• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saladin is buried in a mausoleum in the garden outside the Umayyad Mosque in Damascus, Syria. Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany donated a new marble sarcophagus to the mausoleum. Saladin was, however, not placed in it. Instead the mausoleum now has two sarcophagi: one empty in marble and one in wood containing the body of Saladin.
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Saladin was portrayed by Bernard Kay in the 1965 Doctor Who serial The Crusade. In the same production, Julian Glover portrayed Richard the Lionheart. The script portrayed Richard far less favourably than Saladin, in accordance with the Romantic tradition established by Walter Scott's The Talisman.
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

Saladin was portrayed by Ghassan Massoud in the 2005 motion picture Kingdom of Heaven. The filmmakers sought to portray a Saladin acceptable both to Western and Middle Eastern audiences, but in doing so Saladin is reduced to a solely reactive character, albeit a noble one, going to war against the Crusaders only in retribution for the horrific acts perpetrated by the Christian Templars. In one of the scenes featured in the Director's Cut, Saladin takes up arms after a discussion with a Muslim leader who was distraught over the fact that the crusaders slaughtered the city of Jerusalem. Near the end of the film Orlando Bloom's character, Balian, asks him "What is Jerusalem worth?". Saladin answers "Nothing." and walks away. He then turns back and, gesturing towards himself, says "Everything" - most likely a reference to earlier in the film, where it was established that he garnered support among the reactionary (and restless) clerics by promising the return of Jerusalem to Muslim hands from the Christian occupiers.
        SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Saladin was portrayed by Ahmed Mazhar in the film Al Nasser Salah Ad-Din directed by Youssef Chahine. The movie portrayed Saladin as a pacifist and noble knight, borrowing a few plot elements and general tone from Walter Scott's The Talisman. There are numerous subtle and not-so-subtle allusions to Saladin as a medieval Nasser, seeking to unite a pan-Arab middle east against western incursion.
          SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Saladin was portrayed by Ian Keith in the 1935 film The Crusades (film), directed by Cecil B. deMille. Notable in this film adaptation is the plot element whereby Saladin captures, and falls in love with, the wife of Richard the Lionheart.
            SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Saladin is being portrayed in a new animated TV series, Saladin: The Animated Series, being produced in Malaysia.[14]
              SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Saladin plays a vital role in Swedish writer Jan Guillou's books about Arn Magnusson, a Knights Templar determined to liberate Jerusalem
                SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Saladin is the subject of Tariq Ali's novel 'The Book of Saladin'. The novel follows Saladin's progression towards re-capturing Jerusalem through the eyes of his fictional biographer/scribe, Isaac ibn Yakub.
                  SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Playing as Saladin makes for one of the single-player campaigns featured in the game Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings.
                    SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Saladin is shown as the leader of Arabia in the video game Civilization IV.
                      SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                      X