• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I'm in Ireland till tomorrow.... cue twilight zone music
    on Peaty Island

Comment

Greetings, salutations, and felicitations to thee, the recondite and rebarbative denizens of TPD

Does anybody else here use Google to check their spelling? It was confused by "rebarbative", yet Mac OS X's dictionary has no problem with the word:
      rebarbative |rəˈbärbətiv|
      adjective formal
      unattractive and objectionable : rebarbative modern buildings.
      ORIGIN late 19th cent.: from French rébarbatif, -ive, from Old French se rebarber ‘face each other “beard to beard” aggressively,’ from barbe ‘beard.’
      although Safari still underlines it with a dotted red line - it seems to be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing

Oh, hang on - Safari has ceased underlining it

Maybe looking a word up in Dictionary.app makes the system become aware of it, or some such

(Aside: I wonder how those phonetic symbols will be treated by vBulletin... where's the "strongly suspects that something will go totally tits-up but is hoping to be pleasantly surprised" smiley ")

And of course, the definition shows that the denizens of TPD are the opposite of "rebarbative"... I just felt like using an arcane word, and now it's backfired because I have to write all this gubbins

Comment

Comment

Unemployment 2 %
          Transport 97 %
          Criminality 3 %
          Pollution 5 %

pop=1000, rank=181

looks like I was the 1000th inhabitant

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Greetings, salutations, and felicitations to thee, the recondite and rebarbative denizens of TPD

Does anybody else here use Google to check their spelling? It was confused by "rebarbative", yet Mac OS X's dictionary has no problem with the word:
            rebarbative |rəˈbärbətiv|
            adjective formal
            unattractive and objectionable : rebarbative modern buildings.
            ORIGIN late 19th cent.: from French rébarbatif, -ive, from Old French se rebarber ‘face each other “beard to beard” aggressively,’ from barbe ‘beard.’
            although Safari still underlines it with a dotted red line - it seems to be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing

Oh, hang on - Safari has ceased underlining it

Maybe looking a word up in Dictionary.app makes the system become aware of it, or some such

(Aside: I wonder how those phonetic symbols will be treated by vBulletin... where's the "strongly suspects that something will go totally tits-up but is hoping to be pleasantly surprised" smiley ")

And of course, the definition shows that the denizens of TPD are the opposite of "rebarbative"... I just felt like using an arcane word, and now it's backfired because I have to write all this gubbins
            top quality techie post.....

Comment

Kelvedon nuclear buker today - it is top secret...

Comment

morning all

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  Hey Sweety Zeity..... got back in the middle of the night last night....

Seems I haven't missed much.... I'm in Ireland till tomorrow.... cue twilight zone music
                  Did they issue free hoodies on the chav flight back?

Comment

Morning all, just to let you know I'm still alive (but not kicking) as I've not posted for most of last week.......
                    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Does anybody else here use Google to check their spelling?
                      Yes.

Unfortunately one may be hung by one's own Piccard, since the incorrect spellung appears nearly as often as the correct.

And if it's got a "u" in it, your stuffed because the cousins (or cosins) appear to dislike "u"s...

Comment

Working...
                      X