• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so there you have it... you pays yer muny & teks yer choice...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      so there you have it... you pays yer muny & teks yer choice...

Zeity
      got
      a

Comment

Off now to cuddle the cat, 'king 'eck, this Horizon was not overly interesting...

Comment

Monday's Time Team investigated Edward III round table...

As part of the programme they had "knights" jousting....

And this was the programme that killed that chap back in the summer when a bit of a lance pierced his eye & he died about a fortnight later.

Bummer really.

Comment

Byeeee

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              Byeeee
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Switch off-O'clock

Goodnight and keep up the drivel.

Comment

Evening denizens

Last night's drivelling ran down the MacBook's battery so much that it went into deepest sleep mode while I was at work

Even the way it resurrects itself, once given power again, has an elegant beauty... knowing what's going on behind the scenes I wouldn't technically care if it exhibited the vague ugliness of a Microsoft product when recovering from such a situation... but the fact that, instead, it looks elegant and polished whilst recovering somehow reassures one that the underlying technology is fundamentally sound.

Not a silk purse from a sow's ear, not a pig with makeup on... yet somehow, a Windows machine recovering from hibernation only ever looks like one of those.

Steve Jobs said years ago that "The problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste. None whatsoever."

Apparently Bill Gates deeply resented that... probably because it's true

After all, when was the last time somebody said of a Microsoft product that "It's beautiful"?

Never, as far as I know. I certainly never have. Functional, elegant, fit for purpose, all these and more... but I've never ever looked at an MS product and thought, "Wow. That looks wonderful."

I know looks aren't everything, but the fact that the MacBook awakening from a hibernation forced upon it unexpectedly makes me say "Wow, that's nice" speaks volumes - one can somehow tell that the thirst for quality exhibited in the user experience is also a primary driving force of the engineering that went into the system.

Let's face it: when did anybody ever feel inspired to write so much drivel about the fact that their Windows machine had just come out of hibernation, and they'd enjoyed watching the process.

Comment

And on that note I shall retire to my bed.

When I arrived at the hotel yesterday I was informed that I would be in room 220, and given my keycard.

Upon opening the door of room 220 with said keycard I encountered somebody else's clothing hung up there, and worst of all, none of the dresses were even my size

So I'm stuck in one of the emergency reserve ground floor rooms now

I don't really mind - at least I'm nearer the Super Monkey Car this way, in case I can't take it any more and want to make a quick getaway.

Comment

Oh, one more thing: on the Tube ride back, I had an interesting insight inspired by Wittgenstein's assertion that "If a lion could speak, we would not be able to understand him", when taken in conjunction with the concept of the Universal Turing Machine.

The musings inspired thereby may possibly inform a presentation I might give at the forthcoming BarCampLondon4, if I have time to think it all through.

(Although Godel's Incompleteness Theorem will obviously be central to my further ponderings on this matter.)

Anyway, on that note, Goodnight denizens

Comment

Working...
                      X