• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Right, I'm off to the Job Centre.
    An hour and 45 minutes to fill in a form and have them find me a job to apply for as a pipeline supervisor (WTF?) 30 miles away on £18k.

So I go to the Job Terminals at 16:45 and as I start my search, they turned them off. Why? Because they go home at 17:00.

And they - as usual - pissed my wife off big time.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

An hour and 45 minutes to fill in a form and have them find me a job to apply for as a pipeline supervisor (WTF?) 30 miles away on £18k.

So I go to the Job Terminals at 16:45 and as I start my search, they turned them off. Why? Because they go home at 17:00.

And they - as usual - pissed my wife off big time.
      I don't know why you bother with the dole centre.

A soul destroying exercise for nowt.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

a) they pay your NI
        b) they pay interview expenses <--- this is the main benefit
        c) you can get discounts on training you want
        d) you can get some free training you probably don't want
        e) their free professional CV service is a day out of the house with a bunch of losers which makes you feel better than them
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

a) they pay your NI
          b) they pay interview expenses <--- this is the main benefit
          c) you can get discounts on training you want
          d) you can get some free training you probably don't want
          e) their free professional CV service is a day out of the house with a bunch of losers which makes you feel better than them
          a) at a miserable amount a week
          b) only up to a certain amount
          c) Which was pointless
          d) not very useful if they don't understand your industry

I told Mr N not to bother when they stopped his payments after 6 months and I saw the 30 page form that required filling in if he was to continue getting anything. Also any interviews in London he would only get x amount towards it, given it can cost up to £75 for a day ticket if you get an interview at short notice.
          He seemed to be required to go to an awful lot of pointless seminars.

Good luck anyway.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

a) at a miserable amount a week
            As opposed to creating gaps in the payments.

b) only up to a certain amount
            Depends on the budget remaining for that office, and how good you are at getting them to pay it. I have had them pay overnight accommodation.

c) Which was pointless
            It is something to go on the CV, and something to say in the interview.

d) not very useful if they don't understand your industry
            No, but it gets you out of the house, and that alone is good for the mental health.

Comment

As opposed to creating gaps in the payments.

Depends on the budget remaining for that office, and how good you are at getting them to pay it. I have had them pay overnight accommodation.

It is something to go on the CV, and something to say in the interview.

No, but it gets you out of the house, and that alone is good for the mental health.
              Better thee than me.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Better thee than me.
                Fairy nuffski.

Comment

Morning all

Comment

I would normally agree but after my stint this time last year and coupled with RC's experience last year he is probably better placed to
                    "play" the system more than most

Comment

Morning All

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X