started playing drums in the school orchestra, thereafter playing along in his spare time to popular singles of the day. The nickname 'Cozy' was borrowed from the jazz drummer Cozy Cole.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The semi-professional circuit was next, with semi-pro outfit The Sorcerers, a vocal harmony pop band. The late nights and usual on-the-road exploits began to affect his education, and Powell left to take an office job in order to finance the purchase of his first set of Premier drums. The Sorcerers performed in the German club scene of the 1960s. to By 1968 the band had returned to England, basing themselves around Birmingham. Powell struck up friendships with fellow musicians like Robert Plant and John Bonham (both at the time unknowns in Listen), future Slade vocalist Noddy Holder, bassist Dave Pegg and a young guitarist called Tony Iommi. The Sorcerers now became Youngblood, and a series of singles were released in late 1968-69. The group then linked up with the Move bassist/singer Ace Kefford to form The Ace Kefford Stand. Powell also began session work. Powell with fellow Sorcerers Dave and Dennis Ball formed Big Bertha.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Powell also played with swamp rocker Tony Joe White at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970. Powell then landed the then highly prestigious drumming job with guitar icon Jeff Beck's group in April 1970. After the recording of two albums, Rough and Ready (October 1971) and The Jeff Beck Group (July 1972), the band fell apart.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

By late 1972 Powell had joined up with the Ball brothers again and with singer Frank Aiello to form Bedlam. One eponymous album was produced for Chrysalis Records (CHR1048) and released in August 1973. Powell also busied himself with extracurricular activities. Beck’s studio producer had been impresario Mickie Most and Powell soon found himself drafted into many a session for artists signed to Most’s RAK label, including Julie Felix, Hot Chocolate, Donovan and Suzi Quatro.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Around this period Most managed to persuade Powell to record an instrumental solo single. ‘Dance With the Devil’ became a smash and reached number 3 in the UK singles chart during January of 1974. The track served to inspire a whole generation of youngsters to take up the drums.

To cash in on his chart success the drummer formed Cozy Powell’s Hammer in April 1974.

Powell had another passion in life - a fascination with fast cars and motorbikes, and raced for Hitachi on the UK saloon car circuit for a few months.

In 1976 he joined Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

In 1980, when Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham died, Powell was considered by the band as a possible replacement for Bonham. The band decided against it and disbanded.

Powell made headlines when he appeared on the BBC children's programme Record Breakers where he set a world record for being the world's fastest drummer live on television.

On August 16, 1980, Rainbow headlined the first ever Monsters of Rock show at Castle Donington, England. Following the success of the event (which in turn followed the success of Rainbow's 1979 Down to Earth LP from which singles Since You Been Gone and All Night Long are taken), Powell left Rainbow along with vocalist Graham Bonnet to start work on Bonnet's new project called Graham Bonnet & the Hooligans, their most notable single being Night Games (1981). Powell then performed with a number of major bands - Michael Schenker Group from 1981 to 1982, Whitesnake from 1982 to 1984, then with Keith Emerson and Greg Lake in 1986 as a member of Emerson, Lake & Powell, Gary Moore in 1989. His most well-known project was Black Sabbath from 1988 to 1991, and again from 1995 - 1996. Sabbath fans routinely consider Powell the band's greatest drummer.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Between late 1992 and early 1993, Powell put together a touring band using the old band name 'Cozy Powell's Hammer' featuring himself on drums, Neil Murray on bass, Mario Parga on guitar and Tony Martin on vocals and occasional rhythm guitar/synth module. The band performed throughout Europe and appeared on German T.V.

Powell along with Neil Murray (fellow ex-member of Cozy Powell's Hammer, Whitesnake, Gary Moore and Black Sabbath) were members of Queen guitarist Brian May's band, playing on the Back To The Light and Another World albums. Cozy played with Brian May opening for Guns N' Roses on the second American leg of their Use Your Illusion tour in 1993. due to start touring with the band in the Autumn of 1998. The duo also served a spell with returning blues legend Peter Green in the mid nineties.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Cozy Powell died on April 5, 1998 following a car crash, driving his Saab 9000 in bad weather on the M4 motorway near Bristol, while talking to his girlfriend on his mobile phone. He was living at Lambourn in Berkshire at the time and had returned to the studio shortly before his death to record with Fleetwood Mac co-founder Peter Green. By that time, he had been the drummer on at least 66 albums with minor contributions on many other recordings. It was generally felt that Powell's death was a great loss to the world of popular music. Countless rock-based drummers have cited Cozy Powell as an influence.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X