• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U

U blocker n. A turd so big it causes a jobbie jam in the plumbing system.

U.D.I. Unidentified drinking injury. A mysterious injury received during a bender (qv) and of which the victim has no recollection.

Uncle Albert's beard n. See jelly jewellery.

Uncle Fester n. A goolie-ish bald headed man from the old Adam family, who occasionally rises and puts the willies up your missus.

undef**kable adj. Damaged beyond repair.

up to your nuts in guts euph. male Aus. Engaged in sexual intercourse.

undercarriage n. Genitalia (male or fem); wedding tackle.

undercrackers n. Keeks; shreddies; Y fronts.

unit n. Penis. As in: "I slipped her my unit".

up, in, out & off exclm. Extensive director's instructions to their leading actors in grumbleflicks.

up on blocks adj. Of a woman. A monthly MOTT failure due to a recurring leak under the beetle bonnet.

uphill gardener euph. He who hoes on the pink allotments; the pusher of a cheesey wheelbarrow (qv) up the kak canyon; a male homosexual.

U.T.B.N.B. abbr. Up The Bum No Babies. A reliable, yet illegal contraceptive device; opposite of an I.U.D.
    I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      It was interesting to find out that Cap'n Jack becomes the Face of Bow... just a throwaway line at the end of the episode....
      Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! You spoiler git, you! I missed it, didn't I? I've been walking around all day, cutting people off when they start to talk about it, and sure enough I stumble across a spoiler in testpleasedelete, for crying out loud.

Comment

V

vadge n. Va**na; fish mitten. Also US vag.

Valentines Day porridge n. Semen.

veiny bang stick n. Penis; one eyed trouser snake.

Vegetarian n, Someone who prefers the rear entrance, See also Buffty NEW

velcro arse adj. Descriptive of the condition of the buttocks after a long hot day.

Velcro triangle n. Minge; mott; mapatasi. Also Velcro valley.

vertical bacon sandwich n. That which is clearly visible in hamburger shots (qv). Also vertical smile, vertical taco.

vinegar strokes n. male The final, climactic stages of intercourse or masturbation. As in: "Would you believe it? The phone rang just as I was getting onto the vinegar strokes". From the similar facial expressions achieved when sipping vinegar.

verminillionaire n. A lottery winner who doesn't deserve it, has a criminal record as long as your arm, and spends all the cash on helicopters and Ferraris.

vixen n. A wily bird; a young temptress; a foxy chick. e.g. Stevie Nicks in about 1978.

vixer n. A sausage eater (not euph.) who hogs all the beach beds on foreign holidays.

vurp n. A burp which brings up a small but foul tasting quantity of stomach contents, small enough to be gulped straight back down again.

Comment

I'm back , what have I missed ?
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
            I'm back , what have I missed ?
            U & V !

Comment

Originally posted by Clownio
              U & V !

can be bad for you, UV lights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV

Ultraviolet (UV) light is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength shorter than that of visible light, but longer than soft X-rays.
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Clownio
                U & V !
                Clownio, you have started him off again!
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

The U and V class was a class of sixteen destroyers of the Royal Navy launched in 19421943. They were constructed in two flotillas, each with names beginning with "U-" or "V-", although there was a return to pre-war practice of naming the designated flotilla leader after a famous naval figure from history, to honour the lost ships Grenville and Hardy. The flotillas were known as the 7th and 8th Emergency Flotilla, respectively.

Comment

'u' & 'v'

The letter ‘u’ was used interchangeably with the letter ‘v’ in later medieval and early modern times. Simpson, in Scottish Handwriting 1150-1650, reports a tendency in the later Middle Ages to use the letter ‘v’ at the beginning of a word and ‘u’ within a word. For example: the word ‘unused’ might be written ‘vnused’.

Comment

Guidelines on the choice of u and v
                      1. Whatever we choose for u is going to have to be integrated at the start in order to get the routine moving. We don't want this first stage to be hard. So ask ``What is the largest chunk of the integrand that I can integrate in my head?'' If there is an obvious answer, try taking this chunk for u and letting v be the rest.
                      2. If (1) doesn't give a clear lead, switch your attention to v and ask ``Is there part of the integrand which will simplify on differentiating?'' If so, you have a possible candidate for v.
                      Functions which simplify on differentiating

xn for n 1, ln x, arctan x, arcsin x.

Example 7..7 I = x sin x dx

Solution Both x and sin x can be integrated in your head. However, x simplifies on differentiating, while sin x does not. So take u = sin x and v = x.

Example 7..8 I = x arctan x dx

Solution Although both components are on the ``simplify on differentiating'' list, x is something we can integrate in our heads, while arctan x is not. So take u = x and v = arctan x. Then

u(x) dx = and =

Therefore

I = arctan x - dx

Not home yet, but we have made progress.

dx = dx = 1 - dx = dx -

Example 7..9 I = sin3x dx

Solution Apply the criterion. The largest part of the integrand that you can integrate in your head is sin x. So take this as u, the rest as v and trust to providence. The result is

I = - cos x sin2x + 2sin x cos2x dx

Again there is still work to do before we get an answer.

However, if you put u = cos x into the righthand integral, nice things happen.

Example 7..10 I = arctan x dx

Solution Another hard one. However, arctan x is still a function we'd be happier differentiating. So think of this as v. If this is v and the whole thing is uv, then u must be 1.

Try it and see what happens.

Note that integration by parts doesn't always get you all the way to the answer. All it hopes to achieve is to give you an easier integral than the one you started with. How you deal with this easier integral is your problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X