• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HRH View Post
    Well done gold stars all round, what divorce are you up to now? I'm guessing two or above.....
    I'm having a mock divorce at the moment, kind of 'try before you buy' sort of thing.

Have yet to do marriage #1
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Well done gold stars all round, what divorce are you up to now? I'm guessing two or above.....
      Stop being such a numpty
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

just come back from lunch

it was supposed to be all you can eat at the Pizza Hut in All Saints

unfortunatley it was a PH Express only

so the (permie) guy who organised it is made to look an idiot in front of everybody

ending up going to JD Wetherspoons in Greenwich instead
        Married

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          Stop being such a numpty
          I think you'll find 'Jog On' started this.

Comment

Webby I demand you end this madness, its wasting bandwith.
            Webby? Who is webby?

"bandwidth" is one of the terms that the managers use round here to hide their stupidity - could you ellucidate please?

Comment

Webby I demand you end this madness, its wasting bandwith.
              Are you addressing me?

I wondered how long it would be before somebody would pop up and demonstrate their complete lack of understanding of how the web works

To start with: the spider isn't running at the moment, so it isn't using any bandwidth anyway.

When it was running "intensively" (which it wasn't really) it was over a Bank Holiday weekend (deliberately) when few people were viewing the site. To be honest, I could run it at the busiest time and it would make no difference.

When it's running it only requests the HTML, which is around 16K for an average page - all the additional bandwidth used by web browsers, downloading images, CSS and scripts, isn't necessary. This saves around 49 HTTP request per page over the amount your browser makes (this varies depending on the number of smilies on the page, and whether you have avatars turned on).

This amounts to about 190K a page that it doesn't request, which probably drops to around 12K if your browser has effective caching - although each of the 49 request is still made, only to get a "not-modified" response, and it's HTTP requests that slow down a server, not serving data.

When you made your post, around 100K of extra scripts and CSS were loaded by your browser, and 138K of traffic for the smiley gallery. Therefore, your post was the equivalent of around 16 pages worth of indexing. And another four or five for reading the page you were replying to. And for every page you read. And every post you make.

If there was the slightest possibility that my spider would have a harmful effect on the site I have no doubt the administrators would have been on to me to ask me to stop. (If there were the possibility, I wouldn't have written it in the first place.) I daresay they also realise that 16K here and there, in a single HTTP request/response cycle, is so unutterably trivial to a web server that it's not worth bothering about.

Google probably uses more of this site's bandwidth each day than I would consume in a week, as it looks at everything, and revisits everything, not just looking for the last page on one thread.

Now go back to your database, and leave us "webbys" to build the future for you

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Webby? Who is webby?

"bandwidth" is one of the terms that the managers use round here to hide their stupidity - could you ellucidate please?
                elucidate
                Married

Comment

Right, time to get back to work

Later denizens

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Now go back to your database, and leave us "webbys" to build the future for you
                    carpentry

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                      carpentry
                      earning loads of money
                      Married

Comment

Working...
                      X