• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portraits of Stars and their Constellations
    Dedicated to showing that all stars are not the same
    Created by Jim Kaler , Prof. Emeritus of Astronomy, University of Illinois

To go to the stars, enter the observatory

http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/

Comment

Constellations

Welcome to the Munich Astro Archiv Constellation Pages.

Being asked most people would name the twelve constellations of the zodiac and some more they have heard of or even seen (most common is surely the Big Dipper, though it is not a constellation but an asterism). In total there are 88 constellations, which can be divided into eight constellation families (see Menzel, "A Field Guide to the Stars and Planetes").

Many names we use nowadays came from the ancient Greeks. They used to assign their gods and heroes to certain figures in the sky. Due to their northern location they only gave names to those regions visible from their countries. The regions around the celestial south pole got some of their names when the astronomer Johan Bayer made his notes about the south regions of the sky. He followed the tradition of the names of the ancient, mainly connected to the sea and its creatures. Later on the french astronomer La Caille added the last 13 to fill the star-poor regions between the existing groups. He finally broke with the traditional namegiving and used scientific equipment or instruments (there is only one exception, which is Mensa, the Table Mountain).

http://www.seds.org/Maps/Const/constS.html

Comment

Welcome to the Creatures Wiki - a place where you can find out about the Creatures artificial life games, and discover new and exciting agents, metarooms, COBs, tools and more for your norns.

If what you're looking for isn't here, you can tell the world what you know about it - help improve this site today! Jump in and make new pages, or edit 2,831 existing ones. Be sure to look at the help first! Can't do stuff now? Add us to your bookmarks (Ctrl+D) or search box.

To chat with other users or ask for help, be sure to visit the Forum!

Creatures Wiki in other languages: Creatures Wiki France

http://creatures.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Comment

Since the previous Debrecen workshop on High-Energy Ion-Atom Collisions there have been numerous experiments and substantial theoretical developments in the fields of fast ion-atom and ion- solid collisions concerned with explicating the previously largely underappreciated role of electrons as ionizing and exciting agents in such collisions. Examples to be discussed include the double electron ionization problem in He; transfer ionization by protons in He; double excitation in He; backward scattering of electrons in He; the role of electron-electron interaction in determining beta parameters for ELC; projectile K ionization by target electrons; electron spin exchange in transfer excitation; electron impact ionization in crystal channels; resonant coherent excitation in crystal channels; excitation and dielectronic recombination in crystal channels; resonant transfer and excitation; the similarity of recoil ion spectra observed in coincidence with electron capture vs. electron loss; and new research on ion-atom collisions at relativistic energies.

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/product.b...sti_id=6607852
          Last edited by DS23; 1 July 2007, 09:47.

Comment

actually, I was a bit too quick on that. The way I understand the algorithm, you have a plane equation in the BSP stored as

(N.x * x) + (N.y * y) + (N.z * z) + d = 0

and you simplify the BSP/OBB collision by reducing the test to a single ray with beveled planes. Then the beveled plane becomes

r = fabs(N * Box.DirX) * Box.HalfSize.x + fabs(N * Box.DirY) * Box.HalfSize.y + fabs(N * Box.DirZ) * Box.HalfSize.Z

(N.x * x) + (N.y * y) + (N.z * z) + (d+r) = 0

and you cast a ray from the box centre along the box displacement.

I am not sure if it is (d+r) or (d-r) in the plane equation, but it should be pretty clear once you try both if aren't sure yourself.
            http://www.gamedev.net/community/for...age=1&#1052742
            Last edited by DS23; 1 July 2007, 10:43.

Comment

The Box

Monica....Salma Hayek
              Jonathan.....Jimmy Fallon
              Ray.....Will Forte

[ open on couple entering front room of house. An oversized box sits on the floor in the foreground of scene. ]

Monica: Mmm.. I had such a good time tonight!

Jonathan: Me, too! You're really amazing.

Monica: I never thought I could feel like this..

Jonathan: I like what's happening here.

Monica: Yeah, me too. [ they kiss ]

Jonathan: [ notices the box, stares at it ] What's with this box?

Monica: [ like it's nothing ] Oh, somebody mailed something to my loser husband..

Jonathan: You don't think he has any idea what's going on with us, do you?

Monica: [ laughs ] Oh, puh-leez! That ignoramous doesn't suspect a thing!

Ray: [ voice muffled, because he's inside the box ] He does NOW!!

[ Monica and Jonathan are startled by the yell, unable to determine where it's coming from ]

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/02/02obox.phtml

Comment

Tee-shirt Ignoramous 10 up, 3 down

(Noun) A person, usually a girl, who wears tee shirts that A. Contain slogans that he or she doesn't understand,
                B. is a band tee of a band he or she doesn't listen to,
                C. is worn only to impress someone else. At worst in case A, the slogan will be very, very crude and/or sexual. At worst in case B, the subject will not even know that the band he/she has on his/her tee is a band! At worst in case C, the person whom he/she is trying to impress will ask them about it and laugh at the subject for wearing that shirt.

A.Boy: "Practise safe lunch: use a condiment! Haha. I don't get it. OH WELL!"
                Store clerk:"You are such a tee-shirt ignoramous..."

B.Girl 1: "Ramones? Probably some new designer brand! FWEE!"
                Girl 2:"I looked it up before... All that came up was some icky goth band..."
                Store Clerk: "Y'all are ALL tee-shirt ignorami!"

C.Boy: "Woah, you like the Ramones? What's your favorite song?"
                Girl: "What? Uh..."
                Boy: "You don't listen to the Ramones, do you? Hahaha. You poseur! You're such a tee-shirt ignoramous!"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...irt+Ignoramous

Comment

Goth-Icky: A Macabre Menagerie of Morbid Monstrosities
                  Charles S. Anderson Design Company (Illustrator), Michael J. Nelson,Paperback,Series: Pop Ink Book Series, English-language edition,Pages:176,Pub BY HNA Books
                  » Learn more at Barnes & Noble

http://www.gifts.com/products/Barnes...-Monstrosities

Comment

***Monstresses and Monstrosities***

Interested in monster myths? Then you should really check out the story of Heracles' 12 Labors, dontcha think?

Brize
                    Brize was the Gadfly Hera sent after Io to torment her. This gadfly was the size of a sparrow with a stinger as big as a dagger. Hermes, who eventually was sent by Zeus to save the poor girl (or cow) killed the gadfly. If you want to know more, check out the Myth Pages. In case you didn't figure it out, Brize means Gadfly.

Campe
                    Campe was the jailoress in Tartarus who guarded the Cyclopes and the Hecatoncheires (the Giants). She was double-shaped, and female to her hips. From her chest to her thighs she was covered in fish scales. Over her shoulders a scorpion curled around itself. She was killed by Zeus when he freed the Cyclopes and the Giants to fight the Titans. Campe means "Crooked".

Charybdis
                    Charybdis was once a nymph, the daughter of Poseidon and Gaia. And she flooded lands for her father's underwater kingdom until Zeus turned her into a monster (for stealing and eating some of Heracles' sheep - well, they were really Geryon's sheep, check it out in the Myth Pages) and had her suck in and out water three times an day. She lived in a cave on the Sicilian side of the Strait of Messina, opposite the monster Scylla (see below), the two of them forming a dangerous threat to passing ships. She probably explained a whirlpool. Odysseus managed to avoid Charybdis in the Odyssey. This is great: Charybdis literally means "sucker down".

Chimaera
                    The Chimaera was one part lion to one part goat to one part snake/dragon, and even though we're relatively comfortable with her looks, her parentage is under question. Homer asserts that she was bred by some dude named Amisodarus, but for once I'm gonna go with Hesiod, who says she was one of the many children of Echidna (see below) and Typhon. There are different versions of how these animals were put together to create her, so whatever your imagination says is probably right. As she was like super-monster, she was having a pretty good life just wandering the countryside, killing sheep every once in a while - and there wasn't gonna be anyone who tried to stop her - did I mention that she breathed fire? Yeah, that, too. But this one chick, Sthenoboea, caused all this drama, and made one dude try to kill this other heroic-type dude, named Bellerophon. Wait, you're thinking, what about Chimaera? Well, Dude Number One thought that the best way to get away with killing Dude Two (Bellerophon) would be to insist he go against (ie, kill) the terrible monster that was ravaging the countryside. Turns out our chica wasn't a match for the heroic Bellerophon (who, by the way, was riding the flying horse, Pegasus, that sprang out of the dead Medusa's body - read more about Medusa below). The hero had a lead spear, which wasn't too effective against Chimaera until he stopped trying to use the pointy aspect of it. Instead, he jammed it down her throat, and her fiery breath melted the lead which poured into her stomach and killed her. Alternatively, he just shot her with an arrow from far away, but I think the first version is better.

http://www.paleothea.com/LadyMonsters.html

Comment

Death Blows
                      Many Dying Patients Are Subjected to a Violent Procedure That Almost Never Saves Their Lives. The Treatment? CPR

By Jennifer Obel
                      Special to The Washington Post
                      Tuesday, April 2, 2002; Page HE01

She was a spry 84. Although her heart and kidneys were failing, she still enjoyed the opera and her ritual morning newspaper and coffee. This woman told her daughter that when her time came, she wanted to die without extraordinary measures, but her physician never asked her about her attitude toward death. When she was hospitalized for heart failure and later found in bed without a pulse, the "code team" -- which included me, a resident -- was called in to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). There were no do-not-attempt-resuscitation (DNAR) orders in her chart.

We immediately stripped her and she lay naked in front of us. I thrust down on her chest repeatedly. With each stroke, her frail ribs snapped under my weight. Someone else prodded her neck and groin, jabbing needles into her to gain IV access. A tube was jammed down her throat and blood oozed from her mouth. We all stood back and watched as the defibrillator sent electrical shocks ripping through her. We kept this up for 30 minutes. She was then declared "officially" dead.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

Comment

Working...
                      X