• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    "Linux is ready for the desktop!"

How many years have they being saying that now?
    I was first told that before May 1995.

I was using Xenix back in ... thinks ... 1986? That just worked.
    You probably just need to apt-get a bunch of modules and then recompile your kernel. Then use a disk sector editor to configure your boot loader using hexadecimal to apply the correct track and cylinder offsets and Bob's your uncle. Much easier than Windows.
    The last time I tried this I gave up at the "recompile the kernel" stage because I couldn't get an open source C compiler that was already compiled. I needed a working Linux box with a C compiler on it so I could compile my downloaded C compiler so Icould compile my operating system. FFS.

That sort of activity made sense when Honeywell built a brand new mainframe and the first assembler is written in machine code with just enough code to produce a slightly better assembler.

I really, really, really, really want to make this work. I've switched to OpenOffice.org and FireFox and so on. I am running Windows ME on the desktops and Win 98SE on my server - I will NOT upgrade them 'cos Micro$oft aren't getting any more money out of me.

Linux appears to be the alternative ... but I can see why hardened "Macs aren't real computers" people are quietly moving that way.

Linux should not be this bloody hard.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
      WAKE UP BEAR

What? What? I wasn't asleep.....

......I was just looking at my desk ...very closely
      Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post

and why are you mopping the dribble from your chin and desk ?

Comment

Ubuntu

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          tried shouting and swearing yet?
          It's getting close.

I did my research beforehand, spoke to people who say it's easy, worked out what flavour and version to go for, got the necessary hardware...

My intention was to show just how easy this is and to show just how clever I am by being able to install and configure Linux for the first time and get it done before lunch.

It's no wonder Joe Public isn't interested.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

and why are you mopping the dribble from your chin and desk ?
            That's not dribble - I just spilt my water

Comment

Permies still not back....
              Written at 13:46 ... when I was a permie I would have been expecting at least one more round to be ordered at 13:46!

Comment

Right, I'm off to the motorway - should have headed off over an hour ago, but what the hell... I'm too good to these people

See you later, folks
                You won't see this until tonight at least but the thought counts, I hope:

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  Written at 13:46 ... when I was a permie I would have been expecting at least one more round to be ordered at 13:46!
                  Indeed 14:30 is a reasonable time to return to work. 15:00 is taking the piss

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post

Will be printed, laminated and wall-mounted.

Excellent!

Comment

Sorry - just realised my mistake there

You don't return to work - you return to your desk

The 2 are quite different

Comment

Working...
                      X